main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Runaways [Hulu/D+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by cerealbox, Jul 20, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Runaways will have all episodes available in Hulu on November 21, 2017.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Splitting the above post off into a new thread, since we have a release date, schedule, a leaked teaser and, presumably, more official info coming our way this weekend.

cerealbox and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New teaser:
    (warning: language)

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hopefully, this will be the same quality as Iron First and Inhumans.

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This actually looks faithful to the comic, so your hopes may be misplaced. ;)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Full trailer- we have dinosaur.

Healer_Leona and cerealbox like this.
  7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excited to see Old Lace!!! Also, how did I not know (or remember) that James Marsters is in this?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've watched that first one a lot, may pass on this one (although I'm pretty sure I'll see images of Old Lace eventually). In Canada it's on Showcase, however, Showcase also showed Hulu's Handmaid's Tale and it eventually moved to CraveTV so I may just wait until it (hopefully) its CraveTV.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Saw the pilot at NYCC and it was excellent. Planning to purchase a Hulu subscription for November just to watch. Extremely faithful to the comic from what we saw.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Other reviews are coming in:

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not exactly a difficult feat ATM. :p

But cool that reviews are tending favorable. I've always been a fan of BKV, so nice to see one of his creations finally getting a good adaptation. :)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I may have to check this out now, once I've finished Punisher

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'll probably check it out late in the spring when most of the shows I watch on network TV have had their season finales.

I heard Runaways is the first Marvel live action property to use the word...

mutant.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched all the episodes, I liked it a lot. (just saw the season finale today at a random 3 PM airing on Showcase in Canada). Bit on the slow side at times but I can deal. Well, it is very close to the source in the characters of the kids and the setup. But most Marvel / superhero adaptations are like that. They've changed a few things, the big bad is basically completely new but the core group of kids remains very similar which is key (and in the final episode they put on their "superhero suits", such as it is, by raiding a thrift store and ending up in their comic outfits). Couple of the additions are nifty like Karolina being a part of a Church (Cult) of Gibborum. Old Lace's colour scheme isn't as cool as it is in the comic but minor quibble. Probably my favourite casting, aside from Alex, is who they got for Gert and she is pretty fantastic. In fact, all the kids have great chemistry, even when they're mad at each other, which makes the group likable. I was surprised how heavy the show was on the Pride but I didn't mind at all. Annie Wesherling as Karolina's mom / leader of the Church is straight up great (but I've loved her since 24) However, I think there's so many Pride members that they could have stood to bump a few off. And the show is called Runaways but they don't runaway until episode 10. (They try to justify the title by having the kids investigate missing Runaways but that... doesn't quite work. But they DO runaway eventually, just takes the entire season) The finale isn't what I could call conclusive at all, it's surprisingly cliffhanger-heavy, maybe they actually knew they were getting a season 2?

I really can't remember any MCU connections or references at all, which was a bit disappointing. Now, since they're out in L.A. I can buy that (most MCU seems to be in New York and/or outer space, especially ever since Tony seemed to relocate to NY after Iron Man 3) and while some people hate the shoehorned Avengers references in the Netflix shows I just need one to get by / accept it's all the same verse. And you'd figure someone would drop an Iron Man / Thor / Hulk reference with the powers flying about. The way I think it does fit is the remarkable technology and superpowers being demonstrated and nobody completely flips out. Since they're MCU denizens they can wrap their heads around it, so I buy it.

Mega spoilers for the comic and not happened yet / may not happen on the TV show

Alex didn't turn traitor! At all! Which I admit threw me for a loop cuz basically every single episode I thought "Oh boy! This is when Alex shows his true colours!" (which is a huge moment in the book which you'd think they'd keep). Yes, things have been changed a lot but the character riffs are the same. He is kind of crafty and shifty, though, so it's possible he could still be a turncoat but nothing has indicated they even have one in their group. However, like I said, the finale is rather cliffhanger-y so it could be something they could do in another season as opposed to rushing it into Season 1. But considering how sometimes lackadaisical the pace could be, maybe it could have been. But, whatever, he's a good actor and I keep waiting for him to turn. Which doesn't happen at all, aside from going off on his own for a bit in the Season finale. So could happen. Maybe. Probably.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Since they're keeping Alex not as the traitor. I like how he's allies with his father's enemy(ex-friend). Also I missed it. Did Nico get back the staff from her mom. Or does the mother still have it?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    nah, she doesn't have it, that's another thing that cliffhanger-d into Season 2.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've been planning on signing up for Hulu to watch Runaways, but I won't have to any more.

‘Marvel’s Runaways’ Set To Make Broadcast Debut On Freeform

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Runaways and Cloak and Dagger crossover could be a thing, horray! Maybe! But possible since they're showing Runaways on Freeform (they probably wanted more Cloak and Dagger style content and Runaways is really close). Although I haven't seen the last 2 eps of C&D, and I quite like the show, I still like Runaways more. Just cuz there's so much crazy stuff happening in any given episode of Runaways and the cast is actually pretty huge and you get different dynamics with a larger group.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, excellent- they seemed like a good pairing and now I no longer have to wait for signing up for Hulu. Maybe New Warriors will come home to Freeform afterall?

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I would hope that New Warriors would come to Freeform since it's already with my TV package, but it may end up on Disney streaming service.

And just another reminder that Runaways is premiering tonight on Freeform.

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm probably going to bank a few episodes before I dive into that series, since it wasn't designed to air on a weekly basis, AFAIK.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I caught the first episode last night, and since I've read the source material, I thought the characters were a bit too much on the moody side, but it was because of a death of a close friend. There's alot of setup and character development in this first episode and so nothing much of the plot or McGuffin to be found until the last scene. So with the episode ending on that note, I was looking forward to seeing previews of the next episode. There wasn't any previews to be had. Apparently, this was just a one and done deal for the series on Freeform as I didn't find episode two or any other subsequent episodes scheduled on my DVR. I hope that's not the case, but it appears to be so as Runaways on Hulu was heavily advertised during the episode on Freefrom. Very frustrating. So, if another episode doesn't air on Freeform, I'm going to open account on Hulu. They got me. Oh well, I was planning on creating an account on Hulu anyway because I want to check out Handmaid's Tale.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, during C&D there was an ad bug that specified something to the effect of a "special presentation" of Runaways "streaming exclusively on Hulu" or some such. Tricky bastards. Clever marketing stunt.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.