main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics 200 + Marvel Comics - What is your opinion of the state of the line?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tatooinesandworm, Jan 18, 2018.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    You’re right in that there’s still a lot of story room. I think people just feel like they don’t have to to tell them all right now one after another. Or necessarily even in comic form. We only got the one adult novel concerning Luke after all. And that was just by default because of the publication date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, there's three years between ANH and ESB. But I sure hope this time around someone is keeping a calendar of it all.

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    You know, there can be plenty of stories set between ANH and TESB that do not involve the Big Three in any way. I'm not sure why the majority of stories set in that time period have to involve Luke, Leia, Han or any other character from the OT (well, I guess marketing those stories with those characters makes it easier to acquire all the dollars). This isn't a criticism for Marvel or any other publisher specifically (in fact, Marvel has the Doctor Aphra series to balance things out), but this "mistake" is pretty common in canon and was common in Legends too.

"...you're still holding on, let go!"

4. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Look at the sales of comics with the Big Three and without the Big Three to see why Marvel is using them.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. Probably the reason for that is that in general stories set during that time period that don't involve the Big 3 will usually sell about half as well as series that do involve the big 3. For instance even though people are really liking the Aphra series for the most, however, if you look at the sales charts it is only getting about half the sales that the series that do involve the big 3 or Vader are getting. Was still a top 50 seller for December but it isn't difficult to see that people are much more likely to pick up a book that has OT characters in it than they are a book that doesn't have OT characters in it.

It will be interesting to see down the road once they start focusing on Rey, Finn, and Poe as the big 3 how marketable those characters end up being.

@rjrjr lol you beat me to it. I decided to write an entire paragraph to explain it and you beat me to the click button by a few seconds.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Given how much people are hating on the Rey character calling her a Mary Sue and whatnot, I wouldn't be surprised if fans hate any story involving her and the rest of the ST cast.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    To be honest I think the people calling her a Mary Sue are people who aren't buying the comics already.

Outsourced and tatooinesandworm like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Possibly, for some it'll be a certainty but....

Can I say I liked Anakin after AOTC? Hell, no! The punk was an idiot pain in the arse. Did I find him more interesting in ROTS? Yes. Why? Well, a pile of books and comics that did a fair bit of work with the character helped quite a bit. Anakin was still lumbered with a plot that required him to be an idiot, but those stories still helped. Not enough to overcome Lucas' direction, which didn't help Christiansen either, but still good.

I think Rey has been clumsily handled by both Abrams and Johnson, I think Rucka did a better portrait of her in Before the Awakening and more of that is needed. More stories of the character, told by other authors. (It so happens Rucka's story takes out the charges of how Rey can fix and fly the Falcon too.)

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    To be honest Rey being able to do all this stuff makes far more sense than Luke being able to do the things he did in the OT. Rey was having to survive on her own in a wasteland. Luke was being raised by his aunt and uncle.

People who choose to refer to Rey as a Mary Sue completely ignore the fact that it was even more far fetched that Luke was able to do what he did in ANH.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not really, Luke wasn't great at fighting, but he was Ok at run 'n' gunning and far better as a pilot - so much so Biggs recommended him to the rebels at Yavin.

Where Rey's skills seem odd is on the tech side, where would she get those from? They are not needed for salvage or survival so much, but Rucka's story covers it neatly. It also covers the very competitive aspect of salvaging, with rival scavengers being willing to kill Rey in order to steal whatever she found.

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Not sure I'd agree with the tech skills not being needed for salvage. It's her job to take apart ships and machines and find the most valuable parts, and knowing where to find these parts is likely a key part of her survival since it will give her more food.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was thinking of tech skill in terms of making things work - which salvage doesn't play into. I'd agree knowing what's valuable - and how to get it out in best condition - is a key skill.

13. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I believe that the story, or other material, that Unkar would pay more for salvage that actually worked, so condition was definitely a factor. Thus, Rey's skills as a mechanic.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, that does change it then - even so, I'd still recommend Rucka's story to any who haven't read it.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ll say one thing for the stream of comics - it makes it harder for me to catch up on the TPB side.

Darth_Duck and Dagobahsystem like this.
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've got 7 TPB so far; the first three volumes each from the main SW line and Darth Vader, plus the Vader Down crossover.

The books are really good and quite enjoyable, especially the Vader series. I like the PT references, the expansion on Vader's relationship with Sidious, and the introduction of Aphra.

Have yet to hear a negative review about the Lando series, so I will probably buy that one next.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got to agree with you here Trando. I like the Marvel run, there not bad, with there mini's, one shot, the tpb reproductions, and even IDW kiddy stuff, but with all those comics, they feel bland some how. I'm not knocking on Marvel, but the Dark Horse stuff really stands out. If they were given what Marvel has, Dark Horse would have even been 300 times and it was already good. I was re-reading some of the clone war stuff and they hit it out of the park. The Mace Windu stuff compared to the Marvel Windu stuff was very good. Marvel latest 5 issue Mace series just didn't inspire me a lot.

Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I havn't read a ton of the DarkHorse stuff but the ones I have read and the stories I have looked up on to see what they were about it seems that Marvel and Darkhorse have a different strategy to storytelling. Marvel seems to give us much more in depth characterizations where as Darkhorse tended to focus more on giving an overall view of an event instead of giving us focused detailed character studies. Dark Horse tended to focus more on mini series where it looks like with Marvel we will always have four or five ongoings going on at any one time.

I think years from now when we can start comparing the two runs because they both would have been putting out content for a good amount of time we will say that we feel like we know the Marvel characters a lot better than we did the Darkhorse characters. Some may prefer the mini series approach that Darkhorse did where they tended to jump from character to character during the course of an event. But I think very few of us will even try to debate that any characters from Darkhorse means as much to readers as Aphra or many other Marvel characters we get to know by then.

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Eh, I'd say Dark Horse did a mix of both sweeping epics and character pieces; Republic combined both, especially with Quinlan Vos. Dark Horse even managed to expand characters like Jabba and Boba Fett in their own mini-series.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Apparently I need £300 to catch up with the series TPBs. Nice.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes. But you said the word mini series there again. We already have about as much info about Vos in Canon as we did in Legends and Canon likely has a lot more left to tell about him. Some folks may not like the canon version but I have seen a lot of people say Dark Disciple was one of their favorite books. Wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Vos in Marvel comics before long either as his character was alluded to in a recent issue of Vader.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Well sure, but Dark Horse also had plenty of ongoings. Dark Times, Knights of the Old Republic, Clone Wars, Star Wars Adventures, Invasion, and Legacy were all ongoings at the same time.

And it's not really just that a lot of "info" was provided about Vos; we got a complete, on-going saga that spanned many years both in-universe and the real-world with Republic, which canon hasn't been able to replicate yet. It allowed us to get to know the character and see inside his head in a way I don't think Dark Disciple managed.

spicer likes this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Tell me about it. I fell behind and now it's daunting.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

24. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Dark Horse had many characters that people loved.

Dr. Steve Brule, Senpezeco and spicer like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I opted to complete my Legends YA collection and keep up with the novels of canon... I’ll get there eventually... or maybe I’ll but the Dark Horse Omnibuses...

Darth_Duck likes this.