main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was any part of Palpatine good?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Arthurius, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sheev was not evil until he could talk.

2. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I'd argue Ted Bundy was born evil and several other psychopaths... 1% of the population are psychopaths.

How do you not call psychopaths evil? Perhaps not all of them are evil, but definitely some are. Ted Bundy again said: "What's one less person on the face of the earth, anyway?" and "I don't feel guilty for anything. I feel sorry for people who feel guilt." these are quite literally definition quotes of being a psychopath and in my opinion evil

I'd definitely call Palpatine a psychopath and evil. A Psychopath manipulates and are unemotional and lack any conscience or guilt. They care about other people's emotions or rights at all. They are very easy at acting like they show emotions and are often very charming like Palpatine becoming a senator and slowly manipulating his was to taking over the Republic.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  3. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    I think he wanted to use the dark side for his own good at first, as moderately as possible, after maybe being converted to the dark side slowly, but then he was corrupted by it so much that he wasn’t able to realize what was moderate and what was too damaging.

4. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    I agree, he was truly evil, but surely Snoke was too ?

5. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    We don't know enough about Snoke to make that judgement yet, but it's pointing to that

TheCowboyBuilder likes this.
  6. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    Hopefully, we will learn someday - are Disney planning to release books/comics surrounding TLJ or Snokes backstory that are canon anyone know ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Flamewar

Flamewar Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2018
    I'd argue that everything from the Expanded Universe that we had exploring his past pointed to him always being a villain but that now it effectively doesn't matter thanks to the deletion of it from canon.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I remember an interview Ian McDiarmid did back in the day where he explicitly described that moment in the film as being one of uncharacteristic tenderness on the part of Sidious, and said that that's how he played it. I really wish I knew where the interview appeared. I'm thinking it might have been in Star Wars Insider, but I can't be sure on that.

9. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Nothing has been announced but the TLJ canon novelisation is coming out earlier this year so we might get a little insight from that

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We don’t know enough about him to know if he was always evil.

11. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Until the Aftermath books would have said yes. I genuinely thought he wanted to bring stability to the galaxy and remove corruption. But the Wendig books made clear that if he died he wanted the Empire to die with him. Shame. Palps is my favourite SW movie character.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    In Legends no and without a doubt another no. The man was evil from birth and arguably wasn't a man at all. He was more a manifestation of the dark side in biological form. A cosmic evil in mortal flesh.

13. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    He brought down a corrupt bloated Republic and replaced it with a government of conscience. The bureaucrats were no longer in charge. Criminals and slavers no longer openly roamed the streets in the Outer rim. Imperial stormtroopers patrolled them keeping the streets clean.

The Empire brought about a lot of good. It is a shame that its ascension had to be mixed up with removing the only good thing in the Old Republic - the Jedi Order who has sworn to serve it. Not to mention Palpatine's tolerance of maniacs like Tarkin.

The Jedi and the Sith are almost similar in every way. Including in their quest for greater power.

Good and evil are a point of view Anakin.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think Palpatine was pure evil. Any part of him that seemed good was just for show. Used as a tool to get what he wants. Like he did with Anakin. He acted as his friend from the very start. But he wasn't though.

15. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Maybe had a small passion for his home planet, but overall yeah plotted his own masters downfall, eyed up a potential Jedi for his own, and overall the roads that could've been taken if he didn't get elected.

16. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    There's not a lot of background about Palpatine's past or even his motivations other than that the "I've waited a long time for this" line suggests he really thought his getting revenge was justified.

I have long found it interesting that Palpatine and Padme were both politicians from the same planet and I think they work as foils, even mirrors.

17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Interesting ^

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I would allow the novel Darth Plagueis to answer questions about Sidious Palpatine's backstory. As far as the prequel films go, I would say, "No." That smile on his face as Vader is in pain at the end of ROTS says it all.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I recall Mcdiarmid saying, in comparison of Palpatine and the Devil, that at least Satan fell from grace.

V-2 likes this.
  20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I was just about to say that!

But yeah, if the guy’s actor describes him as basically Satan but without the quasi-tragic past of once being a good guy, you know he’s evil.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I think McDiarmid says on the ROTJ commentary that the essence of the character is that his only redeeming qualities are the intelligence and wit which were necessary to get him to where he is. Other than that he is utterly irredeemable.

22. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    That subtle moment from Ian was pure genius. Left you wondering how Palps truly felt about Anakin. I doubt he would have shown such a gesture to Maul or Dooku.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Nothing that Palpatine does or says is anything but self-serving.

I Imagine that being touched where he had severe burns (all over his body) wasn't really appreciated by Anakin. For his sake, I hope he was so deliriously in shock that the added pain made little difference.

24. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Are you serious? Palps gave Anakin a gentle, tender brush of his hand on the forehead as a way to inflict pain on him? I'm sure if he wanted to inflict pain at that moment there was much better ways for it. But if that's what you really think good for you.

25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm sure that Palpatine is not genuinely concerned about Anakin's discomfort. It's a fact. He pretends like he is.

It's also a fact that touching someone with extreme burns is very painful, except for those in shock etc. Anyone with any genuine empathy doesn't deliberately gently stroke seared flesh expecting it not to hurt.

Unless you think it was just absent mindedness on Palpatine's part.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018