main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GnastyGnas

GnastyGnas Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    Wow, yeah, I totally agree. I've been watching some George Lucas interviews and he alludes to the same thing. He talks about how, "it's not about space ships and battles... etc, it's a soap opera". I think you're on point about the fact that Disney is in a way, cheapening Star Wars and reversing this dynamic and making the movies more like super hero movies in space (who the hell is Rey, Finn, Rose... etc?). I think part of the purpose of the ST is to dismantle the old dynamic to make the franchise capable of infinite iterations and money making. You can see this as they abruptly ruin (have you seen the picture of old, decrepit, failed Luke dying in the dark and the dirt?) and kill off the older characters. Soon we will just be left with randoms who have been pointlessly "handed the baton". The old characters had to be made into failures in order for the new characters to be framed as some forward thinking generation that can do better with the galaxy or whatever.

Agreed, they've definitely cheapened the force as well, Rey being their pivotal character to carry this change forth. Now the force isn't something to be understood and respected in a philosophical sense, but sort of a gift wrapped super power.

I think the part where you bring up familiar aliens just goes to show how badly they feel the need to make the franchise new and theirs and better for a new generation as if Star Wars needs so much correcting and face-lifting.

My exact thoughts as well. Ultimately the only person that will be able to make George's movies is George. My mental response to the new movies is never that "they're still making Star Wars", it's more that they're trying to and that's really what it looks like and how the movies come off. They're missing the mark, but fans don't care. As long as there's more stuff that says Star Wars on it, it's good enough.

Vizzy91 and LordDallos like this.
  2. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016

Yeah and that’s just not Star Wars to me. I am still capable of enjoying the ST for what it is, but I don’t consider it part of the saga. That’s the job of the Thrawn Trilogy, New Jedi Order and Legacy. Damn, those would have made fantastic films.

On that note, I’ve been eager to bring up a somewhat related topic. Not sure if it deserves its own thread, but how does everyone feel the characters of Rey and Jaina Solo compare? They are very similar in a lot of ways, but there are some key differences. While both immensely powerful, Jaina had to work hard to get there, and she is just overall more relatable I think.

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jaina is indeed far more relatable and had to work to get to where she was.

And yeah I really don't consider the ST part of the saga either.

GnastyGnas likes this.
  4. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    It’s too bad because I had hope that, because of their similarities, Disney would make Rey their version of Jaina. They are moth mechanically inclined, strong melee combatants, charming, charismatic and have a wonderful dynamic with Han. But Rey has ended up only being a shadow of Jaina. A cheap copy.

5. GnastyGnas

GnastyGnas Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    Do you think at this point they may swerve and make Rey a relative in the last film? It might help some things and maybe make some sense if she was Kylo's sister. But if Disney is trying to remake and rebrand SW, which they obviously are, they will probably leave her as a random so that they can achieve people battling forever in space status with their movies. It can continue indefinitely and they would no longer be bound to the Skywalker story.

6. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016

I hope she ends up being related to the Skywalker line in some way, but at this point, I doubt it. Like you said, the force according to Disney is not something which one needs immense training to master, nor is the Skywalker bloodline the line of extremely powerful force users. It’s just something almost anyone can use at any time if they “just let it in” yet for some reason only a few people do?

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I do think Disney if they are thinking about this issue in any depth at all is trying to go the "everyone can use the force if they just believe/let it in/broaden their minds" as opposed to the EU and Prequels elitist attidude(which I preferred) sort of approach to accessing the force.

If the force can be accessed by everybody why isn't everybody using it? It's just not sensible even in the OT the phrase the force is strong in you or "this one" is used. I mean when Vader says in ANH "the force is strong in this one" it can be logically induced the force is weak in the other X-Wing pilots.

LordDallos likes this.
  8. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    Right. And it would have been fine if they wanted to tell a story about a girl who came from nothing special who happens to be strong in the force. But don’t put her on par with an experienced Jedi Knight after having only been attuned to the force for 2 days.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed as much as the prequels spent time saying Anakin was the chosen one it was clear in TPM and AOTC that he wasn't in any trained and had issues or gaps in his knowledge to boot.

Potential does not equal skill. In fact one can have all the potential in the world and still have raw or limited skill.

LordDallos likes this.
  10. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    Thank God the EU has as much literature and media as it does. Makes me happy knowing I still have more to explore of what I consider to be the real Star Wars.

11. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Basically

12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not everyone can access it. Everyone has different potentials towards the force. But it's something that everyone experiences in some way, because it's a field that binds everyone and everything together. Chirrut is a great example of this. He's not force sensitive. But he spent so much time studying and opening himself up to the force that he can still feel it on some level, and allow it to flow through him.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Oh Gosh I hated Rogue One for that alone. He was blind wasn't he and untrained? He should have been gunned down in any one of the rebels operations.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    He was trained. Just not by Jedi. He was a member of the Guardians of the Whills, who were a religious order specifically built around defending the Temple of Kyber on Jedha. So they're very much trained, not just in feeling the force, but in combat as well.

16. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    More like I'm back from being stuck in a ban because the person who banned me decided to never check back on his banees.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Too bad. Welcome back anyway.

18. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    But someone who is strong in the force can use it expertly with no prior knowledge of who to embrace and contain it. I don’t like it. Goes against all prior Star Wars precedent.

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Precedent like "Untrained individuals can do incredible things with no training" I.E. Anakin and Luke?

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Both Luke and Anakin required training in Legends and the movies for that matter.

LordDallos likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Because of that long training sequence where Anakin learns how to be the only Human podracer at the age of 9?

Or that scene where Obi-Wan explains how Luke can use the force to manipulate Proton Torpedos?

22. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016

Passive force abilities in which the force controls your actions require talent and acceptance of the force. Active force abilities which involve inflicting your will over the force such as telekinesis and domination of another’s mind require training and dedication.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke spend months with Yoda and Anakin if you recall spent at least ten years as a padawan(it was a ten year period between TPM and AOTC)

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That doesn't account for his actions in TPM.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Potential he had potential and it showed hence Palpatine's interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.