main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ways TLJ Builds/Fails to Build Anticipation for Ep. 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by scuiggefest, Jan 8, 2018.

1. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Yes, this thread contains dozens of variations on that theme.

In that case he definitely falls, because we've been given very nearly nothing.

@C Creepio I 100% agree with what you've just said.

Okay, now that we've had a chance to talk about the sequel hook that I consider most effective, I'd like to bring up the sequel hook that I consider least effective. This one was such a dud, that here on the boards it seems that super-fans and detractors alike have dismissed it as a pointless mcguffin

I am referring, of course, to Hux's "string". He tells Snoke he has the resistance tied on the end of a string. Cut to Finn's face, waking up in the medbay. When we come back to the subject, we miss what Hux told Snoke. All we know is that Snoke is very pleased: "Tied on a string indeed! Well done!"

Why is the movie being coy at this point? To me, there are 2 main possibilities: the writers were tossing random ideas on the screen for no reason, or it's meant to tease a plot point from IX. There's not much to say about the first possibility, but what if it's the second? Does anyone actually think this sequel hook was effective? It seems like quite the failure either way..

C Creepio likes this.
  2. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    Wait I thought the string comment was referring to the hyperspace tracker?

3. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    Correct. TLJ leaves the hyperspace tracker unexplained, presumably to be addressed in the sequel.

ETA: I avoided calling it "hyperspace tracker" because that was a name Rose made up. The movie deliberately avoids revealing how Hux actually found them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Darth Mikey likes this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It was. And it's not spelled out what exactly Hux is referring to because to do so would spell out the ambush that's about to hit the Resistance before it hits. The hyperspace tracker is not a hook for episode 9.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Eeyore freak, 11-4D, TK327 and 3 others like this.
  5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Oh god, two pages of “If the string referred to hyperspace tracking the film should have said so. Wouldnit have hurt for Hux to clarify that by “string” he actually means “hyperspace tracking”. I guess RJ didn’t think it through”

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    What I don't understand is this - I get that people might miss something in the film (or any film). That happens all the time and is perfectly normal. But the normal response, when shown one's misunderstanding, is to take the new info onboard, acknowledge it and move on from the complaint with one's new enlightenment. Here, people seem impervious to clarification. As if the correct understanding of any given moment then weakens the attack, so the correction has to be dismissed or denied, even when the correction is clearly the right answer and does make sense, whereas the wrong answer makes no sense and of course feeds a complaint.

TK327, redxavier and CEB like this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think, that overall, it’s the result of having multiple threads in which a community of people with issues with the film can discuss amongst themselves without any expectation of being constructive, the impact of which is exaggerated massively by the film being divisive. People don’t just have their own issues, they’re adopting other people’s issues too, whether it was an issue that bothered them or not. These attitudes fester in the “cave” type threads, and have developed a sense of common cause amongst people who hated it, leading them to think that they’re the “real fans”
    I totally get why the cave threads exist, and I think they’re too firmly established as places here now for them to be shut down, but I think that they are a hindrance to actual discussion of the film, because they really have created a “tribal” element where mind changing is not respected and seen as a sign of weakness.

KembaSkywalker, Nate787 and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I imagine with hyperspace tracking, it'll be an issue for TLJ and TLJ only - with the idea being that Rose or someone else has created some kind of baffle tech to counteract it. Unless they want to keep that threat as a constant. But I think it's served its purpose now.

scuiggefest, Qui-Riv-Brid and CEB like this.
  9. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    You know what? After TLJ, you're probably right. Hated TFA and TLJ. FYI I used to manage the CT forums. Had lots of fun and was passionate about doing it. And was a fan of the PT. I don't share the care or any sort of like factor for these new films at all.

MS1 likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Are you saying you will see IX or you won’t? Cos my point was, I think everyone posting on this forum will be seeing IX

11. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    That will be a negative. Nor will I see the Solo movie. All garbage at this point.

ChildOfWinds and CEB like this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    *adds your name to list*

13. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    So what I've gathered here, is everyone is pretty like minded and any other thought of discussion is unwanted, correct?

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Not at all, not liking the films is totally understandable. I just don’t buy that anyone who is still annoyed six weeks later, and is a member of a Star Wars online community, is going to not see the upcoming films. Me “adding your name to the list” was referring to a list of people who are steadfast in their assertion that they’re done. I’ll just be intrigued to see, when IX is released, how many people whonsaid they’re no longer the audience will still go, then complain the film didn’t cater to them

15. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Oh that's cool. yeah add me lol. I just don't check back to this site often since it is so PC that it bans the term [MODified: Disallowed Word] from film discussion. Free speech much?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018
    CEB and MS1 like this.
  16. Random Ax of Kindness

Random Ax of Kindness Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2018
    Since this isn’t the complaints thread, I’ll attempt to be somewhat even-handed here.

Good hook: Seems to set up internecine conflict between Hux and KR. Empire, I mean First Order, civil war would be interesting.

Bad hook: The Resistance is down to 15 people. Even with a massive time skip (on the order of years, not months), any scenario in which the Resistance prevails is going to seem more than a little implausible...not to mention the fact that a Resistance victory will necessarily feel hollow since we know it can all be obliterated after only a few years.

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Using that term here is not allowed. Knowingly using that term here is certainly not allowed. Trying to derail the thread into a discussion of how overly "PC" the boards are is also not allowed.

If you want "free speech", feel free to start a blog. This is not a human rights issue--we are posting to a fansite for a space adventure series. You should already be aware of this basic distinction, so at this point I can only conclude that you're trolling. That we have standards of discourse here doesn't mean that you aren't still free to say whatever you like however you like elsewhere.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I suspect it'll get maybe a line saying they can cloak and no more tracking is possible.

Satipo likes this.
  19. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    Of course he thought it through. If Hux really used "new tech" to track them, then there's no hook for IX. If he used something else, like a spy, or a beacon, then there is. The "new tech" angle makes no sense, so it obviously must be a hook for IX.

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Oh god, you’re serious aren’t you?
    The “string” was hyperspace tracking. You might have noticed that it was the driving force of the entire plot.

KembaSkywalker and Satipo like this.
  21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    My God.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Back and forth before we get told by him and several others that hey, it’s just his opinion and it’s equally as valid as the actual truth.

23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Kasdan was wrong apparently.

The audience clearly does need things specifically spelled out to them, like the prequels.

Nate787 likes this.
  24. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Good posting here.

I don't think it will be addressed. Like most other things it'll be ignored or forgotten. "it wasn't necessary to Ep9" will be the reason and people will just accept it to make the story work for them, even though it'll be another mistep.

MS1 likes this.
  25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It’s a plot point that already played into a film and was resolved. Honestly, this is such basic misunderstanding that I’m not surprised you didn’t understand some of the film.
    This is so bizarre that it must be trolling.

KembaSkywalker likes this.