main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I absolutely *loved* Rose. My favorite character in TLJ and probably one of my favorite SW characters, period. "I want to put my fist through this lousy, beautiful town" is one of my all-time favorite lines of dialogue in a star wars film. It manages pulpy and poetic all at the same time and is delivered so well. KMT rocked what she was given and I am all-in with her character going forward.

2. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I really like the potential of rose. I didn't think she had much of an arc since she starts the movie and ends it in the exact same place. They could've fleshed out her character more.

3. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Hated her character : it was so painfully obvious she was created for the sole purpose of tying up loose ends.

Worse, instead of having her own Journey, she has the very same arc as Rey did in TFA, and Rian forced Finn to regress just so the two would establish the exact same relation and dynamic (but minus the fun, chemistry, good dialogue, back and forth, cool moments, good writing and relevance to the plot).

Had Rian tried to make her more original, and actually tried to make Finn-Rose its own thing (instead of that pale copy of Finn-Rey), maybe i would have given her a chance.

Oh, and her final choice and final words were just cringeworthy.

Kurenai24 likes this.
  4. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    I don't remember such sharp divide ever on this forum.

Darkspellmaster and CosmicDust like this.
  5. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Awful character.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You should have been here during Episode One. This is….well, this is close.

Back to the topic:

This is frustrating for me because I thought Kelly did a great job. My problem was what her character did. Canto Bight with her and Finn was just terrible. Hopefully, they do her character more justice in IX.

7. Darth Bary

Darth Bary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2016
    I felt the character was....Ok. I really liked KMT in the role, yet the canto bight stuff was the weakest part of the movie to me, but Rose has real potential if they give her something better to do in IX.

ShaneP likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Rose felt like a bit of an empty character to me in some ways because she's inserted in to teach Finn (and the audience) important lessons and beyond being the Resistance Inspiration character to show its heart, it's like she's not quite a real person?

The scenes with Rose and Finn were kind of like the childish side of Anakin and Padme. I also just thought it was weird how she is a Finn fangirl and her preoccupation with Resistance heroes. I guess the Resistance is almost a wanna-be Rebellion as the FO is a wanna-be Empire?

I agree the chemistry for the kiss wasn't there, but in Rose, Finn found someone sweet and devoted to the cause and he cares about her.

One thing I did kind of love was that she saved him. I couldn't stand Finn's suicidal maneuver because he is not some expendable person as the FO must have taught him. He was too eager to die and Rose saving him I suspect tells him deep down that not only is life precious but his life is important.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Howard Hand and Darkspellmaster like this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Totally agree with cut-of space!

10. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I do think her role in IX will be smaller

11. Celsus

Celsus Jedi Padawan

Dec 31, 2017
    jj will write her out. she was totally johnsons creation.

12. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I think she has a lot of charm (the actress/character) but that she wasn't well served by the script. I didn't feel much romantic chemistry between her and Finn, but maybe that's the idea - we have no idea how much he reciprocates her feelings at this point.

I guess my biggest complaint was her stopping Finn's run on the cannon. I have no idea if him flying down the barrel would have had any effect (of course, that would have been all up to the script writers!) but at that point, what other choice did they realistically have? This wasn't a suicide mission for the sake of personal glory, this wasn't throwing your life away without purpose - if that cannon wasn't taken out, the entire Resistance was toast, as far as Rose or anyone else knew. This wasn't a counterpoint to Poe's "recklessness" (quotes definitely used to imply disagreement with that characterization, but that's what JEDI seems to be implying). To have that moment pitched as being profound, or as an important lesson, really didn't work for me... especially when Holdo's sacrifice was held up as heroic, within moments of this scene.

Again, I like the actress/character, just feel they need to find a place for her moving forward, as for me her role in JEDI didn't really gel.

Rhyoth likes this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I thought KMT did a great job with the material, but the material ranged from weak to terrible. An absolutley superfluous character that added nothing to the narrative that an already established character couldnt have done. Her role could have easily been replaced with Poe, and the film would have been a lot better for it. Now, on the third film, our main characters have barely interacted with each other as a group. It's super weird.

Kurenai24, Darkspellmaster and Rhyoth like this.
  14. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    KMT was great and I even liked her character more than Finn, I wish that we could have been introduced to both ladies earlier so we could have developed an attachment to Paige and feel more empathy with Rose, but maybe in the Poe comic we will meet them before.

Hopefully she keeps around in E9 but maybe it will be a small cameo, I sense that E9 will be stuffed with main characters/plots and no space for side characters that no one cares.

15. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Honestly, I like Rose but I didn't find that she had a lot of chemistry with Finn. Their interactions felt somewhat forced. The kiss in particular seemed awkward to me. It almost seems as if RJ was trying to push this relationship so that Finn and Rey can move further down separate paths. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if they lock up the Finn/Rose relationship early in IX so that a Rey/Kylo/Poe triangle can be developed.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Kelly Tran shares a Bday with James Earl Jones.. Coincidence ??[face_thinking]

Darkspellmaster and BlurryUFOs like this.
  17. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    What do you think? It made me appreciate Rose even more than I already did.

18. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I loved rose. I wanna see more of her in episode IX. Maybe she goes on a mission with Rey -- awkward discussion of Finn ensues.

But....I didn't like her hair. Don't hate me for being superficial but I think the hair stylist did her wrong with the bob/swept thing on both sides of her face.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t care what anyone says I like rose.

20. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    For the kiss -- in the video I posted the youtuber mentions the concept of transference and how Rose is imprinting on Finn, in a sense, as she grieves for her sister. Everything ultimately is an expression of Rose's grief for her sister, and in that moment on Crait, the parallel to her sister's death and Finn racing for the cannon got far too intense for Rose. I wonder how their dynamic might evolve once Rose has more time to grieve and process her emotions over her sister and her sister's death.

Mostly Handless and Rhyoth like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt it will be dropped. The romance anyway.

22. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Question is, how are they going to wake her up? I mean she's knocked out and unless this takes place right after are we honing to see a repeat of Finn waking or are we going to get something different? Like she's already awake?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think there will be a time skip this time around so it should be fine.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't see why they should continue it, as this romance wasn't really engaging by any means. Worse, it is plagued with parallells with Finn-Rey, and none of them play in Rose favor :

ex 1
    : When Finn tries to get away :
    _ Rey tries to convince him to stay.
    _ Rose used a tazer to make him stay by force.
    ex 2 : Upon learning Finn's true nature :
    _ Rey barely bat an eye when Finn confessed his past to her.
    _ Rose gets an extremely violent reaction when realizing the truth.
    ex 3 : How the girl interacts with Finn :
    _ Rey alternate supportive comments and negative ones (and only use the later in critical times).
    _ Rose interactions are almost exclusively negatives, alternating between lectures, degrading comments, more lectures and more degrading comments.

This make Finn & Rose appear quite toxic. So if i had 1 advice to give Finn, it would be : "Run, before the psycho wakes up !" :p
    Well, it's pretty much guaranteed we get a time skip this time, so i doubt Rose will stay in a coma for 1 or 2 years...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Kurenai24 and CosmicDust like this.
  25. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Cant stand her character so annoying. Finn could have do e that whole canto bight thing on his own, would have worked much better. Hopefully she's totally dropped for 9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.