main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2018 Winter Word Race: TEAM EDITION - First Mini-game up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am a bad influence.

Mistress_Renata and Kahara like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Finally re-typed and put up my roleplaying post, wandered off to look at the Awards update, came here, and then thought, hang on, I need to do a word count!

537 words for my roleplay post.

Edit: Make that 637. Added a drabble to redress an issue with Clara Oswald.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Kahara, Findswoman , Chyntuck and 4 others like this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have so many projects to work on this month, and so little time to actually sit down and type! But, over the last few days I have managed to write and post 2,979 words for Team Pentasweets! So there's that. :D [face_love]

(And, question from a word race newbie: do we only tally our word count totals after we post, or do we count as we go from our word docs? [face_thinking])

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Sith-I-5 and 3 others like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Mira_Jade - I think we tally from Wordcounter.net

Word and similar programs cannot seem to agree on word counts, so someone somewhere decided that wordcounter.net was a central place that everyone could get their tallies from.

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I managed only a few hundred words today because I watched the news, after which I needed several hours to recover, I spent time with my grandmother and nephews and I did some gardening (seed trays for my morning glories, succulent transplants etc) because spring is coming soon [face_dancing] But I reserved my Sunday morning for writing, so I'll be back with a vengeance tomorrow.

@Mira_Jade We count everthing we *write*, not only what we post. So if you draft a super-long fic during this month but don't post any of it for now because it needs editing, you should still count those words.

Kahara, Findswoman and Mira_Jade like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Just count as you go from your word docs :)

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Awesome, that's just what I wanted to know. Thanks guys!

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck, Sith-I-5 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I need to like everybody's posts, but I'm lazy. :p

So, yeah, gonna write for a bit more and then, hopefully, actually, submit something.

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    About to go to bed after 1817 words. :)

Finished the chapter 15 of my epic... now if only I could flesh out the ideas for chapters 12, 14, 16 and 17. :rolleyes: 18 is a bloody mess and too long, it might need to be split. :p

Kahara, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Good thing, too, because I don't post 'til the first draft is done and I'm barely started. 519 for today, with a huge gap between scene 1 and what is probably scene 7.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Doctor Who update got to 249 words before I stopped for a fruitless search for fictional ship dimensions, and a late night shopping trip and snack.

My tally before sleep, at 922.

12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    My tally for the last two days is 1129 words.

Chyntuck, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For Pentasweets, my tally from today and yesterday is 611 words. :)

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    1150 more words from me for the Pentasweets over the weekend. I was hoping to write more, but word count matters not :p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    951 for me today for Team Pentasweet. I did a lot of rearranging and shuffling of existing parts, too, but the numbers are new stuff added. This story is fighting me.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The Goats from U.N.C.L.E. strike back on my behalf, with 2672 words! :)

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I challenged myself to do 1000 words today and don’t know how I did it, but I made it! Today’s total is 1096 words. A drabble, working on two of my long fics and jotting ideas for a one-shot. And best of all, that troublesome scene is really starting to take shape. I feel,great for having pushed myself a little bit today, and I’ve been putting some of the advice I got in the Writer’s Desk in practice— turning off that inner critic and not working in a strictly linear fashion.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Even though the Pentasweets are still in the lead with 10 739, the Goats are quickly gaining at 8965!

Just a reminder to please post what team your count is for (just makes things easier when I'm scrolling though with 2 different calculators going) and, if you can, bold or colour your word counts.

Currently in the "pot" up for grabs is 1983 (and somehow, none of that was for anything I had planned to write... thanks Mav :p). First mini-game below!

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Alright. Here’s the first mini-game. It is rather simple for this week (given that your game hosts and some of your fellow participants are still doing awards stuff). All mini-games - team orientated ones and individual one - are completely optional. If you feel that your time is better spent working on current projects, then it is totally fine to sit out. Heck, if no one on your team want to do it, that is fine too. Just remember, the reward is the word counts of two people, something that might be a great advantage given there are 5 people to a team.

Anyways, your mini-challenge for this week is a simple word incorporation - it will be the only individual mini-game. Here is a list of 200 SAT words. Whoever can incorporate the most into a single story post (it can either be a chapter update or a one shot - but please don’t use them as drabble prompts, they have to be in the actual prose of the story) posted by 11:59 PST, February 11 wins for their team. Word tenses can be changed.

Please bold the use of each word and give a count both of the words used from the list and total words.

Good luck!

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So I don't have to count them individually, is it 200 up to the green See More banner, or do I have to go beyond that to see the rest?

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Man, this brings back memories! My 9th grade English teacher gave us lists like this and drilled us on every one. I can't tell if "Hersey" is supposed to be "hearsay" or "heresy." Either way, it's spelled wrong.

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Now fitting those words in a story is going to be an interesting challenge :D
    Other than conjugating verbs, is it okay to transform the words? e.g. turn an adjective into an adverb or a noun into an adjective, etc.

Edit: @Sith-I-5 I just copied the list to a Word document. You have to click "see more" to get 200 (actually 199).

Kahara and Sith-I-5 like this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For Persistent Pentasweets, my current word count is 270. This was for plotting and an RP post.

Kahara, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mini Game?

Took me 366 words just to coerce a character into saying the first SAT offering!

Kahara, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, 199 or 200? Is one missing or something?

Kahara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.