main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Island: A "Luke in TLJ" Teeth Gnashers Perspective (see warning on page 9 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by -LordSkywalker-, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Didn’t you say you’re not watching IX?

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, won't watch it in cinema and I stand by this. This does not hinder me to say what I expect the filmmakers will do in IX.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    To a word, over these last few weeks I've found myself agreeing with @ChildOfWinds, @nightangel and @LordSkywalker, among others. It's so incredibly sad that this film has given me such negative emotions about something I have loved for 40 years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    We can agree to disagree.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Luke Skywalker is the heart of the saga. He's the spirit. His beliefs turned Han into from a selfish smuggler into a hero. He proved his father was still a good person, and in doing so, saved the galaxy. While other characters may be faves, Luke is the very heart of the story. If you're going to give the story a heart attack, you had better be a precision surgeon in expediting it's recovery. Unfortunately, I don't think they saved the patient.

6. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Eloquently put.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    a perfect abstraction and exactly explains the situation.

8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Well on a serious note, then, you might as well move on from Star Wars. Why keep interest in a story that you have no interest in/connection to? ;)

9. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I still have the Lucas saga and the old legends EU. I might give a Kenobi movie with Ewan a chance, but that was it. No need to drive me away if I don't follow the ST. [face_dunno]

10. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    The simplest way I can attempt to explain it is that the ST looks designed to be single, overly-entertaining movies for a more general audience. Throwing a ton of stuff in without a full effort to make everything connect and mean something. And with that, they risk telling a story that longtime fans can't connect to as easily. I feel where you're coming from.

nightangel likes this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    In addition to what was done to Luke that I cannot forgive. I became a fan of Star Wars because of Luke's character that I first saw with ROTJ. It was my first Star Wars movie in cinema and in reality my first movie in cinema at all. Luke gave me just so much hope in difficult times. TLJ did exactly the opposite and left me desperate and disillusioned. :(

12. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I grew up with the prequels, so I have my own view on everything, but obviously love Luke as the saga's hero, too.
    Still, even with the Luke of TLJ, I think it's possible to still have him inspire hope in difficult times. He did make a big sacrifice to keep the light alive. At the darkest hour, he didn't let the light die, he kept the flame going, however small. That's a message I think can still be interpreted positively.

TK327 likes this.
  13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I can accept your different view, but Luke was not heroic in TLJ for me after trying to kill his nephew in his sleep and doing a fake distraction for a handful of rebels to escape. Sorry this was not enough to redeem him after running away like a coward for years from the mess he created. :rolleyes:

14. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I don't mean it was "enough" to redeem your view of him, but I'm just saying that act in the end was something positive. To deny that is to deny reality. I've said before, sitting there and letting all the rebels die vs. realizing he was wrong and doing something to keep the hope alive are two very different things. I personally do find hope and peace in his final act alone.

TK327 likes this.
  15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    then he died and I was left desperate when I left cinema. I don't care for Rey, Finn, Poe or Kylo. That's where I am now. Luke's character was destroyed, without offering any sympathetic new characters. It was just a shame what they did.

ChildOfWinds and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  16. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I just have to insist that it's still possible to love Luke.

People make mistakes in life. Some people make big mistakes, for a long long time. And then realize that in the end when they're older and do something to make up for it, however small. It might not undo the past, but it does mean something. This isn't about liking what "they" did with Luke or liking the new generation characters...I'm just looking purely at Luke himself. I still love him and I'll insist that all others can, too...if they look at that fact alone.

17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    This was not a young Luke making a mistake, it was the Jedi master Luke, who should be wise. Nope, I cannot forgive them for this and can only ignore this whole trilogy as a high budget fanfiction.

MS1, ChildOfWinds and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  18. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Well I'm not leaving yet because I think you're wrong on this. LOL

Obi-Wan was a Master too at the height of his powers. Yoda too. Mace Windu. But they all allowed a conflicted and confused Anakin Skywalker to turn against them and help take down them all. They should've been wise enough to stop that way before it got out of hand. But they didn't. They failed, terribly. Failures. Losers.

Again, I'm not talking about "them" as in Disney/Lucasfilm/RJ. I'm saying you can still love Luke. Why hate Luke when Luke didn't get to write TLJ? He messed up, made mistakes, but kept the light alive in the end.

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    whatever, it was not what I expected with the positive ending of ROTJ and the old EU books. Luke was the heart of Star Wars. I don't care for the new characters and none of them is doing anything for me after now 2 movies. That's just how it is now. Luke left without bonding to Rey, who is a nobody that I don't care about. Finn is a comedy relief like 3-Po, Poe is a bad Han Solo copy and Kylo an emo Vader wannabe. So nope, nothing for me in these new stories sadly. :(

20. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    For the final time, I'm not talking about anyone/anything else going forward. I'm saying you don't have to hate Luke, because what he did kept any hope alive.

If he would've sat there and let everyone die, my view of him would be cemented as "Wow, what a ****. Terrible man."

But he didn't. He apologized for messing up and made a sacrifice to keep the light alive. The difference between that and above is clear as day.

21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    doesn't change it that I don't care for anyone in IX who is still alive. Luke is dead and I have noone else to follow. So the ST is dead for me. The Lucas saga still exists of course.

22. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I give up. lol. ;)
    I'm not talking about IX or any other characters. I'm talking about Luke, who is still my hero and I believe can still be yours too.

23. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Rian never should've written Luke the way he did. Yeah Obi-Wan and Yoda may have failed, but they didn't wallow in self-pity even when the odds were far worse against them. Luke ran away before the galaxy ended up in another civil war. Luke had time and the opportunity to fix his mistakes, instead he decided to just take a "woe is me" attitude and one that the Jedi should end. Which begs the question of why he would even try to emulate the same order instead of moving it forward with new ideologies. He proved that one isn't lost forever, so what made him decide to end Ben before he did anything and then not even try to rectify that mistake? I don't think it was a wise choice to decimate everything Luke tried to build and now have Rey be the one to re-build everything when she had far less training than him. Okay she has the books and will be self-taught, that's pretty terrible in my opinion.

24. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Yoda: "Into exile, I must go. Failed, I have." ....... "I cannot train him."

Only after that and a lot of bugging, did Yoda even agree to try again to bring down the Empire.

I'd argue that perhaps the biggest problem with the writing of Luke is that he refused to even help Rey because he didn't have enough self-confidence.

Plus, I do not think Rey is going to rebuild the Jedi...at least not the Jedi that we've always known.

25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, super Rey will establish the new kind of Jedi, something Luke was supposed to do. While Luke did no leave any impact and his whole backstory was destroyed. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.