main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should EA retain the Star Wars license?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Outsourced, Dec 3, 2017.

?

Should EA retain the Star Wars license?

1. Yes!

10.9%
  2. No!

78.3%
  3. Unsure!

10.9%
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  2. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    This

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    EA has seriously F'd up in the past year with Battlefront II's loot crates and killing what would have been the first Star Wars RPG in probably a decade with Visceral. They've proven swiftly that exclusivity over Star Wars gaming is a bad, bad thing.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No. Not because I hate Battlefront, but because I want to see more games

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Depends if theres plans to continue Battlefront at all, or if EA has any other games in development. On one hand, EA is failing to make a complete, compelling SW package, and with five years and only two mediocre/above average games plus constant controversy, the odds of a another worthy SW game get slim.

Also, I fear Battlefront (my favorite sub franchise) will become dead given the trouble it's causing and it would suck (yet be highly ironic) if we don't get a Battlefront 3 again. If another company is willing to make better Battlefront games (and more games beyond the multiplayer FPS market), and Disney is ok with continuing Battlefront, then yes, EA should lose rights.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'd be fine with Battlefront dying again. Battlefront under EA was never truly Battlefront. They chose a linear, narrative driven experience over the sandbox experience provided by the original games. Not my cup of tea.

MrZAP and lookameatbag like this.
  7. Gabr Saab

Gabr Saab Jedi Knight

Jun 1, 2017
    No, and I highly doubt their exclusivity deal is going to be renewed after it expires.

I'd like to see Ubisoft tackle a Star Wars game to be honest. Their recent releases have shown that they still have a trick up their sleeve.

8. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    No, quality of games aside it should be a great time for Star Wars gaming and it's completely stagnant. For console players at least, and I barely register those mobile games as "games". The few games we've gotten have been nothing new or groundbreaking. They rebooted the Battlefront franchise and added an entry into the LEGO Star Wars series. The most promising/original game on the horizon was scrapped and at this point I'm not even sure what's on the books.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    When you really think about it, EA's horribly wasted their license. It was a ten year deal, right? What've they done in that time so far now that it's more than halfway through?

A Battlefront reboot that was, in my opinion, an enormous waste of potential with a player base that rapidly declined. And then a sequel to that reboot that had extremely negative attention before it even came out and, to my knowledge, is seen as pretty meh, and a mobile game or two. What it called? Galaxy of Heroes or something? Which I've heard is somewhat generic

And that's it. Oh yeah, and they canceled at least one SW game, that being an RPG that was in early development and seems to have no chance of revival

What came out between, say, 2000 to 2010?

Action games like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, RPGs like both Kotor games (some of my favourite games of all time), the original Battlefront games and other shooters like Bounty Hunter and Republic Commando, racing games, games based on the PT films (Jedi Power Battles, The Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith), Rogue Squadron series, Starfighter games, RTS games like Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War, Force Unleashed I and II, Galaxies plus all its expansions, LEGO Star Wars series

And that's not even all of them. I still play a good deal of those from time to time today

I know as the years go by, making a game takes bigger and longer production, but it feels to me like had they really wanted, they could have done a LOT more with clear and steady vision that they evidently did not have. With less than half of that contract remaining and pretty much no chance of reaching even half of the achievements of LucasArts in its prime, it makes me doubt they'll get a second chance

Thank ****

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney should have known that EA's games tend to be made for "gamers" and not for the average person. Star Wars games should be made for the fans of the franchise who may or may not be "gamers" and shouldn't be big productions in and of themselves.

lookameatbag and Seagoat like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well said.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've just learned that Petroglyph, which developed Empire at War and its expansion, pitched a sequel to Empire at War to EA. (My guess is First Order at War or something)

EA rejected it

I guess they believe RTS games have no place in the modern market. But I'd have gotten it for sure

MrZAP likes this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I want a game with a meaty solo player campaign. I really miss that with Star Wars.

15. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Yes EA access should be revoked.

They have had the licence for how many years ? and all we have to show for it is two crappy battlefront games and a multitude of even crappier mobile games.

No strategy games,
    No RPG games.
    No space simulation games.

All these genres and possibilities gone to waste.

EA should of had there licence revoked just for that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    psyarg and lookameatbag like this.
  16. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Dp

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018