main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Book's not out yet, so who knows?

What I do know is this board has the toughest art critics you'll ever find!

Outsourced and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Quick question about that preview. Is the pilot seen in the preview meant to be an actual clone or non clone pilot using the same gear? From what I gather the actual clones were replaced very quickly after the Clone Wars but the armour and equipment remained in use for a bit so I'm not sure.

Edit: Got confused and thought this was the thread about the comic. I guess the question is still somewhat relevant to the book though' since I think the beginning of the book and the comic is meant to be the same. (I haven't actually got round to the novel yet but I will soon).

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Well in one of first two books in the new Darth Vader series some Clones mention how they shut down the cloning labs on Kamino and 'they'll raise the last batch up' as they begin adding recruits in.
    Which should mean they have at least a decade worth of Clones before they become obsolete with all the new recruits outnumbering them.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To.

Be.

Honest.

I’ve been looking at that parallel for some time and it’s why I accept Jagged suddenly becoming the head of the Empire of the Hand. Because he more or less had the same story as Thrawn thematically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord, Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  5. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Just finished reading. I enjoyed it!

6. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

Ugh I haven't gotten to Rebels yet. I can't wait to see those easter eggs!

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    no real spoiler for 8 here since my post is purely a question, but I'm tagging it just in case
    I'm curious now that Episode 8 is out, do people still actually think Snoke is the Unknown Regions threat?

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Sure, the movie doesn't really disprove anything.

9. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Just started reading. Enjoy the first chapter being a basic re-write of - I think - Mist Encounter? Good start.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I finished it yesterday and thought it was really cool. I liked seeing the development of Pryce as well and gives us so much insight into both of them. I do want to see more Eli though. I really liked their partnership, even friendship. I want to see his Outer Rim adventures possibly in comic form.

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    So i got the Brazil version, and finished, great book, see much of the classic Thrawn soul in this adventure.

12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I feel like Eli should just become the Nu-Canon version of Pellaeon?

13. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    They don't really have all that much in common when you look at it, other than the fact that they both had Thrawn as a mentor.

Outsourced likes this.
  14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Key distinction being Pellaeon was an officer in the days of the Republic, sure, but it could end up this way.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, age and authority is one part, but the other big thing is that Pellaeon is pretty much defined by his military service and his view of himself as a soldier and his particular view of the Empire. He was a much more militaristic character than Eli and his relationship with Thrawn was more defined by that role.

16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Having finished the book now it does seem that Eli would more closely related to Soontir Fel.

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Arindha Pryce remains the most compelling character in this story for me. Unlike Thrawn and Vanto, she actually has a real character arc. She starts as a normal woman on Lothal, a bit smarter and more ambitious than the average citizen but a good person nonetheless. She loves her parents and cares deeply about their business. That's an undeniably good quality. If that were her most defining trait she wouldn't have been a villain. But Arindha desires one thing even more. Power. Like Palpatine, Vader and so many other Star Wars villains, Arindha Pryce wants power.

Zahn takes a one-note Rebels character and gives her real feelings and emotions. Arindha Pryce had a friend, a real friend in Juahir. Yes, her friend used her a bit, but it wasn't all heartless. Those two had a real friendship and even after Juahir is arrested, Arindha still harbors some feelings for her. If Pryce survives Rebels, I'd like to think that she gets Juahir out of prison and helps her get back on her feet. Because that's what real friends do.

Daneira likes this.
  18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree on Pryce. I have to admit she's easy to bypass on Rebels so this book makes me want to go see those episodes again. I did like that she did continue to care for her parents regardless. She didn't become a complete monster.

Vialco likes this.
  19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Thrawn was a major disappointment. It was boring and the NU Thrawn is nowhere near as brilliant as Legends Thrawn.

20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    In the sense that Zahn isn't trying to make him an übermensch, yes.

21. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    This is interesting. I literally saw it the complete opposite way. I agree that Thrawn/Eli’s stories lacked a traditional climax, but I found enjoyment in reading each chapter as their own small story arcs. Each one started with a cryptic lesson (Thrawns journal entry), and then presented you with a unique puzzle that that slowly gave you more of the pieces. How many did you need before it clicks. I read it kind of in the mindset that I was an additional Ensign alongside Eli. Always trying to see how the strings that Zane was spinning ultimately wove together. Sometimes I would miss something, and like Eli wouldn’t see the connections until thrawn revealed his conclusion. Sometimes I got it before the real. I took the style of the book as it was meant to make you think. To try and Detective your way through each case presented.

I agree that Arindha was a more traditional story arc, and her character had some good moments early. But I’m really surprised to see her called a good person. Do you mean in the early chapters? Bc once she started playing her brand of politics I felt disgust towards her, and when I finished the final page I thought ‘she might be one of the worst people I’ve read about in Star Wars yet’. Obviously the main villains are worse. But rebels and some of the other novels have shown us that many of the characters who agree with the empires vision aren’t inherently evil. This girl was just bad. No moral compass, her willingness to kill (not because it was strategic or necessary) but instead because she lacked the means to calculate an adequate answer to her sloppy mistakes... that was simply evil. I’m probably over exaggerating a biit, but everything about her rubbed me the wrong way. When she said she would happily. Sell out her friends for a step up in career I knew everything I needed to know about her. Thrawn was really saying ‘you are asking for my help. Are you ok with turning on the people who give you a hand? If you say yes I know you will be ok with doing it to me’.

LOng post haha, my bad. Not hating on your opinion by any means. I was just surprised because I came away with such a different impression of her.

22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I think he's still pretty brilliant. I can't see any discord between this Thrawn and Legends Thrawn.

23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I feel a bit silly saying this, but was anyone else puzzled by who Night Swan was, or did everyone immediately assume it was the guy they first encountered on the fuel ship? I feel like Zahn tried to make that a mystery (Eli's reaction when he met him) and yet I had always just assumed that was the case?

24. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I went back and forth on it the whole book. On one hand he bested Thrawn initially. Demonstrating he did have the abilities necessary to lead Thrawn on a 4 year game of Cat and mouse. But every chapter when they solved a riddle Zahn showed you something you’d missed. He’d often start chapters by having evidence that could point to an individual. But because you followed that line you missed something that led to the path that of the actual target. I thought he did a good job of mixing it up and being subtle about it. Like when they went to the dojo, I thought it would be to obvious to suspect her friends that were acting strangely in daily interactions (having guessed wrong about the obvious suspect in earlier chapters I thought the lesson was learned). It was to blatantly advertised, so I thought maybe the quiet and unknown dojo leader might be the right suspect. Playing the roll of man behind the curtain that we had not yet seen.

I think the intrigue in this book lies in the cases within each individual chapter. It is lacking for a traditional story arc, but I stayed interested bc I wanted to see if I could put the pieces of the next chapters investigation together before Thrawn ultimately revealed the inter workings of the cases parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brodiew likes this.