main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To those who think the ST killed Star Wars, how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoulderFaceplant, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Good for those people. For me, the fan humor in the TLJ complaint thread is my favorite thing that has resulted from the Disney era thus far.

jimkenobi and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I love the fact that Disney are making better SW films than GL... [face_whistling]...and more money!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Um. No. That is not an opinion. It did create a whole new generation of fans. I know this because I'm one of them. I and many other people would not be here if it weren't for the prequels.

crapiola, wobbits, DBPirate and 2 others like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Telling strangers on the Internet that you know what they think better than they do isn’t cool.

Everyone play nicely here. Each poster is entitled to like and dislike whatever they like or dislike without being told that they are “wrong” to do so.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Re-worded. [face_peace]

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, to me it was more like an adaptation of an average novel from the old EU. Which, yes, is preferable to the ST thus far, but for me still pretty far removed from the original saga.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. ralfyman

ralfyman Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2018
    It does not affect me as much because I see SW as essentially entertainment. Given that, I appreciate works like The Human Condition and the Apu stories more. For literature, there's The Sea of Fertility tetralogy, among others.

8. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I cope very well because I still have six Star Wars movies that I love. As much as Disney has misbehaved I don't think they would stoop low enough to make changes to the original six films, and after The Last Jedi backlash I don't think we have to worry about the PT being remade or being declared non- canon. And Im sure Disney will make future video releases of the films available as separate trilogies (although I find it annoying that we probably will never get the roman numerals on the covers again). I was always skeptical of a sequel trilogy after Lucas sold Star Wars, so I have more or less had 5 or 6 years to process this and reconcile it. And for me, the ST is such a disaster that it makes it all the more easier to pretend it doesn't exist. If it had been at least mediocre or had flashes of brilliance or moments of greatness it would have been much harder to ignore. It also helps that Lucas had nothing to do with it, which of course makes it easier to think of it as non canon. Also, you and I are definitely not alone in our opinion that the ST does not live up to the standards of Star Wars. Its probably far harder for prequel haters to ignore the PT than it is for me to ignore the ST, so Im not really going to complain.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    What does that even mean?

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I enjoy all the movies a great deal. GL's six-part saga is a complex and complete work of cinematic art that to me will remain unsurpassed for years to come (maybe forever), but it's great to see Star Wars expanded on so many fronts; to see that it's still going strong.
    In my eyes, the third Saga trilogy doesn't behave as a part of GL's story arc, so I'm not particularly miffed about LFL's retro approach or their decision to deviate from his story. Disappointed, sure, but I don't care all that much. The movies are still excellent and I love the increased diversity in the cast - though it should be further increased, IMO... and extended! I'm still waiting for a Star Wars director who isn't a white man.

So, the original Saga still stands on its own two feet and no sequel, good or bad, will ever bring it to its knees. Star Wars is George Lucas's brainchild and any story that fails to understand his universe will only hurt itself.

This might strike you as weird, but I usually base my opinion of a movie on my own experience with it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor gave wooden performances?

2) It is well documented the control over which George had on ESB and ROTJ. As @Mindless Monster said, it is not debatable.

3) Fair enough

4) Darth Maul didn't die in the prequels.

5) No, it's not "my" opinion. I'm part of that new generation of fans, along with many many posters on this site and countless others in real life.

crapiola likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Everything is debatable.

13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015

14. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    That's NOT what I was saying. Of course I base my own opinions on my experience. I was pointing out what other actors had said about Lucas' directing.

kalzeth and Lulu Mars like this.
  15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Declaring the EU non canon, canceling Clone Wars before it could even finish, getting rid of Lucas's story treatments, the disingenuous and disrespectful marketing of TFA, and the shameless rehash of the OT.

16. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Not sure what you mean by the bold text above. What was disrespectful of the TFA marketing campaign? And also - Disney haven't touched the OT?

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The TFA marketing campaign focuses on parading the so called 'return' to practical effects, despite TFA actually featuring the least practical effects of any SW movie up to that point.

As for the rehash statement, it refers to how the ST is little more than a soft remake of the OT, such as repeating major plot structures, key character arcs and visual style, leaving it without a distinct identity.

18. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Lucas CHOSE not to direct ESB & ROTJ it wasn't forced upon him. That's what I meant by more control. It's like if your boss gives you an assignment; he isn't relenting control by having you do it, it's just part of being a boss. Lucas has had pretty much complete autonomy since ESB.

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The worst decision in the history of Star Wars. By far.

20. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I cope by heavy drinking and crying into my pillow before falling asleep.

In all seriousness, as much as TLJ threw a wrench into a bulk of the new canon, life goes on. I've stopped reading the canon books/comics temporarily (gonna jump back in once Thrawn Alliances comes out). Until then, I've been keeping myself busy with some of the less talked about parts of the EU. Mainly the Marvel comics from the 70's and 80's at the moment.

21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Seems like a nice balanced approach here.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually Star Wars lost it's "cool" a couple of years after ROTJ. Why anyone would want them to be cool I don't know as that is a temporary state until the next cool thing comes along. SW started getting cool again with the Thrawn trilogy but it really did with the SE's then the PT then that fades as it does then it's cool again with the new movies.

Here's the difference though that is now set up. SW will at some point (and it's starting already) to be un-cool even with movies in the theaters. Not being cool when no movies are coming out is normal enough but eventually sooner or later they will be uncool even when they are coming out.

Not really. Just for those who didn't like the PT water. In NA the PT outgrossed LOTR, Harry Potter and Spider-Man. On top of that it takes the first 4 Harry Potter movies combined to match the 3 PT movies.

As we know both LOTR, Harry Potter and Spider-Man were deeply unpopular and uncool movies that everyone despised just like the prequels.

Yes the PT was a laughing stock just like LOTR, Harry Potter and Spider-Man which it outgrossed in NA. We also know what a laughing stock the Dark Knight Trilogy is because it only made 50 million or so more than the PT. Clearly anything that is that close to the PT is a joke as well in the eyes of the audience.

And of course we know that despite every objective metric telling us that the PT were wildly popular that they in no way could possibly contribute to the success of the new movies. I mean it doesn't make any sense at all to think that the super-success of one set of Star Wars movies would have any impact at all on another. I mean no one seriously believes that the PT's success had anything to do with the OT do they?

That clearly doesn't make sense because if that were the case then you'd have to make the incredible claim that the ST's success is related to the PT's success which would then be related to the OT's success.

No, clearly there is no relation whatsoever between these movies in the eyes of the audience.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  23. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Lucas directed all of the throne room scenes in ROTJ due to time constraints to finish the film on time. He chose not to direct TESB because of the awful time he had directing ANH. But Gary and Ivan nearly derailed TESB's production by going way over budget and overtime, to the point Lucas had to personally step in and set production back on track by deleting planned scenes and crawling back to Fox for more funding. TESB ended up being a worse ordeal for Lucas than ANH was and he ended up being hospitalized for extreme ulcers he got from the debacle.

As for how I cope, I try to just ignore the ST, as I find nothing redeeming in them. To me, the ST are very poorly thought out and made fan films, as is RO. The OT and PT are excellent films IMHO, and the ST is just not good. The ST are not the worst films I ever seen, but I think they are pretty stinky. To tell the truth, I can't help but feel declining interest to the SW franchise in general because of Disney's NuSW. Just burned out by the quantity over quality approach of the current Star Wars.

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It wasn't all the throne room scenes that Lucas directed in ROTJ. There are photos in the CT forum showing Marquand directing throne room scenes.

crapiola likes this.
  25. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I don’t see how TFA had the fewest practical effects? To me it seemed like a healthy mix. You don’t see people walking around in video game environments like in the PT, which is what people were concerned about.

As for the “rehash” silliness, it’s been explained many times how the ST is not a rehash beyond a few surface elements.

Avnar likes this.