main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just read that we might see some Metroid Prime 4 during a Nintendo Direct in January. Anyone else see or hear the same?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd be shocked if it was more than a second teaser, if that's the case. One assumes the Direct will focus on more imminent subject matters but they'll include MP4 reminder teasers everytime they air one (especially since they're likely trying to grab the attention of any new post-xmas Switch owners this go around).

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Here's the newest Nintendo Direct Mini for January 2018:

Lots of cool things packed into 14 minutes.
    • The World Ends With You: Final Remix coming to the Switch this year.
    • New fighters in Pokken Tournament DX via paid DLC.
    • Kirby Star Allies launching on the Switch on March 16th.
    • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition launching on the Switch this Spring.
    • Mario Tennis Aces launches on the Switch this Spring, featuring the series' first story since the GBA, complete with missions and boss battles.
    • Ys VIII coming to the Switch this Summer.
    • Luigi's Balloon World (hide-and-seek mode) and new costumes and snapshot filters coming to Super Mario Odyssey via a free update next month.
    • SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy coming this Summer to the Switch.
    • Donkey Kong will be a playable character in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle via paid DLC this Spring.
    • Payday 2 available on the Switch February 27th.
    • Indie games Fe and Celeste coming to the Switch on February 16th and January 25th respectively.
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is being ported to the Switch featuring Funky Kong (easy mode) as a playable character on May 4th.
    • Dark Souls: Remastered coming to the Switch. Git gud on the go on May 25th.
    The World Ends With You is one of the main DS games I've always wanted to play but never got around to, so I'm stoked to finally get a chance to play it on the Switch. Kirby Star Allies looks like it'll be a fun co-op romp. Mario Tennis Aces looks great. Not sure about Fe but I'll definitely be picking up Celeste, that looks like a blast. Never got far in DKC: TF because I hated the Wii U, so it'll be nice playing that on a proper system. Surprised we didn't get a release date/window for the new Yoshi game. Lots of cool stuff coming this year, but Nintendo's still staying silent on their online service and virtual console/back catalog plans. Hopefully we'll get more news on those soon.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking forward to playing Dark Souls, as it has long seemed liked the type of game aimed at the old school difficulty. Funky seems like a fun character to play TF with, but I'm not buying the game for just him (I got the original for free for the U so I'm totally ok with that version).

HYWA I'll be skipping most likely since I also have that on U already. Like you, TWEWY is a DS game I always meant to get around to trying but never got the chance so I very likely will here.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Donkey Kong and Mario Tennis sound good. Definitely interested in those.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this is the most Nintendo thing Nintendo has ever done.

I mean, you get to become a generic cardboard Optimus Prime and smash stuff, so, they must be onto something here...

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  7. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    It looks like a lot of fun.

Nice to see what became of Project Giant Robot

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    What the heck? Even for Nintendo, this is... surprising. And I remember the Wii Fit board. Still, I'm curious to see how it does. And I half-expect that people will come up with even more crazy DIY ideas given some time.

And I forgot about Project Giant Robot, nice to see the concept again.

For E3 I kind of hope Reggie comes out wearing one of these things.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    His body is ready.... for cardboard.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    They are holding Nintendo Labo camps in Japan for families to test it out.

So we might be getting similar events in our regions closer to release.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot on this one. Not the idea, but the price. Sixty dollars for the basic kit, seventy for the robot. That much for just cardboard is ridiculous and I can see a lot of parents agreeing.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The price is for the game cart and any additional components in the kit- the cardboard components themselves are apparently going to have their patterns available online for free.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    This article was informative about what is in the kits and such. More to it than cardboard.

I know that if this came out when I was little, I would have loved it. It has piqued my curiosity and am keen to test it out at the very least.

Life likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That makes better sense.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    So a while back my Switch randomly stopped reading my microSD card, and I would get an error message saying as much any time I booted up the system. Finally decided to do some troubleshooting to no avail, and as a last resort, sent it in to Nintendo for repair. Got an email from them informing me that any save data on the system was unable to be preserved. 105+ hours on Zelda? Gone. 50+ hours on Mario? Poof. Gold cups in Mario Kart? Buh-bye. [face_sigh]As much as I love Nintendo, this kind of thing is inexcusable in 2018.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that sucks- the only time that ever happened to me was with my Wii. Lost my Brawl and LOZ TP save info most notably.

So was the problem that the data on the card was corrupted by the system "ejecting" it improperly? I lost a flashdrive that way (during a Game Jam at that) from a loose USB port on a computer once.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    What?! Argh, that's horrible. Yeah, I really wish Nintendo would stop lagging behind everyone else on the online/backup front. Like with my phone data or Playstation saves I can back them up online (or on my computer) but Nintendo still doesn't have that feature.

I hope Nintendo modernizes someday, especially if eventually everything is consolidated on the Switch (though the 3DS has a few years left at least).

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's actually a common thing that seems to be happening. The only thing to do is to have a back up of a back up. Meaning, more than one SD card until something changes.

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was discussing that cardboard crap on another site. Those poor trees. No way I would contribute to this gimmick lol. I can see small children tearing that up fairly quickly.

It is a neat concept though I ll admit.

Hopefully it’s recycled material!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The microSD card wasn't the problem (although I may have removed it while the system was in sleep mode, I can't remember). I hooked it up to my desktop which read it without issue, and I was able to at least transfer all the screenshots I had on it to my hard drive. And Nintendo sent it back to me with the repaired Switch, though I've yet to test it out.

One thing that makes it a little less of a blow is that my profile still shows how much time I spent in all my games. So even though all my BOTW progress is gone, it still shows that I've spent 105+ hours in it. Small consolation, but I'm pretty happy that carried over.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I bought Rabbids, after devoting my time to other Switch games. I like it. It’s simple but addictive. I also have LA Noire to start at some point. The ‘no games on Switch’ narrative is nonsense.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know who has been saying that. The only narrative I hear is that there are too many releases on Switch to keep up with.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think the "no games" probably has to do with games that if you exclude first party and independent games, most of the third party games are older games.

24. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    And that's mainly down to third parties not being willing to take a chance on the Switch, worried that it would end up like the Wii U. This time last year everyone was worried that Nintendo had permanently lost its market share. Now that the Switch has a large, viable install base that continues to keep growing, it's going to get more third party support.

The question that needs to be asked is how much of that support is going to be rushed out shovelware and how much of it is going to be solidly developed.

25. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I suppose one part of the calculus to answer that question is how easy the Switch is to develop for and, additionally, whether the difference in computing power is large enough to demand an above average inconvenience to developers in optimising multi-platform titles for it. But the ultimate indicator will be how well third party games sell on the Switch. Nintendo's audience has a tendency to be less interested in third party games, which makes third parties weary of devoting too much resources in catering to it. Conversely, the PS3 hardware was, from what I understand, a nightmare for developers to program for, but its user base was too lucrative to ignore, so developers were willing to cross that hurdle (from 2009 onward, largely). Recently, Playtonic made a superb effort in converting Yooka-Laylee to Switch, and their willingness to go the extra mile again in the future will likely depend on how well this effort pays off for them.