main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Superman" Luke of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 9, 2018.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    No, I'm saying that no matter how good TLJ was, there's always going to be someone that hates it. There's always been someone that's hated a new SW movie going back to TESB.

But I already said this.

rjrjr likes this.
  2. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    Fair enough. I won't beat a dead horse.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Ok fine, they don't feel organic to me, and that conclusion is as valid as another's. There is no massive lawbook decreeing what is organic or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My dislike of TFA basically comes down to the fact it is set 30 years after RotJ, but it doesn't feel like anything changed. It feels like the good guys are still just fighting the Empire, with the galaxy basically regressing to ANH, even though I know they aren't. The Jedi are myths again, maybe even more so since it is just Luke and his exploits.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What was Luke's characterisation in TNJO?

Obviously, which is why I called you out on suggesting otherwise.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In the NJO, Luke was initially reticent about using the Force in any large way. He was persuaded by Mara Jade that using the Force precludes receiving guidance from it. He also tells the Jedi not to fight in the war but to scout and defend.

Later on, talking to Vergere and Jacen gets him to loosen up.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    JJ Abrams let Rian Johnson makes changes to TFA's script. The two are not at odds.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Depends what you mean on at "odds". Zahn, Anderson, Traviss, Denning etc all collaborated but were sort of at odds. Veitch changed Dark Empire to fit Zahn because he had to, not because there were no artistic disagreements

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Always had the sense that Veitch and Anderson were being the more professional there in working with Zahn and Stackpole, but it not being reciprocated in turn.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In the case of Dark Empire and Heir to the Empire, the former was fully written with the intention that it be placed a year or so after ROTJ.

It had a single line added into the comic along with the "opening crawl" addressing the events of Heir to the Empire to adjust it to afterward, even though the "New Republic" is reduced to a single hidden base on Da Soocha.

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Later issues added "The kids are aafe on New Alderaan!" to acknowledge the Thrawn Trilogy.

Also at the end of DE, Luke proclaims after defeating Palpatine that "You will surrender to the New Republic!" in a totally awesome moment.

It's a nice inversion of 8. We spend all DE thinking the heroes are a Rebellion, but Luke trumphantly proclaims them the New Republic in the end. :)

In 8, we think of the heroes as the New Republic until in the end Luke proclaims them as a Rebellion...

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Luke is still Superman in the NU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, if would be silly for Luke to proclaim a group that fits in the Falcon the New Republic...

But then he's just refuting line by line what Ben just said, so I wouldn't really imbue it with deeper meaning than that.

Revanfan1 and nancipants like this.
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Luke attempted to murder Ben, he certainly did not go to his room late at night to give his lightsaber a polish. It should not be a big surprise since Luke skirted the Dark Side since ESB. Neither the Dark Side nor the Light Side can be permanently snuffed out and they exist in all living creatures. Fear attracts the fearful, the weak and strong alike and Luke was fearful. Also what seems apparent is that Dark Side is growing in power and seeking vessels, same as the Light does.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He went into the room to read his mind while he was asleep.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    With his lightsaber activated? I'll just sneak into your room to read your journal, but I'll make sure to bring my gun! Not suspicious!

LelalMekha and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    did you see the movie?

because he didn't go into the hut with his lightsaber activated

Revanfan1 and Jedi Princess like this.
  18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Charles Xavier has gotten more hate for doing less.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can tell you're a big X-Men fan

Ulicus and sidv88 like this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke's actions did remind me of Luke drifting towards darkness in LOTF and his cynicism in FOTJ.

But for all the previous works problems-they handled both those issues far better than TLJ did.

As for Demi God Luke-I never had a problem with that and felt it was appropriate.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    As far as I can tell post-NJO Luke does things far more out of character than anything he does in TLJ.

Care to explain?

adalmentia, Ghost, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  22. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    There's one reason I can totally buy everything Luke does in the Sequel Trilogy compared to the EU: Mark Hamill.

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Luke Skywalker is more prone to beating himself up than becoming the huge jerkass he was in the Legacy era.

24. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Oh, 100 percent. One of my favorite characterizations of him was "Luke takes responsibility for everything in the galaxy," because, yeah, he totally would. It's one of the reasons why I didn't mind the idea of his exile in FotJ (the execution is what made it wonky).

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Fans tend to be more forgiving of ruthless behavior than cowardice I think. Batman telling Ra's I won't kill you but I don't have to save you should have gotten a lot more fan rage than it did. Batman hiding for years after the Dark Knight got more flack I think. This may be why some can accept ruthless Luke but not running Luke.

ImpKnight likes this.