main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will fan backlash affect development of IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @WebLurker within the past couple days facebook shutdown a fan page that was setting up a RT bomb raid for Black Panther (and that page claimed they bombed TLJ as well). It had 5,000 people as a part of it already and if allowed to continue would have likely gotten much larger by the time the movie came out. So yes they have pretty good proof now RT raids went on. Collider even had a discussion about it on their movie talk episode.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay then.

The Internet does seem to bring out the worst in people.

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Be it as it may, but the marketing for IX and the narrative around it will be interesting to see.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. The exact same noise was happening after TFA - although it was probably milder as some of the jury was still waiting to see what would happen with Luke and Rey's lineage in TLJ. But there was nothing for the haters to pin their hats on bar - every true fan knows the critics were paid and it's nothing but a terrible re-hash!

CEB likes this.
  5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    =D=

Same goes for praise, "I want this, don't want that", etc. Handful of people posting over and over again on various sites and social media thinking they can manipulate the content of the upcoming movie by creating illusion of big numbers (support, demand, hate, etc). Studios know it's all bogus. Internet is not the reflection of GA and movies are made for GA. Studios have their own methods of gauging GA satisfaction and that ain't spying on Internet forums or taking Internet polls seriously (since they are for fun only and are notoriously rigged by robo voting).

Bottom line is, no matter how many times one posts the same thing over and over, whether under the same User ID or various sock accounts, they are not going to influence the next movie's content.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    oncafar, Satipo, Star war and 2 others like this.
  6. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    And yet clearly they've made the ST specifically due to moaning and groaning about the PT's 'failings.' The love bit was a failing, Jar Jar was a failing, don't care for anyone else's gripes about fakeness in environments or characters, if you wanna blow Earth's resources so you can indulge in a fantasy, that's your problem. George actually had a vision, I can't say the same of the current Trilogy.

7. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    No, ST was made because they wanted to milk the cash cow. :cool:

Also, if they'd wanted ST to be a total fan service, they would have done the safest thing ever which is have the OT trio reunite for some serious ass kickage. Did not happen.

Bottom line is, fans do not dictate how the story is going to be written. They may think they can but what really happens is that some fans are simply better at reading the story and therefore guessing correctly where it's going. That's different from being fan serviced. Nobody wrote the story for them, they just guessed what the story was going to be. Others didn't so some of them now demand that the story is changed according to their demand. That's not going to happen. It's really simple. Studios don't play favorites. You either pay attention and figure out the story and make peace with what's gonna happen or end up bitter because the story was the opposite of what you wanted and you wasted 2 years shouting your demands on all social media channels only to see them completely (and rightfully) ignored.

8. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Truer words, man....They definitely milked SOMETHING. Ugh, I'll never be able to unsee that!!!

That's very true.....Certainly not possible now.

I imagine, though, George invented Jar Jar to be the PT's Chewie, but seeing how unreceptive people were, he practically phased him out of the PT. The people behind the ST is another story. So, perhaps the problem is that GL is no longer behind SW right now. I guess after TLJ, it's finally starting to sink in and I'm going about appreciating the Legends content and deciding what, for me, is the TRUE SW story.

Head canons are funny that way. :p

9. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Ah, the milking joke will never grow old. ;)

I was too young to remember Jar Jar backlash but based on what I've heard it was a pop cultural phenomenon, late night punchline, pretty much such level of cross media and GA embarrassment that went on for years so that GL had no choice but to cut him short. TLJ complaints are nothing out of ordinary and certainly nowhere the level of cultural movement that Jar Jar backlash created.

Satipo likes this.
  10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    of course they don't owe us fans anything, but this goes 2 ways. I don't owe them anything as well and can spend all my money on other things than Star Wars.

Darth Smurf and MasterPrince713 like this.
  11. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    The thing is, for every disgruntled had core fan who is threatening to walk away with their cash never to return because their headcanon was not fulfilled, there are 2 or 3 new fans AND their kids happily there to fill the void.

Satipo, Akane, oncafar and 2 others like this.
  12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I think that's true and hard to remember. There are other franchises where I, like some of the TLJ critics, think the new directions ruined the franchise, the ship should be set on course, and that the majority (or at least a sizable percent) of the fanbase agree with my position. I'm sure that your model is right irregardless of what it feels like, so I do have some sympathy for the TLJ haters, the "Bring Back Legends" movement, and other such subgroups; I'm in that camp when it comes to Spider-Man or Star Trek and know what it's like to see something you love morph into something you don't and to be one of a few people saying "this sucks" while the rest of the world is saying: "You're nuts, this is awesome." However, where I draw the line is where people become jerks over their preferences, which I find to be inexcusable.

Satipo likes this.
  13. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I'm not trying to be. I can admit to being aggressive regarding SW but my father passed a year before TLJ and I remember going to see Ep. III with him, my parents are divorced, long story; so to see them reduce it to the TLJ is very personal and offensive to me.

And others telling me to shut up and or walk away only serves to anger me further.

cut-of-space likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm getting to be that way with Walking Dead (though in that case it doesn't seem like I am one of the few that think that way in regards to the tv show because the live ratings for it have dropped from 17m at the beginning of season 7 to just over 7m halfway through season 8).

Still like the comic though (though it does tend to move along at a snails pace at times) so I can always switch my focus to that in regards to the TWD universe.

@MasterPrince713 sorry to hear that but there does come a point to where people need to see that it is just a movie. If the movie/movies stop being something you enjoy than it is time to find some past time that does bring you happiness instead of raging about something you don't like.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And I bet you have the statistical proof for that. :rolleyes:
    As far as I heard, toy sales aren't doing so well this time.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Toy sales are down all around. Kids don't play with action figures nearly as much anymore. That's what video games are for these days.

Satipo likes this.
  17. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I am not simply raging, TLJ I didn't like, TFA and RO I liked just fine. Whatever happens in IX, makes whether VIII is tolerable or not.

And give some time for the TLJ, Jar Jar circulated for the 3 years before AOTC came out, meanwhile they're trying to dish out a SW movie 1 per year. Let's see how long they can make it.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Considering all three movies have made over a billion they will be making these movies for a very long time. The MCU has released 18 movies and only four of them have crossed the billion dollar mark.

Satipo likes this.
  19. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Yeah, but two of those movies they'd been working on for quite a bit meanwhile TLJ had barely started filming passed TFA's release.

20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    This. Children are now more into phones, tablets and games rather than toys. It's simply a change of entertainment that toy companies will have to adjust to eventually. It's like video rental business went out of service thanks to online downloads, pay-per-view, etc. You can watch movies on your phone, so you don't need a rental.

Moreover, another part of toy sales drop is Toys'R'Us bankruptcy which resulted in companies shipping less toys than they used to.

Point is, pinning the sales drop only on the movie being less popular than its predecessor(s) is not the real picture of what's going on in the toy market. So for everyone hoping that Disney would retcon _________ in IX in order to boost toy sales, lol. That's not how the Force/business works. Sales wouldn't go up cause they don't depend on headcanon X replacing canon.

I mean, sure, it's anyone's right to spend 2 more years of pinning idle hopes on that "JJ will fix it" but if anything could be learned from past 2 years of fandom discourse it's that LF doesn't write movies according to fandom X or Y demands. They have their own story to tell so best is to try to read TLJ as objectively and accurately as possible to understand where IX is going (hint: not in the direction of pretending that TLJ never happened and changing everything).

Satipo, NileQT87 and WebLurker like this.
  21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    It would be terrible if some franchise lost my tiny drop in the lake financial contribution... But if my demands are not met... !!!!!!!!

22. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That video is basically a guy vlogging about an article on a Disney fansite that has republished speculation from the Wall Street Journal. IOW, it's third-hand speculation and is basically worthless.

PymParticles and Satipo like this.
  24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I think the only people who buy action figures these days are the older fans I bought a few LEGO and Funko sets the past 12 months of various ST and R1 sets.

In all seriousness though kids have other things these days like video games as well as access to as much streaming visual entertainment a person could ever want. Not that toys have been abandoned altogether it’s just that free time for children nowadays are not dominated by toys - it’s split between that, gaming and watching YouTube/Netflix and of course outdoor activities which have always been a staple.

It’s also laughable to blame TLJ for a failing industry. It came about 1.5 month ago and so the effects of TLJ on toy sales wouldn’t be seen in total until potentially this time next year.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The whole idea is already useless to begin with. Of course toy sales would be higher around the release of TFA. Not only was Toys'R'Us still around - as mentioned above - but it was the grand return of the franchise, one of the most hyped events ever seen. How could anyone seriously expect sales to stay at that level for years on end?

And yes, trying to judge the influence on toy sales of a movie that was released just a short time ago leads nowhere at all. There aren't any numbers around this shortly after a release.

Not that toy sales have anything to do with whether there are new fans or not. How would it even be possible to judge who exactly bought the toys?

There was no noticeable difference in terms of original schedule when it came to these movies. The only obvious difference was that TLJ had a perfect production run without any issues.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.