main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Maz Kanata in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by woj101, Dec 15, 2017.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    It was just a nice little cameo.

2. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Apparently she’s more than a bar keep, she’s also a bad a**

3. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Double post

4. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Oops sorry glitchy today

5. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    It would be good if she participated only in Episode VII and XI, I found her participation in this film strange and fast. Another thing I did not like was what Luke did with the saber at the beginning of the movie, I waited 2 years for something better. Other than these two things, I liked the movie.

6. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    The movie needed more Maz. I liked that Poe and the other characters knew her and how to contact her. But found it a bit odd since she didn't go back to the resistance base as in the original TFA cut. Must've been some offscreen moment on Takodana when the resistance won after Rey was kidnapped.

I did find it funny -- Maz's comment -- that the code breaker was "good at...everything" and then awkward silence.
    That made me smirk.

7. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    A lot of reviewers panned the Maz appearance, but I loved it and thought it was well done. They showed her character while she was kicking but and serving a plot function. And she was super cute and funny! More Maz in Episode 9!

8. Darth_Christmas

Darth_Christmas Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    Calling her, and having her be in the middle of a game of Call of Duty or whatever, was just dumb. I didn't like it at all.

Of course, I disliked the whole plan to disable the tracking system.

9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I never liked maz from the beginning. I thought she was a jerk in Ep 7 to Finn. Now I know she's an idiot. Who answers a phone call while getting shot at? Looked like a ratchet and clank cutscene

10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I never liked maz from the beginning. I thought she was a jerk in Ep 7 to Finn. Now I know she's an idiot. Who answers a phone call while getting shot at? Looked like a ratchet and clank cutscene

Darth Wookiee likes this.
  11. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    That’s basically my take. It felt like something I had seen in Donkey Kong 64 lol.

12. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

It was unexpected and funny in a way, but the end of TFA made me feel it was gonna be epic having him see that old lightsaber again. I feel like if it was his green one, it would have been more fitting, but having it be his father's lightsaber makes it more disrespectful.

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not a very good expectation. Go ride a ride at an amusement park to find out? How about coming right out and telling us? I'm going to Disney World with my family in March but I'm not going to find out about mysteries from TLJ that the movie didn't tell me. That's $7000 for a fun trip not to find out about Maz Kanata. Geezzz!!!!

14. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    Her cameo was so bad it's borderline hilarious. How does she know Poe? What was she even doing? It was ridiculous.

15. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Her inclusion just added to the cringe fest ... pure contrived drivel. And the video game nonsense going on around her? my God.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes - that what I thought as well. They do not know each other and act like the best buddies.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The only question I had with Maz's scene was what was it about that dude with the metal flower on his lapel that she was so convinced would help the rebels with the code breaking? Was it possible she she knew that otherwise Finn and Rose would be betrayed?

18. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Her part in TFA was cringe-worthy.

Han the smuggler and Rey on the downlow, come into her castle and she yells his name across a room filled with scum and villainy.

Greeaaaaaaaat.

I enjoyed her part in TLJ more where she casually engages in a conversation in the middle of a firefight and is so blase about her situation:

"Just a union disagreement...".

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Unnecessary cameo.

20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Was Maz meant to be the sequel Trilogies Yoda? i always assumed that was the case.

Perhaps that was the idea for TFA and then like everything else TLJ didn't know what to do with her.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  21. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I loved Maz in TFA - I thought she was a really well-designed character with a good sense of humour and an aura of mystique.

Her cameo in TLJ was odd, and it would’ve been better if she sat Ep8 out and saved for Ep9 if they were just going to shoehorn her in like that.

Given how she made a big thing about everyone having to fight the First Order, why was she prioritising some other dispute rather than fighting with the Rebels?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I want her to take part to one of the many rebellions against the FO in ep 9.
    I want her to be the leader of a little army of Broomboys. I want her to be crucial in the story. I want other creepy sexual jokes.

23. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I wasn't surprised to see her, especially in a role where the heroes need advice and information.

Maybe Maz is an Outer Rim ally. An army of pirates would be cool. Bring back the Crimson Corsair from TFA