main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what happened to ALTTP/OOS/OOA/LA Link after Link's Awakening.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, he's not the same Link as ALBW, due to the timespan between them. My fanon theory is he washed ashore in Calatia and his descendant becomes the LOZ/AOL Link way down the road. I used to like to think he found the "real" Marin and lived happily ever after. But then LADX turned her into a seagull so that would make things a little weird now.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I spent half an hour or so doing the Champions Ballad quest with the one-hit, quarter-heart weapon before I turned the game off. Terrible.

So I came across this video on YouTube detailing the music in Breath of the Wild and how it's used. Pretty good stuff. "...composer Manaka Kataoka... shows real restraint in how she withholds those banging tunes and famous bits of music until the perfect moment. Other times you're just left with the quiet, atmospheric echoes of exploring a long dead kingdom."

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah it was an interesting contrast to the usual stuff from Kondo or Minegishi. As much as I love their stuff, I'm not sure they would have been quite the right fit for the atmosphere of BOTW.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Marin can switch between seagull and human forms?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not without introducing a new story element- something unlikely to be done to appease a fan theory ;).

I mean, unless she got tossed into the Dark World or something- but that no longer exists as of LA.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, Nintendo is porting Hyrule Warriors to the Switch, and its supposed to include everything from the Wii U and 3DS versions. Glad I held back from the 3DS version, I was tempted to get it for its epilogue scenario, but it'll be much better to play/watch it on a Switch rather than a 3DS.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I've never played any Dynasty Warriors/spinoff game, but I'm tempted by Hyrule Warriors. Looks fun.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It will depend on the price for me- I never made much progress in the Wii U version of HYWA but if it ends up being cheaper to just get the DLC for Wii U than buying the game all over, I'll probably go with that even if I might be missing out on the 3DS story content carrying over to the Switch version.

Not to mention I have storage to kill on my U's external drive and i already have FEWA for Switch so I kinda have the Warriors angle covered for that system.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just finished Zora's Domain and Ruta. Getting into Ruta was kind of a pain. I didn't even think of using Cryo to shatter the defensive ice blocks until the boss battle. Jeez. So many arrows wasted.

That boss battle got a little frustrating towards the end but nothing too major.

I still can't beat a Lynel. Apparently I need to upgrade my Stasis. I haven't yet upgraded any of my abilities. So I guess I need to head back to that lab and see if they can help?

I also came upon the Lost Woods, but the fog keeps sending me back out.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You don't need stasis to beat a Lynel - it might help, but every time I tried they shrugged it off quick.

A good collection of Royal Broadswords helps, as does fully upgraded armour.

They are really the Boss enemy of the game.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Two things can be extremely helpful with Lynels- Flurry Rush, and Parry. The former is especially helpful and not too difficult to pull off. That said, trying to kill a White Lynel was a pain for me even with full hearts and the best equipment. I never bothered trying to fight a silver one.
    The trick is to follow the torches, and once you pass them all you follow the embers of your own torch. There wasn't much I looked up for the game but that was one thing I was like "yeah no I need help".

Oh BTW I beat the game last week. Such a great experience, the whole game was. Also I loved after the minimalist approach to music throughout the game the composers went all out with these awesome bombastic themes for Hyrule Castle and Ganon.

And while I did every shrine and most of the side quests, I'm not gonna bother finding every Korok seed, especially since I know what that particular reward is. :p

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, never pulled off parry but flurry rush is essential for decking Lynels.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    @The2ndQuest , I know that you're an expert in non-canon Zelda media such as comics and cartoons. Other than Four Swords-centric stuff, is there any media in which Ganon is present but the Triforce isn't?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Game-wise, the Nightmare takes the form of Ganon (possibly implying it either actually is or is somehow related to the spirit of Ganon post-ALTTP, awaiting resurrection in the Oracle games) in Link's Awakening. The Triforce is still in Hyrule at this time (and not shown), not on/in Koholint Island/seas, Holodrum or Labrynna.

The first Captain N episode to continue the animated Zelda series from the Super Mario Bros Super Show, Quest for the Potion of Power, involves an attempt to resurrect Ganon (it's effectively a vague post-Zelda II-inspired scenario, as are the other Captain N episodes featuring Zelda, Link or Hyrule).

That episode shows a baby Ganon (basically whats left of him without his power) that is later restored to his giant monster form somewhere in Hyrule. I do not recall off the top of my head if we actually see the Triforces in that episode, but subsequent Zelda-featuring episodes establish that all three Triforces are present in the (presumably North) Castle under Zelda and Link's protection (such as when Eggplant WIzard and King Hippo steal one of them).

So, technically that episode only has Ganon but the Triforces are present, just potentially unseen.

I don't know the plots of all the Valiant comics super well off the top of my head, so I can't help you there.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Finally made my way through the Lost Woods and came upon the Master Sword. I only have five hearts (and 14 spirit orbs after the Korok trials), so I couldn't pull it free.

So I've gone back to exploring. I need to get more ancient cores. Any idea how?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Think they turn up in major battle shrines - I'd focus on upping your hearts and improving armour sets.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah. I've been exploring and finding shrines and therefore spirit orbs. Now that I'm not in school this semester I have more time to actually enjoy and appreciate this game. It really is lovely.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I've got a question for you Zelda fans.

Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of all time. But it's also the only Zelda game I've played through to completion. As a matter of fact, it's only the second Zelda game I've played at all, the other one being A Link to the Past. If I want to experience more of the franchise, what's the next game I should play? Should I go with one of the HD remasters on the Wii U, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess? Should I go back to the one I'm a little familiar with, ALttP on the SNES Classic? Should I borrow my friend's 3DS and trek through Ocarina of Time? Something else? Just want to get some opinions on this before I dive in.

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Definitely Ocarina. It looks really great on the 3DS and, of course, it's an amazing game, still the high point of the series.

And if you have the time, absolutely go after WW, TP, and ALTTP. WW and TP follow a similar basic structure to Ocarina, while ALTTP is more like BOTW in that there's a lot of flexibility with how you play through it; same goes for the original.

And if you're not tired of the series yet, you can check out Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword. SS is formulaic but pretty, while MM is just crazy fun.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ALTTP is still my favorite game and is probably the peak of the 2D series. A Link Between Worlds on 3DS is a fun successor to it with a very interesting new mechanic added in, but similar enough that you probably don't want to back-to-back them. Link's Awakening on GameBoy is also excellent.

Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword all take the same converted-to-3D blueprint from ALTTP. OOT basically set that tone and is, storywise, the one game almost all the others make reference to.

That said, Twilight Princess basically refines OOT but will probably feel closest to "BOTW but with plot structure". The first 2 or 3 dungeons in TP make it feel like an OOT remake, but they're good dungeons on their own. So if you've played OOT right before then, it can feel a little redundant at first but afterwards the game starts to open up with some really unique dungeons and item mechanics later in the game (as well as some epic boss fights).

Wind Waker is a gorgeous game and it's different visual style manages to distinguish it more from the other games.

Majora's Mask I have less experience with but is definitely darker and more unique with its Groundhog Day scenario.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's also the Oracle duology and The Minish Cap.

Zelda I and BOTW have similar gameplay.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I haven't played that many Zelda games (still haven't gotten around to finishing BotW, its a long tough but very fun game, and I've been easily distracted), but I do highly recommend Link Between Worlds, its an excellent game and a fun follow-up to Link to the Past.

Ironically the Wii U would be a good place to get plenty of Zelda games at once, between the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes. Either that or the 3DS, since both have quite a few remakes and Virtual Console Zelda games between them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if the Flute Boy in ALTTP is a Hero of Time cosplayer.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, interesting fan observation I came across regarding BOTW's map and general Hyrule geography. Now, I haven't played BOTW yet so I can't personally connect any additional details but it seems quite compelling.

Basically, the main conundrum being that Spectacle Rock is located in the southeast unlike it's usual northern locations in other games, in the Gerudo region of this map:

[​IMG]

However, apparently BOTW also provides height line map data. So, if one were to raise the sea levels (as Hyrule tends to flood over time, regardless of timeline branch), you get a very interesting result, shown below with some labels from AOL:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If so, it would make BOTW the first game since 1988 to feature Northern Hyrule / the greater kingdom at large. Still, a cool bit of continuity (even if it ends up being a coincidence) for us Hyrule geography geeks.

Indeed.

Wii U VC: LOZ, AOL, ALTTP, OOT, MM, PH, ST, TMC
    Wii U: TWWHD, TPHD, BOTW, HYWA
    Wii Mode: SS, LCT
    Total: 14 games.

3DS VC: LOZ, ALTTP, LADX, OOA, OOS
    3DS: ALBW, OOT3D, MM3D, TH, HYWAL
    DS Mode: PH, ST
    Total: 12 games.

Between the two the only main ones you'd be missing would be FS & FSA, I believe.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    darklordoftech likes this.