main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    B...bu...but lone wolves and they’re not terrorists...

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Netflix's Seven Seconds is sure to spark a conversation.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe of interest

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Last night Grey's Anatomy was so emotional and the clip below was probably the saddest part of the show as it has Miranda teach her son how to react if he's ever stopped by the cops to he doesn't get shot.

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    So, I was on the Fishbowl Radio Network yesterday, and the host was telling me these odd stories of how people were racist toward him. For example, there have been people at events he's attended who will introduce him to an black woman simply because both of them are black, and even more bizarrely, he once attended a wedding, and this couple showed them a mixed-ethnicity child. Like, what? The point is there are some really strange people here in the South. It goes to show why I prefer to hang out with more enlightened people.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    John Mellencamp takes the knee on Colbert:

Towards the last little bit of the video.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Half Irish and about a quarter German. A quarter who-the-hell-knows-but-I’m-not-spitting-into-a-tube-to-find-out.

On to 2024.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    @Gamiel I do appreciate the links to all these cool articles. I love NPR, thanks!

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Because ethnicity and nationality are social constructs that are not based in genetics. There's no such thing as an "Italian" gene. It's an educated guess at best. I hated having to explain this to family about 23andMe. :p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've always wondered about that . So what methods do they use to define Asian or Irish or whatever in these tests ?

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I guess destroying property and causing bodily harm isn’t rioting, if you’re happy and/or white... [face_plain]

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's based on genetic testing of current populations in those countries. So it tells you mostly about your family's recent history, which is obviously of interest to Americans since almost all of our families came from somewhere else in the last few hundred years. In the UK, genetic studies actually showed that people whose families were not recent immigrants to the UK had in fact mostly stayed in the same counties for hundreds of years, which is pretty remarkable. There are segments of DNA that mutate over time and those markers are associated with populations in those regions alone. I'm getting those results from a British company soon for my own British part of my heritage.

But obviously a lot of populations in different countries are genetically really similar going back hundreds of years. For instance, my dad was confused that one of the categories on his 23andMe was "French and German". He knew he had recent German family, but didn't get the French part... So I had to explain to him that, in spite of recent history of conflict, the French and Germans are genetically basically just one group.

My family has done the old fashioned kind of geneology in a deep way for years, so for me the genetic part just confirmed things I knew mostly, but it did bring up one really interesting thing: they estimate I had a 100% West African great grandparent born between 1730-1850.

The implications of that are pretty clear, and the only other possibility is that one "Delaware Indian", so described in our records, was actually probably part black and lying about her heritage (I have zero Native American DNA).

Anyway, I think when you look at these heritage tests as rough estimates and use them to explore history through the eyes of your family, it can be a positive thing. But obviously some people try to use them to justify racial purity, which is a dangerous myth anyway.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe adopted by the Delaware Indians?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    My father had an ancestress who survived the Trail of Tears, and my mother's Native American ancestor lived as far back as the days of colonial New York. DNA is an interesting thing. We have no West African ancestry, but we had a surprising amount of Dutch and Arabic way back there. Otherwise, our ancestry is mainly British, Irish, and German.

I'm dating an Apache with partial West African ancestry. Her ancestry is Lipan Apache mostly. She has an Hispanic surname, of course. I love her for how positive, wise, kind, and gorgeous she is, and frankly, she's ten years older than me. I got tired of dating people five years younger than me, you could say. Ha ha. I named myself after an opponent of stupidity, and now I'm dating one.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    On a totally unrelated note, I recalled something really weird. I met this guy in North Dallas in 2016 who was a total racist idiot. He worked as a road man for a theater company. He basically said that his boss wouldn't promote him because his boss was a Mexican. This fool complained that the Hispanic boss believed he, the racist nitwit, liked Donald Trump. Like, who would believe that? The boss didn't promote him because he was often late to work.

So, when that police shooting occurred in Dallas, as you can imagine, I saw this imbecile using the n-word. This dude was 41, and all he could get was as 19-year-old girl who owned his butt. It was kinda hilarious. He was practically her wife because she was the brains of the operation. They were together for a year until she kicked him out, and then he called her psycho. To be fair, she was pretty weird in many respects with her tastes and flaws, but I just found that whole situation amusing. Her brain level was way over his.

Lesson in racism for the day...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Racism is an anti-intellectual exercise, yet another form of devolution, I would say.

The joke among some sources was that the so-called white race was finished by the 20th century. And I say, "Enjoy it!" People are people, and there is no point in being ethnocentric.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I was going to bring that up. I couldn't believe the hypocrisy of it especially seeing the cops there. The footage from Philadelphia has to be saved. I never want to hear about property damage ever again

starfish, Rew, Vaderize03 and 7 others like this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I have been told by two women, who are founding an organization for young adult activists, that hate crimes against black minorities and lgbtq people have gone up recently. I had feared as much during the beginning of last year. The things that youth and the oppressed in general have had to face under this administration’s culture trouble me. I think education among my generation is improving as far as lgbtq rights are concerned. With racism, there’s always an excuse in the Deep South/MidWest for the “old ways.” It’s lethal group think, and I hate it mostly because it’s embarassinng for any society. Plus, many of my fellow alumnae feel that they cannot raise children easily in this climate. I’ve been to people’s places outside of my school district, and I feel I their pain. Society is offering up too many effed up values. I agree with my tattoo artist friend who wants humanitarianism to become popular somehow, someway.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006