main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree she must either live or be killed somehow on screen.

2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Frankly, if she has to die in the final chapter, I hope its a peaceful transition to the Force, as we saw with Luke. Carrie would have likely been facetious about the issue though and preferred to go out guns blazing or in some semi comical way, like flipping a switch and taking out herself and the FO with a single motion. I enjoyed her raw and twisted sense of humor, but I don't think it can be applied to Leia.

DarthHass likes this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe in the opening crawl

4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Leia must live!

I saw TLJ again. There's still story to tell and JJ cannot ignore it.

I hope Natalie Portman decides to reprise her role. Maybe they could use other actors to play "Leia" as force visions kinda the way they did Heath ledger in that movie -- I don't remember the title

5. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    The imaginarium of doctor Parnassus. You're welcome.
    Not a bad idea. I'd almost prefer "Leia's off doing some important stuff organizing a new republic" and have a body double but no dialogue (like they do with fake celebrities/presidents in movies). Then, she's elected Chancellor of the new republic at the end. I don't know how to make it work, but it sounds better than letting Leia die because the person who played her is dead.

6. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Yes! That's the film. Thank you for naming it.

I said this in another thread but wanted to add it here. If Leia ever confronted hux or was captured I would've loved to hear her re-use her line "I recognized your foul stench--" before getting cut off by hux telling her the resistance was finished

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Prediction! At the beginning of the movie we're told that Leia is off on a secret mission that could turn the tide. Late in the movie it'll be revealed that Leia has been dead for the entire duration of the film, though she wasn't killed, rather she chose to became one with the Force. From the beginning of the movie onward Kylo Ren is receiving messages perhaps unknowingly from his mother and they have a huge impact on him. It turns out that Leia's secret mission to turn the tide was that she would die/become one with the Force and use her new Force powers to communicate with Kylo. Leia perhaps felt like becoming one with the Force was the only way to make an impact on Kylo.

As I've mentioned before Leia would appear to Kylo as a little girl in a dream or a vision.

ETA: Leia does this mission in secret because she knows that if Rey, Poe and the Rebels knew what her intentions were they'd try to talk her out of it at the very least and at most try and prevent her carrying out her Force meld so to speak.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  8. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I could get into a story along these lines.

9. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I think she's going to die and her death will be related to Kylo, following the line of Han and Luke. I would choose a story where she sacrifices her life to save her son's life, as long as Kylo's final destiny is to be redeemed.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    As mentioned in another thread I'm also thinking that there might be a six to twelve month time jump and the crawl will tell us that the Rebels have been in hiding since the end of TLJ and haven't made any contact with the First Order since the battle of Crait.

Tie that into Leia's secret mission maybe some of the rebels are thinking that they should come out of hiding while others think it's best to wait for Leia to come back. This idea of waiting for Leia to come back to ostensibly fix everything strikes a chord with Rey. It reminds Rey of waiting for her parents to come back for her on Jakku. She now believes that waiting is the wrong approach. They can't keep thinking that the leaders of the older generation are going to save them.

Later we'll possibly learn that this was all part of Leia's plan. She perhaps felt like she needed to leave the rebels in order for the next generation to step up to the plate. Also maybe she felt like instead of dying at the hands of the First Order it would be better for her to merge with the Force. Leia knows that if she's killed by the First Order it will break the spirit of the remaining rebels. Instead she tells people she's going on a mission that will help turn the tide. This gives the rebels hope. Plus if Leia merged with the Force and she can influence Kylo Ren then her mission really might turn the tide. It's a win win.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    cathiecat likes this.
  11. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I like the idea of Leia becoming one with the Force, but I really think the highest tribute they can pay to Carrie is to have Leia survive and become the leader of the new Galactic Senate. Not sure how they accomplish that without a new actor or unused footage, but becoming one with the Force is a good backup plan...maybe they could just use archival dialog in that instance...

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah and even though she wasn't trained in the Force they could explain her merging with the Force by way of her being Luke's twin or her grandfather being the Force itself or some other type of hocus pocus. They could easily handwave it away I think.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To me though Carrie is tied to close to the character for anyone else to play Leia.

cathiecat likes this.
  14. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    The Last Jedi Tie-In Novel Teases Leia’s Fate Ahead Of Star Wars: Episode IX

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Seems cheap to me, an easy and quick solution and not something that I can imagine will sit well with a lot of people. All of a sudden Force-users have this great power but if they use it, it will kill them.....where have I seen that before.:confused:

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought Leia looked pretty rough even after she awoke from her coma, she's leaning on her cane a lot in the third act. I actually like the idea that The Force was able to keep her alive for a very special reason, to see her brother one last time, and then having her succumb to her unsuited space excursion would actually make her actions in the film much more dramatically powerful.

11-4D and civilsecret like this.
  17. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm getting into this. As long as episode IX makes Leia the center the way Luke was. And I think this is really ideal

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Beyond anti-climactic, beyond stupid.

KSennia likes this.
  19. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I've always been preferential to the idea that, since Luke died from projecting himself across the universe, the ultimate way Leia could sacrifice herself would have been to been somehow involved in trying to save her son. Let her be responsible for bridging communication between Ben and Rey. Her greatest Force powers were always sensory and emotional. Luke might have freaked out at Rey's intimacy with Ben, but we know that Leia still was having wistful hopes for grandchildren when she wanted someone to pass down her mother's gowns to (Poe comics). Leia would react very positively to Ben being saved through love and it would thus be in character for her.

That would be a twist that both negates Snoke's claim (which already fell apart given the connection started before he knew about the equal being Rey, not Luke, as well as it continuing well after his death) and would probably throw Ben for a massive emotional loop (in a good way) if he learned of that combined with his mother's death (he couldn't kill her and intended to save her).

Leia had a Force bond with her son from the time he was in the womb (she was connected to him and felt his distress at Snoke's intrusion). This would allow her to be instrumental in his salvation while also writing her out in a poetic, emotionally satisfying way that matches what she wanted most. Like Han, her story was about desperately wanting to mend her broken family. Making her instrumental in that makes her sacrifice match that of both Han and Luke's. It also makes her death a sacrifice, not succumbing to anything.

Perhaps not, though, because another spoiler has it suggested that Leia only learns of a secret Luke shares with her when they meet on Crait; this is combined with Luke suggesting he's not the one who can save Ben (he's suggesting Rey). The secret is presumably what Luke walked in on in the hut. This would make sense why the story group is feeding stuff like Leia hoping for grandchildren into the comics.

The only other way her death could be instrumental to the saving of Ben Solo would be if Hux kills her and Ben fully unleashes on the First Order.

Though I suspect with the Hux revelation of him thinking of cameras in the elevator (also in the novelization) that Ben and Rey are both going to have a really inconvenient outing, possibly public, which would echo Leia's Bloodline revelation where she was publicly destroyed by Ransolm Casterfo. It's not just Ben who has everything to lose in the First Order, but if Leia is already dead when this comes out, Rey will have nobody to protect her from the radical Resistance. We've already been shown that Poe and Rose are not anything like the old Rebellion. Compare Rose stunning Finn for desertion with Rieekan giving Han his blessing when he announces he's leaving. Han was himself a deserter again to the Resistance when he went back to smuggling, lest we forget. Poe, in particular, is likely to blow his top if he learns Rey has been having intimate interactions with Kylo Ren. Leia is the only one would have tried to protect Rey and perhaps even defend her son, especially if Rey were to tell about him killing Snoke. The others are too black & white. Finn would take it hard, too. They'd see it as treason. Rey could potentially see a fallout without Leia around that wouldn't be much better than the one everyone assumes will be happening between Ben and the First Order when Hux stages his coup.

Another way the Hux-killing-Leia idea could happen is if Hux does it precisely in retribution for Ben's betrayal and it could be the very start of his coup that gets Ben's attention in a confrontation before the rest of the revelations are broadcast. Kylo Ren being outed to the public as the secret identity of Ben Solo (not allowed to be spoken of by Snoke's orders) would be another way Hux could damage both him to the rest of the First Order (the traitorous son of Resistance scum), as well as Leia Organa. This could potentially also cause massive problems within the Resistance if they don't already know. This is also where the mask becomes meaningful. Resistance personnel like Poe (who was born into the Rebellion and is old enough) might remember Ben as a child, but wouldn't know what was under Kylo's mask. Another way this could be outed is if Rey slips and refers to Kylo as Ben (as she has a habit now of doing) and someone is there to put two and two together. Although not known as well as it is for Rey, Finn might have some inkling of Kylo's relation to Han, given he was there when he was killed and would have heard "Ben!" shouted. He might be the one to fill in the blanks if Rey slips on "Ben" that Kylo Ren is the lost Solo son.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    oncafar likes this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Hux killing Leia and Kylo killing Hux seems like a popular theory and maybe they'll go in that direction but it seems a little too straight forward and expected to me. Maybe Leia will merge with the Force and then she'll somehow convince Ben that Hux killed her so that her son will turn on Hux and create a schism in the First Order. Or maybe Leia will merge with the Force and Kylo will assume incorrectly that was killed by Hux.

Or how about this? Leia is the one that tells Hux that Kylo killed Snoke.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  21. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    It's probably already been suggested in this thread, but Leia could simply lose the will the live. Maybe that's a hereditary condition she got from Padme. It would be a nice (aka "stupid") way to rhyme Episode 9 with Episode 3.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Will never happen. It's the dumbest, most out of character ending possible.

MattOrgana and oncafar like this.
  23. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Bite your tongue. That would be the worst. I could see JJ contemplating it. Double ew. Leia would never do what Padme did. Never

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Nothing in JJ's filmography gives me the impression that he would contemplate killing Leia off in the lamest way imaginable.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't really mind Leia dying from complications of being blasted into space after her final and ultimately fatal encounter with her son. It does add to the family tragedy of it all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.