main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Correct-there's no reason to undo what Rian did. But I think JJ will take what Rian did and patch it together with his own IX to make those unexpected plots work and connect.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    I'm not expecting anything from anyone, no one owes me anything, I'm aware that money is part of what makes the world go around.

Stating it makes no sense from a certain point of view, just like bringing Mark Hamill back as Luke and setting him up in TFA just to be content with what was done to him 'makes no sense.'

If you get TLJ from the first viewing or after thinking long and hard about it, right on, good for you, but for others, it is not so.

Where does it say JJ likes TLJ? I'm honestly curious. Mark had his issues and he was shouted down and forced to conform, let's see what JJ does with TLJ before we assume anything. I've recently learned not to take anything other celebrities say at face value.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  3. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    JJ did say that TLJ script was so good he wish he had written it.

4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ode-VIII-script-good-wishes-make-himself.html

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Ah, the old "I selective pick what people said and pretend that everything that contradicts my view was forced upon them" argument. Still as useless an argument as it was the first time someone tried to use it.

Mark Hamill was not "shouted down". Maybe you should take at his actual comments, taken as a whole, with context, instead of selectively picking random sentences and pretending that everything that goes against that came purely because he was forced to say it. Pretending that such a thing is the case is intellectually dishonest and an insult towards Mark Hamill.

JJ Abrams made such a statement, and he not only made it "to be nice", he made it because it was his opinion. There is a huge difference between someone being courteous when asked about something and said person going out of his way to heap praise onto something. Abrams did the latter.

6. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    ^^So basically JJ Abrams aspires to write like Rian Johnson, so he will therefore make IX more like TLJ than TFA because he loved TLJ so much. Not good news for people who didn't like TLJ.

(maybe...lol ;) )

kalzeth, MasterPrince713 and Star war like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    To be honest, I think JJ Abrams aspires to write like anyone other than JJ Abrams. He's never been accused of being the most original of filmmakers.

Darth_Bertie and Star war like this.
  8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd say Abrams will stick to what he knows works for him. Being thrilled by what someone else has come up with doesn't mean that he will change his approach to the next movie. I definatly expect the movie to feel more like an Abrams movie and not like Abrams trying to match what Johnson had done. You wouldn't want to have a filmmaker try to be someone else ;)

If one hopes for Abrams to overturn what TLJ did, that can only lead to disappointment though. He probably will give his own twist to things, and some things should "improve" for those who didn't like TLJ based on IX giving an ending to all ongoing storylines. Not to mention that the movie will probably be uplifting in tone due to being the end of the trilogy. But it isn't going to set a completly different path.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Abrams is smart enough to know that a war between directors would be the worst thing to happen, and KK knows it too... RJ could make Darth Binks the protagonist of the movie, and Abrams would still say it's the best idea since the invention of the wheel...

10. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    And even more selective, childish condescension....Honestly. Defending RJ's point of view isn't what this thread is about. But if you wanna indulge yourself by getting others riled up, I'll leave it to the moderators....

Mark Hamill Interviews Reveal 'The Last Jedi' Was Not His Vision Of ...

Mark Hamill actually did state he didn't agree with what RJ did with Luke but he conveniently changed his opinion later on. JJ obviously understood. He was about to state his opinion against it again but KK cut him off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rian-johsnon&usg=AOvVaw2UMZnIJpRWQupBpsKjrchR

RJ teased a new lightsaber color but he didn't follow through, what else is that but a lie?

That moment where Luke tossed the lightsaber was meant for comedy. Period.

.....He is, but RJ just rose a proverbial middle finger to certain people of the audience expecting TFA to have actually set up plot points and his works. I really don't think KK cares what her directors do so long as they slap SW into the title.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's nonsense, read what was written above. JJ Abrams didn't just give a random complementary comment when asked about the movie, he went out of his way to state how ecstatic he was about the script. Absolutely no one does so out of his own volition unless he actually means it.

Again, further cherry-picking of Hamill's statements, ignoring of facts and insults towards others. What else is new...

The end is nothing but your opinion, not based on anything that actually exists. You also pretend to know what other people think and actively insult them by questioning their own interests, which is rather hilarious.

12. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    "There's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars" (Steven Spielberg)

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  13. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Hmm, but where's the line, I wonder.

'Nonsense.' And 'cherry-picking.' Wow. And you wanna talk about 'ignoring of facts and insults towards others'? I noticed you have nothing to say about the RJ Lightsaber color tease.

Also, 'actively insult them by questioning their own interests.' What precisely do you call what you were doing earlier?

And to think I actually let you rile me up, before.

You're right, it is hilarious.

14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Actually, I posted a link to JJ praising TLJ script almost two years before the movie came out and that link has been flat out ignored after being demanded.

Which says a lot, really.

15. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Wait, really?

[​IMG]

The article where the actor who didn't even return for the sequel for a character who inexplicably vanishes or is killed offscreen speaks for JJ and relayed all the 'honest emotion' from him in those sentences?

[​IMG]

Right, right. What am I thinking?

I read it, but it's clear nothing I say will be taken at face value or change your mind. What does THAT say, I wonder?

This isn't the thread to debate about that, anyway. I simply stated my hopes, I was called absurd for it and I tried to defend my position. You wanna argue otherwise, you can take it to the TLJ complaint thread. I'm not here to complain, I'm honestly looking for ANY silver lining, it is not absurd to hope for otherwise.

I liked TFA, I loved R1, I'm not gonna walk away simply because of TLJ, even though it disappointed me.

JJ coming back gives me hope that Ep. IX will take itself seriously, but fans fighting tooth and nail and doing proverbial backflips to defend the TLJ isn't encouraging toward how he styles writing Ep. IX. There was too much humor in the movie; one of my friends who couldn't care less about SW said it had too much comedy.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Addendum

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...about-the-last-jedi-according-to-rian-johnson

http://collider.com/why-jj-abrams-is-directing-star-wars-9/#images

The bold is my emphasis but I think it gives insight into JJ's mind and why he's seemingly been on board with Rian's decisions. Bringing back the old characters was likely always in service to the new ones in his mind. He killed Han to establish Kylo Ren's credentials as a villain. He kept Luke out of TFA so the new characters could firmly establish themselves. I think this is further backed up by the following.

http://www.scified.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-reportedly-reference-star-wars-prequel-trilogy

I honestly don't think JJ is going to resurrect Luke or retcon the revelations of TLJ. I think he's going to use them to try and push forward, take the Saga in a new direction. If anything I feel the criticisms of TFA (Too similar to ANH) will also push JJ to avoid redoing things from other Star Wars films. It's one of the major reasons I doubt Kylo Ren's redemption even though RJ said it was possible. I could see Kylo Imprisoned by films end and given a chance to re-read the Jedi Texts while incarcerated, leave his decision of whether or not to abandon the darkness unseen by the audience. It would leave Kylo as the complex Villain of the Saga while still leaving the door open for a redemption even if it's one the audience never sees.

Looking at his words, I think RJ inspired JJ to take risks, to avoid just repeating the past...or clinging too tightly to old characters. All things have their seasons, and ultimately this trilogy is about the new characters.

TK327 likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yet if that is the case then the moves with Rey and Ren are even more baffling.

There is no tension to their "rivalry" nothing to go forward from. Rey is an idealized hero that has no struggles and is pure power that can't be beat. Ren is a loser who had one spot of competence because his boss turned out to be a blithering idiot who somehow beat Luke which makes Luke look even worse.

There are literally no actual stakes for the characters. JJ will have to start from scratch.

kalzeth and MasterPrince713 like this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Clearly, JJ dosen't see it that way. For one, Rey was completely tossed about like a rag doll by Snoke during the Snoke scene. The movie also makes it clear that her victory on SKB was due more to Kylo allowing his emotions to ruin him than any skill or power she possessed. With Kylo, we see that he is very powerful and skilled but his anger is clearly his greatest weakness. With Rey her desire for family cost her dearly. Now, she's got no one to teach her and Kylo Ren (despite his failures in the end) still has an entire organization at his beck and call plus the Knight's of Ren.

Honestly there's a fair number of options on the table for JJ on how to grow and challenge Rey in the final film. We shall see what he does.

TK327 likes this.
  19. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    ...Not according to RJ. RJ stated that the lightsaber toss was "because I couldn't see any other possible reaction from him that would make sense."

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  20. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Yes, yes, RJ stated he simply HAD to know exactly what transpired after Rey and Luke met. And for what? Comedy, space cows, '3' lessons meant to prove why the Jedi sucked and Rey-KR skype calls.

kalzeth and MrElculver2424 like this.
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    For Rey's growth. Luke's lessons, especially his final example, do seem to help her. She tried to follow in his footsteps, redeem her enemy....and it blew up in her face. Yet she sensed what Luke did in the end, surpassing the legend she'd heard about and giving her just a hint of how far she still has to go in her self mastery. She's not going to save the day by repeating what has been done before, all our heroes (Poe, Rose, Finn and Rey) had that lesson brutally shoved into their face by films end. However they can LEARN from the past and their own mistakes to make a better future.

civilsecret, MrElculver2424 and TK327 like this.
  22. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Right and you got that message, when, the second time you saw? The third? If you have to reach and reach and reach, and actively look for lessons and references to come up with an answer and the director has to come back to explain things, that's not good storytelling.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    First time, if you must know

People asking questions isn't proof of bad storytelling. People asked JJ about Rey's parents, if Finn was force sensitive etc after TFA dropped. People actually LOOKING into a film and contemplating what this could mean isn't proof of bad Storytelling either. Blade Runner and Blade runner 2049 are two of my favorite movies and both have been debated and the directors questioned about their choices when it came to designing their films. In fact TLJ and TFA have concept art books that were released that contain a LOT of the same answers the directors have publicly given.

This film is meant to generate debate, for things to be ambiguous, for lessons to be gleaned from what is seen and said in film. If you don't like it, that's fine, not everyone is interested in the same things when it comes to movies.

civilsecret and TK327 like this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think I'm going to love ep 9. On a technical point of view, I really loved TFA, I think it was brilliantly made.
    In addition, RJ forces JJ to move in an unexplored territory, after TLJ. So it might be both original and technically amazing, and also purified by the weird tone choices of TLJ, as well as by its self awareness, that are less in JJ style IMO. I'm super optimistic.

25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well back at you. Where does Mark ever say he was "forced to conform?" I submit that unless you have proof, that's BS. Mark expressed his initial reactions and process, and an angry segment of fandom twisted his words to suit their own agenda. Mark DID say he regretted expressing his thoughts, and that the film is all time great one.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.