main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    They can still use the bridge explosion incident to explain why she ended up dying a year later, or whenever they decide to start the new chapter. As we can see in TLJ, she never looked fully recovered and maybe this is how she goes out. A funeral scene at the beginning could explain all this and could add to the guilt of Kylo Ren's character, as he could blame himself for that too if he's seeking redemption in IX...which I think needs to happen, and this could lend to that outcome. I say if you're going to kill her off, make it add to the narrative going forward.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    But wouldn't unused outtake stuff need to have the exact dialog for the movie?

Anyone find out if that clip from Battlefront is actually Carrie standing in and/or her actual voice?

3. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    I like the idea of explaining it in the opening crawl. Maybe there is a monument or a poster of her in the movie that Poe can look up at for a moment and think "Wow, what a great leader...." Not sure I like the funeral idea. In every Star Wars funeral we've seen a shot of that character and I don't think they'll do the same with Leia. We won't see her at all, but her death will be explained.

4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    If Aaliyah's brother could do his sister's voice in ADR for queen of the damned why couldn't a voice actor do Leia?

They had another actress stand in for cgi for rogue one. And I'm sure there's tons of ways to write dialogue around unused scenes.

I'd love to see the maz scene where she gives Leia Luke's lightsaber -- from the old TFA previews. JJ could write a scene or two around that.

case in point -- from TFA deleted scene with Korr Sella

New scene episode IX -- maybe hologram Leia or in person with cgi different clothes or hair
    --Rey "we need to recruit more systems"
    Poe --"we can try XXXXX. We need someone to go.
    Finn volunteers
    --genera Leia "Finn -- I need you to go right away and insist they take action against the first order"
    -- Rey and Poe talk with Finn and Finn makes comment that it sounds crazy but might work
    And Leia says "not all think I'm insane. Or maybe they do. But I don't care"

Voila. Reused dialogue from deleted scene

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Overall I think just killing her will be better. This way you won't have people saying it is disrespectful or what not.

6. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I beg to differ. Just because she's dead doesn't mean Leia has to die. Back in the 80s/90s I could see that. Or the whole Leia performance from the last Jedi shelved out of fear for disrespect

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The exact opposite happened. If they had shelved it they would have to reshoot the whole film.

8. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I know. So why stop with the last Jedi especially since leia's story is still left to tell

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe it is Kylo who is mulling over an attack on the Rebels and he pulls up an old hologram or photo of Leia (CG/de-aged younger Leia, maybe 10 years before TFA) but while staring at it he goes into a kind of Force trance or something and he hears Leia's voice speaking to him. This Voice-Over can be a combination of existing/outtake Carrie dialog and another voice actor to fill in Leia's dialog for whatever words they need to converse with Kylo. This conversation then helps trigger Kylo's turn to the light later in the movie...So through the Force Leia still plays an instrumental part in the movie without being on screen really.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    As long as it is done seemlessly I am happy.

12. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I know Kathleen Kennedy has ruled this out, but I would have prefered that they recreate Princess Leia in a computer as they did Governor Tarkin. The tech would hopefully had progressed even further by then and look even more believable.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Tarkin looked very good even then. I just don’t think it would be respectful with her families consent.

14. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I think Carrie would want to be in it no matter what, and live through it. I can imagine her in the Great Beyond chain smoking and playing poker with Dorothy Parker and saying, “excuse me, I have to check out what the hell they did with me at the premiere... they better have made me thin!”

There’s hundred of hours of footage of Carrie with proper facial expressions that can be manipulated through a cgi costume and hair to give her a presence to complete the arc. Not to mention that huge increased paycheck she and her estate would have received with each new film in the sequel trilogy that was reported. But I already think they’re going this route anyway. I’m not talking a large part, probably a total of minutes tops.

15. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm hoping the bulk of her appearance is based on the unused footage from the previous movies. I'm certainly more comfortable seeing her image and voice manipulated with CGI, rather than a pure digital creation with another actors voice.

I could see her leaving the fray for most of the film, and handing over command to Poe. Most are assuming she'd be on a mission, but perhaps she's rebuilding the political structure for a post-FO galaxy. I thought at first she would perish in the final chapter, but maybe she can come out as the political leader. Part of me has always wanted a Supreme Chancellor Leia Organa.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think a big part of how Leia is portrayed will depend on how long of a timeframe has passed between TLJ and Episode IX. If it's only a year or two at most, perhaps it could be that Leia has taken up another post elsewhere in the galaxy, or some sort of fledgling political position-like an ambassador or something, and she's busy with things but we at least see her as a hologram in a scene or two. That could work IMO.

If IX takes place like 8-10 years after TLJ, then perhaps she could have died somehow in between-and they reference something about how she died heroically or something-holding a sort of memorial for her at or near the film's opening.

Either way, seeing how they handle Leia's character is oddly one of the things I'll be most interested to see in Episode IX...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  17. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Definitely open with her memorial.

You know, after the traditional Star Destroyer opening where Hux plans his usurpation

18. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I reiterate that they shouldn't kill her. Todd Fisher let the cat out of the bag early because I'm certain that Kathleen Kennedy got his blessing for plans for Leia in episode IX.

Seeing Leia with a small reduced role -- most likely smaller than the force awakens -- will be the surprise in the next film.

Plus I fet there was a double meaning when Luke said that he can't save kylo Ren. Meaning he cant but she could. Because after she agrees and says her son is truly gone he replies with no one ever really being gone. The setup was for her to save Ben. Given carrie's passion for the role I think her family would support closure of her arc.

She deserves more than a mention in the opening crawl or memorial service. We mourned carrie's passing. Why mourn Leia?

And please not a repeat of being blown up. It's reductive and even worse. Our icon is dead so let's blow her up? Yuck

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It does have a nice ring to it.

20. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Poe mentioning Leia is Prime Minister of the New Republic, working with planets and allies forming whatever new government is developing to face the FO, would be an easy way to have Leia off screen in Ep. 9.

Would still need her in a brief hologram sequence, speaking to Poe from another planet, IMHO. Which would be a combination of existing Carrie footage and audio, some CGI, and some dubbing from another voice actor. Maybe the new government is setting up on Naboo?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  21. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Yeah, I think that is most likely what will happen on a basic and practical level. I really don’t think they would just kick her off because it’s too much of a downer with real life. And I think she was probably always meant to survive the series no matter what (whereas I think Luke was always slated to die in the manner he did and come back a powerful ghost, and Ford more or less forced the decision of his demise because he’d only do one movie.... heresay, but a good guess.) but I still think the powers that be are or were figuring out how to bring Leia into the Kylo redemption crescendo moment. I imagine it will be by a robed standin with a lot of back light, and Adam Driver really selling the moment, “mother!” Closeups on recycled footage of Fisher’s eyes, a hand stand in reaching out, etc.

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Agree, i don't think that Leia should be killed off in ep9. Too close to real life. Sending her away on a political mission and only glimpses of her as a hologram or something, using a combination of unused footage, stand-up (and CGI?) could achieve that.

So yes, to see(hear about) Leia becoming the new chancellor of the Republic by the end of ep9 would be cool IMO. But i feel that JJ, KK and all will go the more pragmatic way and have her killed off in between the two movies. Hope i'm wrong.

23. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Having Leia dying between movies is the worst option we have, which probably means that is the choice they'll make. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  24. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah, they definitely need to keep her alive, and use whatever footage they have and maybe a combination of CGI work to have her appear in a scene or two in IX. Reduce her role to something very small, and away from the central conflict of the movie, but don't kill her off. That would be the laziest and most unsatisfying option they could choose...and I expect it, but I really really hope they don't. They can pull off something really great by keeping her alive.

25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I hope that doesnt happen, the backlash would be bigger than any gripes with TLJ. This is coming from someone who enjoyed TLJ and didnt have any major issues with it. Killing off a pivotal character like Leia, outside the movie, would be an insult to Carrie and her family, as well as the characters role in the SW universe.

DarthHass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.