main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To those who think the ST killed Star Wars, how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoulderFaceplant, Jan 19, 2018.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I don't necessarily think it killed Star Wars, but since there's so much other content out there, it's easy to just ignore the ST. Not necessarily ignore its existence, just ignore its position in the canon. The ST really doesn't come across to me as anything more than a glorified fan fiction with a soundtrack by John Williams so it's not too difficult.

For me, the story ends at Return of the Jedi. It'd be cool to know what happens afterwards (in the form of notes from Lucas or something) but I don't really need to see it in the form of a movie, since I doubt it would have much to do with Anakin, the main character of the saga.

2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree 100% with the two bolded statements.

crapiola likes this.
  3. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    You forgot TPM, AOTC, ROTS, TFA, TLJ (PT +ST only). [face_hypnotized]:p Although I can't say I've ever heard of anyone being in that category...

Darkslayer and Avnar like this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hahaha - That just doesn't compute with me [face_laugh] Imagine loving Star Wars and hating the OT! ...?? :tie::xwing::ghost::deathstar: [face_dunno]

@DBPirate - No matter how many times you squeeze "The main character of the saga" into a post - it's still Luke! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  5. Darth Arthurius

Darth Arthurius Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2016
    I just view it as fanfiction and mentally remove it from my mind.

crapiola and Ananta Chetan like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is the reasonable approach. I am sure I will eventually dislike a Star Wars movie and when that happens I hope that is the way I will go.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    By removing most of Disney's cannon from my head-cannon and returning to the old 6-film saga and Legends as my head-cannon. Disney has shown repeatedly that they don't care about the established franchise and keeping consistent with the previously established material. Well, if that's the case, then I don't care about which route they take the franchise anymore. I'm not even excited for any of the upcoming movies or shows, and not a lot of the books, since the majority have been pretty lackluster. Almost everything Disney releases now just feels like a product to make money, not a story made with heart and soul and care and lots of thought put into it. It's obvious that Disney just doesn't care about pleasing fans like me, and for that large part there is just too little logic and too many flaws and consistency errors in their stories for me to be able to enjoy them as much as I would like to.

However, I will look forward to the writers that actually seem to put care and thought and heart into their writing, so I will be looking forward to works written by Kieron Gillen, Claudia Gray, and Timonthy Zahn, all of whom have written material that is pretty much consistently good. Other than that, though, I'm not invested in the future of the franchise anymore.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Two points:

(1) Just because the story lines that Disney is using doesnt match up with how many fans percieve the story should go does not mean that that they dont dont care about the "established franchise" They have invested $4 Billion into acquiring LFL and more importantly the income stream from the Star Wars Universe, so it behoves them to care about the franchise.

(2) Disney owns Star Wars and can do what it wnats with regard to the story going forward. If you (or anyone else for that matter) does not like it you are free to not spend your money on it and become Star Trek or other Sci-fi franchise fans .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    But that's the thing, in SW there is so many content beyond the movies that it's a lot easier to simply ignore the ones you didn't like and enjoy the rest rather than simply focusing on what you didn't like in a particular movie. I'll still talk about what I liked/disliked about the movie but then I'll move on at some point.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean you can still be a Star Wars fan.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well for me it's a kind of the opposite. I already thought Lucas' 6 movies were awesome subjectively compared to other movies but now as much as it is possible to the ST is making it objective fact because once outside of Lucas' framework (like R1 is in) and left to their own devices the pale imitation that TFA and TLJ are (though still entertaining movies) shows that yes in fact Lucas knew what he was doing.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I love Lucas's films, but other people can do succesfully in Star Wars.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    I cope by going back to the EU and focus on the Ep. I to VI saga as intended by the Maker. Star Wars will always be the Skywalker Saga.

crapiola and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Nope... Once he was left totally in charge he went off the rails! Great story ideas - Horrible executions :oops:

only one kenobi likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Except that he was always totally in charge. The only movie he was nominally not totally in charge of was ANH and that was more to do with budget cuts. The formal being totally in charge was with TESB.

I doubt you mean that it went off the rails there.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I just focus on I-VI. When I consider the new films, it's mostly to have a good laugh at their unintentionally humorous aspects. So basically SW is dead to me as story that is still being successfully continued, but oh well. Can't win them all. New Blade Runner was excellent. Latest Alien was very good. That's good enough for me as far as old favorites still carrying the torch.

jimkenobi and crapiola like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well said Chancellor Yoda.
    Except the PT wasn't a debacle. I don't consider the ST one either. Monetarily and critically, neither was objectively a "debacle."
    Lol, my best friend likes the PT and ST but hates the OT. They do exist :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    crapiola and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  18. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This is very incorrect. He was totally in charge of ANH. Not so much TESB & ROTJ.

As for the PT, he was, and ruined completely some great story lines by poor execution and horrible directing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I just cannot get my head around people that prefer the PT to the ST. I cannot watch the PT because of the atrocious acting by almost ALL the cast. Very poor script/lines, wooden and passionless performances and zero chemistry between ANY of the cast.

If SW survived the PT, which it did because the OT was there......it can survive anything. RO and the ST are all excellent movies, with great story ideas and acting that puts the entire PT to shame.

Pick your favorites and don't watch those you don't care for. I do that, and my love for the franchise is still as strong as it was between 1977 - 1983.

only one kenobi likes this.
  19. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Simple. Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi. This is all glorified fan fiction. Plus I prefer the prequels, so the sequel trilogy and its failings don't really affect me.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No, the bolded is what is incorrect.

As for the underlined, that's just your opinion. It is not objective truth, so please don't state it as such.

Blue font: I can't get my head around people who have such strong hate for the PT. I don't care for the ST but there are parts of it that make it watchable. Take a step back and try and focus on the positives, it worked for me with TFA.

And Star Wars didn't "survive" the PT because the OT was there. It thrived off the PT by creating a whole new generation of fans.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Did you not like Rogue One? Seemed very much in line with 1-6

crapiola likes this.
  22. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015

23. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Lucas had more control over ESB & ROTJ. That is not even debatable.

crapiola and Darkslayer like this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Totally yes. He was the story writer, the script writer, the imagineer et al. Everything's starting point was from him. Now of course like all the movies he hired great people to collaborate with him but it's his people.

Sorry but to me all six of his movies are among the great movies of all-time.

Again because I find them to be great movies. The ST are entertaining and enjoyable movies I like but comparing them to great movies they don't measure up. Strong scripts, excellent performances all around and great chemistry.

I just watched Anakin's turn sequence from ROTS again from informing Mace to his march on the Jedi Temple. Just awesomeness in every frame. The script, the acting, the costumes, design, the music, characters the whole storyline. Something that is total film like that is commonplace in the prequels. It's not that the ST doesn't have moments like that but they don't sustain from sequence to sequence.

I don't think the ST and R1 are put to shame. They just aren't great and the ST is not a particularly good sequel to I-VI. It's A sequel trilogy but not so much to the movies that Lucas made.

This is inevitable when you in essence do a reboot rather than a continuation. The ST in many ways is a better sequel to the PT as a trilogy than the OT as a trilogy. At the same time there is so much of the PT in the ST that it's still about doing a reset/replay of character types and situations.

Sure. One of the reasons I like TLJ and R1 is because they are so interlocked with so many aspects of the prequels. TFA was as well but not like the latter two are.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Trust me - They are not the SW films people are laughing at!

The OT were the coolest movies in the world...then along came LOTR's which blew the PT out of the water...then came The Hobbit films...which the ST & RO blew out of the water - It's good to get the power back again! :cool: The ST has saved SW which had lost some serious ground and was a laughing stock for a while :oops: