main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Jedi Enclave ~~Welcome New Followers of the Light!~~

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by ConservativeJedi321, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    *jumps down from his hiding place* Hello there.

2. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

Sort of like this? :p

Jedi Master Kenobiwan likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Ananta Chetan
    Yes, yes, yes.

This fan film needs, begs, to be part of the general tasks. =D= =D= =D=
    Brilliant and moving!
    Ko Hoshino reeled me right in with her impatience and eagerness. I loved her instructor's patience as a contrast and his wisdom. I adored the line "It is a sword that can be turned off." :cool: And if using the Force through focusing, even a stick can be a formidable weapon.
    Also impressed by the fact that Jedi do not initiate the attack but only defend and protect and respond to attacks of others in roles of peace keeping/maintaining. This is not to say they are not proactive and very observant, just not overtly, rashly aggressive, or acting out of anger and vengeance.
    The music was gorgeous, as well, a fitting backdrop to the action.
    I would adore it if Ko Hoshino eventually made it into fanfictions. :cool:

BookExogorth and Ananta Chetan like this.
  4. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
  5. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Which parts of Hoshino's temperament could you personally empathize with and how would you strive to avoid making the same mistakes?

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Right, let's do the task! :cool:

What Irishi has learned from the fan film is that one has to be patient with everything one does. Everything that happens, happens for a reason. And everything that a person learns, there is a reason why we learn it. (Is that the right way to say it??? I'm not sure...) Patient, patient, patient...and cautious. In the movie, the Padawan didn't have the patient to learn and polish her lightsaber skills, she was interested in getting the chance to hold a real lightsaber. But what happens what that chance finally arrives? She found herself in a cave full of bats (???), and even with a lightsaber in hand, she couldn't defend herself properly, which led to that she lost her sight in both of her eyes.

Another thing that Irishi (I) noticed, was the relation between the losing of her sight and when her Master taught her to fight her enemy without the using of her vision. She was so certaint about never having to face her enemies without a vision...And you can never know when, and if, a person will stab you when you turn your back against them. (Which the Master showed in the movie)

At least, but not last, the Jedi uses his/her weapon to defend, never to attack. :bluesaber::greensaber:

@Ananta Chetan

7. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    @Ananta Chetan

Patience is a virtue that apprentices must continue to cultivate. Patience must be cultivated well through the Padawan training years and into Knighthood. In "Hoshino," we can see the consequences of losing patience during Padawan-hood.

This video shows Padwan Hoshino becoming anxious to advance in her Jedi training under Master Jon-Su. Over two training areas, training sabers and "laser dodge," Hoshino became anxious. Her anxiousness likely blunted the learning her master intended.

Her anxiousness led her down a road towards rebellion against master...

Padawan Hoshino: "Master Jon-Su, when are we moving on to lightsabers?"

Master Jon Su: "That is not the right question."

...While Master Jon-Su was sleeping by a fire in the wilderness, she used the force to call his lightsaber to her...She then proceeded to take the saber and enter a dark cave at nighttime. While her rebelliousness shows a teenage innocence, she appears to have become injured and blinded as a result of a bat-like species attacking her in the cave. Her impatience led to rebellion. It was rebellion that led to her injury in the cave.

The video ends showing Hoshino as a Master defending against a darkside attacker. Impatience and Rebellion can lead to scarring, both physical and mental.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How I do love the psychological/personality type questions! :cool:
    I would want to avoid any impatience or thinking that my instructor does not know what he's talking about; that his advice does not, or will not ever, apply to me. I would not want to barge into a situation unprepared even with the best of intentions and be caught in a trap/situation I could have avoided falling into in the first place.
    A key way to avoid that is to analyze why is he telling me this? What things that might arise would this advice be good to follow? The blindfold exercise teaches you to rely on other senses as well as to fight the "inner darkness." [face_thinking] I would want to think about what that would/could mean in my case, what things might be a pitfall. A good way also to avoid falling into a trap is to learn from the mistakes other students have made.
    @};-
    @Ananta Chetan

[face_batting]

9. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Follow-up Questions...

@Jedi Master Kenobiwan
    Looking back at your relationship with your own Master as a padawan, what personality traits could you identify with and see in Hoshino that were similar to your own at that time and how have you changed and grown as a Knight since then?

@Tython Awakening
    Share a moment IC (you can make something up) where you felt impatient with your Master during your training and how you persevered and cultivated self-discipline in light of it.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    What advice would you hypothetically give in the beginning to your future Master in order to adapt to your specific needs and effectively train you?

10. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    @Ananta Chetan
    @vncredleader

IC: Tython
    * speaking to at least @Ananta Chetan and @vncredleader and other Jedi near a shaded area with heavy laser-cut stone seating and objects

"Anxiousness, if there was ever anything that has held me back, that might be it. I can easily step back to days when my impatience was simply too much in getting through saber cadences. As an initiate, I often thought I would be given a lightsaber of my choosing and with the lightsaber would come force abilities. No quite so.... I experienced the rush of similar impatience in my Jedi archive studies.

As a Padawan, I learned it is through *drilling and repetition* that one overcomes their current limitations and advances. I know that I still have a long way to go. However, working closely with Jedi masters has imparted on to me how to slowly move forward with confidence. Through drilling with repetition, seeking a healthy diet, meditation, thankfulness, balance, and physical discipline, the body can advance into levels of difficulty required of a Jedi Knight. Sleep is also important. As Padawans, we must wake up refreshed with no distractions to derail our focus.

Recognizing that jealousy may be at the root of impatience is important. Maintaining thankfulness for what we have in the present can help us to forgo the misery of jealousy. Meditation, prayer, fasting, and exerting goodwill towards others can help us remain thankful. Allowing our attention to drift to various galactic holoscreens with their specious images will inevitably erode our thankfulness for what we already have.

The masters have shown me this does not come automatically, rather, it is gifted to those who are worthy. And when it is gifted, Padawans must be ready to greet it at the door and walk into the journey of a lifetime. It is through the pairing with a Knight that a Padawan can acquire the strengths of a Jedi. A Master Knight can guide a Padawan forward, but ultimately, a Padawan's spirit must be ready for the challenges that await. "

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Very astute observations my Padawan. @BookExogorth can attest to my impatience when on Illum. It is a trial most every Jedi must face.Understanding it and preparing for it early on is a great way deal with it in advance.

OOC: not to rush you or anything, but have you been looking into your previous task? Just checking so I know when to starting writing up the next one

12. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    As a Padawan, I was in the constant need of seeking out action and adventures, which I am still, but the need is not that strong anymore as I learned over the year to polish my control over my feelings and emotions. My need often made my reckless and impatient, but Master Battershell was always there to keep my mind in the here and now, and I have always learned to respect and listen to the elders/the people who have more knowledge (A trait that I gave Irishi through RL experiences), which is the main cause that as a Padawan I rarely ran into any troubles. ( :p )

But there was a time that I sustained an injury. It was during my first session of lightsaber training; I was so excited about the whole thing that I forgot to place mats on the floor to brace any hard impacts with the ground. So when Master Tim force pushed me backwards when I was going for a mid-air attack (My memories are not completely in sync here, and we don't have the off-site temple anymore...), I landed really hard on my back, which led to that I had to spend to days in the med-bay. Of course, unlike Hoshino, I didn't get any life-lasting injuries, which I'm very glad for.

This story is a pretty classic example of what happens when one is impatient and just what to get things going. Sometimes you just have to be patient, and do things step by step, and perhaps do a double check to make sure that everything is in place, don't just rush it. This is a thing that both me in RL and Irishi has learned through years and years of training and drilling, there a few steps to go, but we'll get there in the end. :bluesaber:

@Ananta Chetan

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I would advise any mentor/instructor that I welcome reasons behind the task if unclear. Just because it's always been done isn't enough. :p I also would not mind working in a group setting not as a form of competition but to learn from and motivate amongst the students. [face_thinking] I am not mechanically inclined ;) so the more intangible side of learning and/or lessons dealing with trait building/acquiring are the things I would gravitate towards.

@Ananta Chetan

:D

14. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
  15. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    This'll probbly be your final initiate task, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha. Please tell me three things that you are looking forward to learn more about as a Padawan, and why those three things. :yoda:

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Jedi Master Kenobiwan
    1. I'd love to learn how to balance fairness in negotiating diplomatic outcomes that are fair for both parties involved. I think this is a crucial lesson and cannot be learned too early if one is to strive to help maintain or reestablish peace. [face_thinking]
    2. I think it would be fascinating to learn how to navigate the differences/similarities of first contact (forr me) ;) of a society at two ends of the spectrum/continuum of technology etc. This is vital for uprooting any misconceptions or biases going in.
    3. I would think it would be essential to learn how to work as part of a team where successful completion of a mission goal necessitates cooperation. Does not have to be a big major crisis type mission; it is essential irregardless.

:cool:

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A cynic would say that a good compromise is one where both parties are unsatisfied. Obviously that's not an ideal outcome, but sometimes that's the best we can do.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  18. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
  19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Now who's a cynic?

Sarge likes this.
  20. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Brother Bonaventure prefers the term realist. :p

21. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Well answered, my friend. I shall award you with 3 FPs. Points, please, @Bardan_Jusik

I shall now hand you over to the Council again. I believe that you are ready to be taken as a Padawan, according to the total of your force points. :luke:

@Ananta Chetan

22. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

*goes out for Enclave rations* :p

23. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Bring me back some dark chocolate with orange essence please Master Chetan! Actually (as its 35C here) a block of ice would do well too.

BookExogorth and Ananta Chetan like this.
  24. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    *adds it to the list* ;)

*pulls out binoculars scanning the snowy walkways for potential Jedi*

25. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Oct 8, 2011
    Is Master Chetan taking take-away orders? If so, I want four bottles of Sprite. :p

@Ananta Chetan