main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Given his decline in performance, and the litany of PED issues with him, I think they'd rather just let him go out quietly. But he is a very important figure in the development of the sport, and I'm sure he'll work with the other recently retired Brazillian fighters to keep the talent factory running smoothly there.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If this is it for him, then it needs to happen in Brazil, not in St. Louis. Just my opinion anyway.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Usada completely changed UFC. It is like baseball. You had the steriod era and then you had what came after it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That's frustrating. Paige looked off, and concerned about that injury at the end.

Edit - broken arm, first round. Damn.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry heels, I know Paige is your girl. Hopefully she recovers quickly.

At least there was this great moment tonight:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That was really something to see. I remember it sounding like he was never going to wake up in the days after that accident.

Legend.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    UFC just now uploaded the tribute (or FOX's UFC Channel did):

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

This is GSP's trainer. After the 19 minute mark he explains that his 6 week fight camp for Bisbing turned into a 4 week camp because the middle two weeks were lost because GSP has colitis He trained 2 weeks, had to take 2 weeks off, then trained for the last 2 and wins after a 4 year layoff.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From WrestlingObserver:

Uriah Hall said he suffered a mini seizure and a slight heart attack cutting weight on Saturday. He said that he ignored some issues prior to his weight cut that led to the hospitalization. He said there was an injury that he ignored that caught up to him and his body wasn't responsive. He said the doctor told him even if he had weighed in, he probably would have died the next day. Hall said he would be open to meeting Vitor Belfort later.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dana kicked him while he was down, too. The UFC will be so much better off when he is out of the picture.

Hope Uriah heals up, and makes a smart decision about whether or not to proceed with his fighting career.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Feel bad for both Paige and Uriah. Neither one seems to catch a break (*no pun intended*) it seems. I am so excited for tomorrow’s card especially the main event even though I do not know who I am going to root for. I like both Stipe and Francis. I do know this much. There shouldn’t be any reason to have judges for that one. That ain’t going 25 minutes.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I want to see Ngannou get the belt. Stipe has been a good champion, but I'm ready to see the HW division get stronger and more exciting.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought the same for Holm/Cyborg and that did go to a decision. So you never know in this sport.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    good win for stipe - probably the most important of his career. the momentum ngannou had coming into this fight was immeasurable

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And he now holds the new Heavyweight defense record.

Also glad for DC that he retained the LHC. Also glad the crowd cheered for him winning.

@Luke02 BTW, what did I said a few days ago about never knowing about needing a judges decision?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Luke02 and heels1785 like this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So the cause of Whittaker pulling out of UFC 221, according to Dana White is a 'Mistreated and serious Staph infection.'

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Juliet316

Yeah I was completely shocked by that, great call. That said? I don’t know what the heck Stipe was doing in those last few rounds. He had chance after chance after chance to put his hooks into Francis and end it with a choke out. Why he didn’t do it? I have no clue. Maybe that third round blow hurt Stipe more then he admitted. Either way though I am clueless on how why he just didn’t go for a submission in those late rounds. Perhaps it was Francis size that had worried or the fact that he did all that damage to Stipe’s face with a whopping 33 total strikes landed.

And the UFC 221 card wasn’t all that great to begin with and having Whittaker pull out made it even less enjoyable. As I told my friends as we are leaving Saturday night, “See everyone in March” since I am going to skip that card. Nobody disagreed. UFC 222 is something I am really looking forward to. Frankie/Max rematch and the debut of Mackenzie Dern who could be the next big thing.....if she can develop a stand up game.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Stipe's defensive abilities as a big man are remarkable. Here's a visual of Ngannou's misses:

Stipe's opponents land 40% of their strikes per fight, on average. That's an elite number, and is as a big reason as any when it comes to figuring out how he has defended longer than anyone else in the division, and why he's likely to do so again a few more times. If you look at other notable past champions, nobody is close to that number, including likely the best HW in the world, Cain, and the most "athletic" heavyweight MMA has ever seen, Werdum.

Cigano - 54%
    Lesnar - 60%
    Hunt - 62.5%
    Mir - 71%
    Nelson - 59%
    Overeem - 52%
    Velasquez - 46%
    Werdum - 48%
    Ngannou - 78%

Stipe's taken some heavy shots, but he doesn't accumulate damage like the typical slow, prodding heavyweight does.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Must be all that firefighter training (which he still is one). Can't be slow and plodding when fighting a fire.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dan Cormier is fighting Stipe for the HW belt at UFC 226 in July.

Should be a very good fight.

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @heels1785

Agree and it makes total sense. Stipe has really clear out the heavyweight division (Cain IMHO would give him a good fight but the problem is that dude cannot stay healthy) and obviously DC especially since Jones cannot stay clean while Gus cannot stay healthy therefore a superfight between them makes total sense. My initial reaction was that DC would win but it should be close.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Stipe's a slight, but clear favorite in the first line from Vegas. His quickness as a HW neutralizes what would generally be a typical LHW's best shot.

But as we know, Dan's not a typical LHW. He's got the power to stand with Stipe and the build to be effective on the ground against a HW.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Daniel was originally a heavyweight. So he's not a natural LHW just up and making this jump to HW like say an OSP would be, for example.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002