main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    Idk, maybe Qui-Jon tells him in order to achieve the ghost ability thingy he has to travel to someplace else and face trials there, or maybe he could visit Padmes grave on Naboo, i just don't want the majority of the film to be on that god damn sand planet

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Flashbacks to previous adventures could be used if they really thought one location was a big problem. I’m not really worried. They’d make it work.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I do wish people would use the guy's proper name i.e. "Walrus Man", and not these new-fangled monikers. ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Maybe he could leave Tattooine to carry out a mission for Bail, or the fledgling alliance. (Perhaps extracting an ally from the Empire's grasp?) I like Tattooine, but it's already in five movies. Lets see some new areas of the galaxy that aren't just one endless desert.:)

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I seriously want to see an Obi-Wan movie that is entirely Tatooine centric. Yes, we've had a lot of Tatooine

Only other option I would agree with is Obi-Wan goes on a weekend Mos Espa bender and wakes up on a transport out of system - "^$%#$!!" - and has to get back there.

jimtalkbox and B3 like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The alliance is not started until 2 years before Yavin.

7. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    True. But it's founders (Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, ect.) were around long before then.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya that true.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Easy solution: set it between TPM and AOTC.

10. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    If they provide a decent enough excuse as to why Anakin is not there (unless they get Hayden back...which yes please) then I’d be fine with this. Actually I kinda like this, both actors could easily look AOTC/ROTS era as they’ve pretty much aged like fine wine.

It would definitely allow for exploration throughout the galaxy as well as maybe add some more depth to Anakin and his inner turmoil.

In saying that I think they’ll go the solitary figure on the dune seas for the movie. Show Kenobi’s growth and learning after the Jedi purge etc. I feel it’s a little more restrictive for story telling but who knows.

11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    If we’re going to get a pre ROTS film, surely it should be during the Clone Wars. So many possibilities there and a Clone Wars story would look epic on the big screen. Hell they could do a Rogue One and finish with the battle of Coruscant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They've spent a decade plus on The Clone Wars, it's actually kind of impressive how much they mined out of what are essentially two or three quick lines of backstory dialogue in ANH. But it's been well-played out by this point. Not saying that you can never go back there again, but move on to new stuff for now.

13. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    While I agree I’m not entirely sure how much...meat(?) you can get out of Kenobi post ROTS stuck on Tattooine story. The Legends Kenobi novel was a fantastic story for Star Wars fans who love filling in the gaps so to speak and I feel that JJ Miller did Kenobi justice.

In saying that I’m not sure that type of story will work for the general audience when going to see a Star Wars film. Kenobi on Tattooine is restrictive to a degree. General audiences want space battles, different exotic locations and new new new.

Someone above posted some fantastic concept art and while great none of those felt like Tattooine to me - to futuristic/developed. Anchorhead for me is a similar township the size of mos Eisley. At this stage I feel we’ve seen everything the planet has to offer. We’ve seen Tattooine enough.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Not really, it's been proven time after time after time after time after time that the general audience will accept new things if you do them right. Marvel has done this for years now.

The idea that "the audience won't go for it" is something that people should have learned to not assume at this point.

15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    The closest thing I think Kenobi could do to a Marvel film is Homecoming where it’s small stakes - literally Spider-Man fighting a local arms dealer. When people go see a marvel movie they expect certain things - snappy dialogue, characters with interesting motivation, cool gadgets/powers etc. I love the Marvel films but they are fairly formulaic with the only real “risk” being Rocket and a Groot who were not even the anchors of their story. Point is if you go to a Marvel film you go in with expectations of those things and generally you get exactly that.

To me GA go into Star Wars for compelling characters which I’m sure they’d get in spades but also new locales, aliens, space battles and lightsaber fights. If you have Kenobi stuck on Tattooine it limits those expectations unless you break what we know about Kenobi - his sworn mandate to protect Luke.

Given what we know about Kenobi’s presence during the PT/OT, unless the send Kenobi off planet, I Agree to disagree. I just don’t think general audiences will not be interested in a Kenobi flick where he stays on Tattooine the whole time watching over Luke fighting local thugs. Don’t get me wrong if it’s Kenobi fighting local gangsters while trying to hide his identity and purpose I’d pay money and eat that film up however so if that’s the route they go I’ll be happy.

TLDR - I feel Kenobi on Tattooine is restrictive and not something that the audience would eat up even if done really really well. Love to be proven wrong.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  16. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree to much of what you're stating. They have to get in a space battle somehow and also some light saber duelling else the general audience wouldn't be very happy, and I realize that the former would be hard to do in the "Kenobi on Tatooine" era. Someone has to be really creative on that one. However, I do not agree that the plot should be from the clone wars. As much as I'd like to see a story there that's not "Kenobi". I clone wars story would be fitting too well with the main story and I don't think that is the intention with the spin-offs. Rogue One was in the timeline, but with mostly different characters. A "Kenobi" would have to be focusing on the character, not split between all the different characters in the clone wars. We would have to see at least Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex to get that right.

To solve the space battle part they could pull some basic idea from Jude Watson's "The Desperate Mission" which sends Kenobi away from Tatoiine one last time. If so they'd to tweak up the space part and down the actual hunt for Ferus Olin a bit.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Where did you get this from?

18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Only from a search on Google “Futuristic Canyon Cityscapes”

I just wanted to find some images that might generally convey what I imagined for a busy canyon-built city or spaceport on Tattooine.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Some of them really look like they come straight out of Star Wars.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I wonder if John Williams will write a new Obi-Wan for this (not to be confused with the AOTC Obi-Wan motif or the Force theme (which was originally concieved as "Ben's theme" in SW77 I believe)).

21. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Ewan has to do it!

GunganSlayer likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ewan wants to do it. Hopefully, Lucasfilm will let him.

GunganSlayer and Akane like this.
  23. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    Oh God, please, let the rumors be true[face_praying]:obiwan:! I'm new to the Star Wars world, but Obi-Wan Kenobi is already one of my favorite characters, plus Ewan is one of my favorite actors, his talent was not exploited enough in the prequels.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What did you see him in before you liked Star Wars? He is very good in transpotting

25. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I've seen many, Big Fish and Trainspotting are on my list of favorite movies of all time, I also loved his performance in Moulin Rouge!, then there are others like The Island, angels and demons and even Star Wars whose main objective is to raise money , and unfortunately an actor doesn't have good material to shine in this type of productions, but he always manages to stand out. He is talented, charismatic and has a good voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.