main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Well maybe some new additions..
    I think is almost a given that we have to see the Rebellion "born again"...
    And there must be some kind of learderspish sourronding those we already know
    just to underline the idea that other systems have joined the fight.
    Just like Mom Mothma or Akbar in VI...it's not that they have to play the same role
    or being given of that much of screen time, lines... but I think there must be something like this.
    I also think that we might see a kind of court or war council sourronding the new Supreme Leader... or Hux. If they want to create - as I think they will - a strong contrast between the
    two, it's more likely that Ren will be portrayed "alone" while Hux is plotting with others.

However, I believe ep. IX could be the chance to use more the actors and the characters we have.
    Hux and Maz above all.

Beside - as I said - what is needed to give the sense that time had passed - I think they're going to give a spot to those we know.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Personally, I think bringing back the First Order vs. Resistance dynamic is kind of a loser. I'd rather see a time jump with Kylo following his Jacobin tendencies and fighting a war against slave owners which Hux thinks is a waste and doesn't want to fight. That would shake things up. But if they were going to shake things up, Kylo would have made a better pitch/offer to Rey and she would have accepted. So Resistance v. First Order, it is.

3. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree that would be interesting and different.
    In TLJ they actually tried to show that in war both sides were wrong with DJ but then chickened out. And went back to "good" resistance vs "bad" first order.
    I really hope they would show something different regarding war and "ruling" the galaxy since Kylo is Supreme Leader now.

B99 likes this.
  4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Wow. We have very different tastes in Star Wars.

I don't think they ever intended to convey the message that both sides were wrong. That would have undermined Rose's character in her entirety. As in R1, they were just adding some complexity. In this case, it was the idea that the arms dealers were only loyal to credits. DJ is a nihilistic, amoral character (and I loved him, btw), but he is not meant to represent the "correct" view of the galaxy.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard a rumor that the movie title will have the Roman numeral "IX" in it somewhere.

6. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    It's a long shot, but I have wondered if IX will be about the Resistance gathering their forces at the edge of the galaxy, in preparation for a larger Resistance vs First Order war to start at the end of the film. That way LFL could make spin-off movies featuring the ST cast set after IX.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I don't think that is impossible, but I really expect that IX will have a significant time jump (at least 6 months, maybe more) and that the Rebellion will already be reestablished.
    I could almost see a The Clone Wars type show coming in to fill in the gap between TLJ and IX. As the trilogy closer, IX has to have an ending we can put a bow around (even if the bow is untied later).

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014

Does this count as a rumor? :p

Senator Wan and Darth Smurf like this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    wrong thread. : )

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So you want them to ignore the conflict they've spent the last two films setting up and instead focus on something completely unrelated? That makes sense.

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Have you heard of the new rumor that Episode IX ends with Rey scanning and uploading all of the sacred ancient Jedi texts, for all of the public to see.

Jedi Historian and cwustudent like this.
  12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    She posts them on Forcebook.

13. Aetius888

May 23, 2005
    Rather than bring back something that's played out? Yep.

14. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Played out? The conflict is far from resolved. Can you imagine the uproar if they ditch the FO vs Resistance plot they spent two movies building up? Isn't ditching stuff what people are upset about with TLJ?

15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I suspect that Aetius888 is referering to how this conflict retreads old ground. WWhich is an attitude I don't really understand. Just because the FO vs Resistance conflict echoes Empire vs Rebels, it doesn't mean that the former can't still tell great stories or be interesting and engaging. It's just the background setting anyway. Does anyone really look at other genres this way?

Star Wars now seems to need to fit into a goldilocks zone for many fans. I want new, but I want old. Not too new, not too old. (assuming that we could ever get more than a dozen fans to agree on anything).

16. Aetius888

May 23, 2005
    I look at it this way ... they seem to be on the Return of the Jedi course - the Rebels/Resistance regroup, get reinforced, and engage and win a big battle against the bad guys. beyond that being completely unrealistic to the ending of TLJ - where the Resistance has 12 people left - it just doesn't do much for me. Plus, I like the Rebels a lot more than the Resistance. And it's harder to buy into the Resistance when they just want to restore a system that's failed badly twice.

I don't think the relationships of the Sequel Trilogy are played. I'm just saying take those relationships, pull the rug out from under the context, and give us something different.

Star war likes this.
  17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    let's see how it plays out before condemning it. I have the feeling ep9 will take place several years later. Also we dont know what's gonna happen. For all we know Ben could "destroy" his own FO or there'll be a new jedi order by the end of the movie, meaning that now we have more of a stable peace or something. Or anything else i cant think of because i'm not a writer. But there are a thousand ways to tell a comoelling story in ep9.with a satisfying ending.

Now, of course, IMO at least, this is the "legacy" trilogy so the "children" of the Empire vs the "children" of the Rebels is what this trilogy is about and to enjoy it one has to be ok with it, but it certainly is the last time we see a neo-empire vs a ragtag band of rebels in x wing vs tie fighter dogfights. So let's enjoy it while it lasts. Because i'm sure the next sagas -ep 10 and so on if it happens or/an RJs trilogy- will be different in that regard. The deal is 6 saga movies of tie fighters and stormtroopers and star destroyers...then we'll have to move on from that. The spin offs will be where we can indulge in stormtroopersfests.

18. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I hope you are right.

Bcoz "good" resistance vs "bad"FO is not interesting at all.

I was bored out of my mind with resistance plot. So were the critics and GA going by the reviews.

People are not invested in Poe and co as much as they were in Leia , Han and co.

So lets hope IX shows us something interesting .

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Although i disagree with you on the interest for the Resistance/FO plot from critics and a part of the general audience (naval/aerial wars WWII-style is very much a part of SW's DNA) i think this should be the last trilogy using imperial and rebel imagery. It's gonna be difficult since it's visually something iconic that screams SW for everyone but it's a trick you can only use once. The FO is a bit like the imperal remnants in the old EU. So i think of it as the closure of the previous trilogy and the events that led to the fall of the Republic and the rise of a tyrannic government.

Maybe i'm wrong but i dont see how Lucasfilm can reuse all the OT imagery for a third time if the saga continues. I dont know what RJs trilogy will be about but i hope he creates something different. And i say this as a big ST fan so far. But yes, this should be the last time we see neo imperial forces fighting underdogs in x wings and mon cal cruisers.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I wouldn't say TLJ really build that conflict up. If anything, it downplayed it : the Republic turned into the Empire overnight, yet we don't see a single soul who cares about it : not Luke, not DJ, no one in Canto Bight, not a single of Leia's former allies.
    Even Maz "the-only-fight" Kenata has bigger fish to fry ! If the GFFA doesn't seem to care, why should we ?

Also, DJ's agumentation about the FO & Resistance being kind of the same / "two side of the same coin" is curiously never adressed or contradicted.
    The FO is never presented doing inherently bad things, only fighting their military enemy. Even worse, the main "Resistance guy" is shown not caring about his men lives, while the main "FO guy" recalls his pilots when they are exposed.

In fact, it is quite hard to root for the Resistance, based on TLJ alone...

21. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    You really think the ST says the FO and the Resistance/Rebellion are being portrayed as being morally equivalent, or even close to it? The FO? Nazi imagery and all?

I think I’ll go with the side the messianic hero is rooting for. It tends to be the side the narrative believes is correct.

22. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015

23. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Yes. Based on TLJ alone.

24. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I knew that the Resistance plot would drag the movie down cause it dragged TFA down too. I don't expect better from IX cause 2 movies couldn't do anything interesting with it. It's simply an uninteresting organization derivative of Rebels (but GL was smart to keep their inner workings such as chain of command, fuel and other mundane deficiencies, off screen and focus on adventure away from the core organization) with uninteresting characters that try too hard and fail even harder to be New _______(insert OT character of choice). So I expect IX to be as lop-sided as previous 2 movies - great stuff regarding the Force and Force users, blah zzzz stuff regarding the military (Resistance/FO) portion.

25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I look at it differently than you guys. Unlike the Rebellion of the OT, the Resistance is Leia's legacy.

She picked and chose all the people that make up the organization. She's the leader and the heart.

The way Kylo wants to destroy it, is effectively like killing everything that his mother worked for.

Just like killing and destroying the new Jedi Order, was him destroying Luke's legacy.

It's too bad Carrie Fisher died.

Kylo being the head of the evil organization versus the good guy organization headed by his mother had a lot of potential.

And we're probably get hints of that stuff that happened between TLJ and IX.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    burg2774 and Krueger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.