main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Did you ever consider Droids canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dominick1216, Oct 7, 2014.

1. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I love the show, I have the entire series but have only watched what was shown on the actual released DVD so far. I use to consider it canon before 2014, now I consider it very important Legends. The Eyepatch imperial guy made canon... though
    he was killed by pirates and only got a few mentions lol

I still want his action figure...

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I know I saw the show when I was young, but I don't remember much of it. I never thought much of its canon status, but I know that Screed made it into canon iirc.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I wish we had this and Ewoks completely released on DVD. I never really considered it canon, though.

4. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    I find it hard to believe that C-3PO and R2-D2 did not wander around.

Ewok Poet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So is that a yes?

6. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Yes.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah okay!

Anyway what inside Droids and Ewoks contradicts Canon? Other then them not being owned by Bail at the time

8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    It seems like George Lucas originally intended to do more with the droids and the Journal of the Whills. George intended to have the droids be in all the films and then outlive everyone.

I considered the cartoons tv canon under the hierarchy model of Leland Chee. Before Leland Chee and Lucasfilm, I considered the cartoons canon as there were fewer stories in that period.

These days droids has become part of Legends.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Droids is still in my headcanon. I even did a Clone Wars marathon back in 2014, read the Dark Horse comics with it, and watched the premiere of Rebels right after.

So far, nothing has made me regret that decision yet.

Ewok Poet and Tython Awakening like this.
  10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Exactly. People interested in animated SW end up enjoying Droids cartoons with Clone Wars and Rebels.

Droids and Clone Wars fell under the tv canon in the old hierarchy model.

Rebels is in the new Disney Owned Canon.

Inevitably interest in Rebels will wane when we get removed from this time period and it's canonical status will be lowered. Fans will be left to decide which cartoons have higher status, Droids or Rebels....

I choose Droids and Clone Wars as higher status than Rebels. I didn't exactly fall for the character design of the Inquisitor nor Ezra and his band of heroes.

I don't forsee Ezra winning fan choice awards.

11. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    When I was younger and no reference of continuity I considered it a continuation of the story yes. More importantly to me? The Droids A-Wing and R2D2 with the pop up lightsaber were the first two versions of either of those toys for me and therefore awesome.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Droids is fine other then that they are not owned by Bail during that time

Tython Awakening likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I just go with the Rebels explanation when they were with Minister Tua. Or they got loaned out, separated, or were sent out on Bail's orders to see about potential allies.
    And returned with plenty of time before Rebels or the movies depending on your timeline.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    After a rewatch, I'd say that I considered it canon in 1989 when it was the first Star Wars anything I have seen and I consider it canon now. This one doesn't even need timeline adjustments, while Ewoks does.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  15. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    In the 80s, Lucasfilm put itself behind both the Droids and Ewoks cartoons with licensed toys, books, comics, international-only items....

All of that effort tells me Lucasfilm considered them official at the time they were released. "Based on Characters and Situations created by George Lucas" -- that was a tag line put on the some of the SW books in the 80's.

Lucasfilm has consistently done the same thing in the era of each new trilogy: The company wipes the slate clean for new stories and elements/characters of the old stories are there to draw upon. Eventually, some of the older stories wind up on official timelines.

whostheBossk likes this.