main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Implying GOT doesn't have some of the most iconic female characters of the 21st century.

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Well sure, but to his defense the production was rushed and generally just a mess. His heart was not in those movies.

Avnar likes this.
  3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly. They aren’t doing a trilogy, they’re essentially going to serve as showrunners moving forward.

Yora likes this.
  4. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

*blocks your enthusiasm*

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well this was unexpected, but not unappreciated. I really love Game of Thrones, so I'm excited to see what this turns out to be. A shame @Gigoran Monk isn't here to share in the excitement. A few thoughts/predictions:
    • If they simply announced "Johnson is writing/directing a film set outside the saga" or "Benioff and Weiss are writing/producing a film set outside the saga" and then followed those individual films up with more movies, instead of announcing an entire trilogy or series right out of the gate, there'd be way less complaining online about oversaturation/overkill/milking the cow until the udders shrivel up and fall off.

• Curious that this was announced as a "series" of films and not a trilogy. How many are planned? Two? Four? Five? Are they just playing it by ear?

• Between this and the recently announced Johnson trilogy, and considering we still have yet hear official confirmation re: the Obi-Wan movie the trades all reported was in early development last August, or the Boba Fett movie Trank was fired from nearly three years ago now, I'm willing to bet that the "Star Wars Story" spin-offs are dead. I also don't think we're going to see Episodes X-XII in the Skywalker Saga anytime soon, possibly ever. There's no way there's room on the docket for all of these, unless we either A) start seeing more than two years between films in a trilogy, or B) start seeing more than one film a year. I'd be okay with the former, uncomfortable with the latter. That's when even I would start to worry about flooding the market.

• Assuming they stick with one a year like they have so far, I think 2020 is going to be a breather year for Star Wars where Lucasfilm only releases Indiana Jones 5, and 2021 is when we start to see these two new sets of films released in alternating years, like they've done with the ST and spin-offs so far.

• Johnson's trilogy is going to be set in the future (he seems more interested in moving the series forward than exploring the past) and the Benioff/Weiss series is going to be set in the distant past (the two have a ton of experience with integrating deep-lore and world building into a story). Part of me feels weird making this snap judgement call, since it feels reductive to assume Rian "Looper" Johnson will take the more sci-fi route and Benioff/Weiss will go the GoT fantasy direction, but... it also feels right and matches the skill sets of each. It also pushes Star Wars in two different directions, each emphasizing one half of "space fantasy.

• Celebration 2019 is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

6. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I love ASOIF (I mean the novels) and in all honesty I liked a lot, really a lot GOT.
    I know that many readers complain about it, but I really think they've made the right
    choices for a TV serie.... until the season 6 finale, that I consider the best thing I've ever seen on tv.
    That was a masterpiece. I love how every single storyline led to it.
    Brilliant job, really.
    But... season 7 - to me - was... crap.
    Real crap.

So I don't know... I hope they're going to use some "legends" material to make it canon.
    I think they're good on that....

That said... I don't see any ep. X coming in the next 20 years.
    And I'm ok with that.

I hope more than anything that ep. IX will be the last of the Skywalker Saga without any "open" ending.
    I hope it will be more than good and above all that it will give us an strong sense of closure...

Then... anything goes.
    Some will like it, others won't.
    But that's fair

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Can you imagine if they made the first R-rated Star Wars trilogy perhaps for adults?!

I love sharing the Saga films with larger general audiences, including younger audiences, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't ever imagined what an R-rated Star Wars type of film could be like and geeked out a little.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    We're totally going to see Krayt Dragons return!

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Old Republic would be cool.

10. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Dorne was horrible, I don't disagree. But every long-running TV show I have watched has usually had one plot-line that was less than stellar. There was Dorne stuff in the books, so they tried to do it and it really sucked. Yeah, they aren't perfect. That being said, I've found the show to be enjoyable far more often than not.

The treatment of women thing is an open argument. If you assume the show is set in the middle ages, well, women were treated pretty horribly in the middle ages. I think it is pretty safe to assume that you won't see that stuff in Star Wars.

2Cleva and TX-20 like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No R rated Star Wars movies please. They should be always for families

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'll never understand the idea of overkill or saturation as it relates to my own personal love of Star Wars. For box office performance? Likely. However, that's their "issue." For me... so long as the quality is good and the content is exciting and enjoyable and moving... Well, I'll happily take more!

I remember at one point prior to the re-invigoration of Lucasfilm through Kennedy thinking to myself, "Damn, I really wish George would just make more content in this world. This world is too huge and too fun to not keep making more films." I wanted him to open it up to other filmmakers if he wasn't keen and that's exactly what happened and now we're getting all sorts of fun stuff.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    My..brain..can't ..seem..to..proce

[​IMG]

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Of course the skywalker saga ends at 9. All the skywalkers are dead. Ben Solo is kind of a skywalker but not really. (He has Han's last name, and Leia still went by Organa.). Regardless, this news means he's probably toast by 9's credits, so what point would there be in a skywalker film without a skywalker

Makes sense they're moving on. I have a feeling they're desperate to dump the PT-ST era of films after Solo. "Let the past die" seems to be the mantra at Lucasfilm now.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This makes me think we will not see an episode 10 which makes me happy.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It could be possible that Benioff/Weiss do a series set in the far future, using elements of “present day” Star Wars as ancient myth...

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For now.

18. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Well, that tends to happen when you try to stretch out a 300 page children's book into 3 feature-length movies. Unlike LOTR, which was an amazing artistic endeavor (IMO) that brought one of the defining pieces of 20th century literature to life on the screen , The Hobbit films were a giant cash grab.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just think 9 should be the end of that story.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    they shouldn't restrict the non-episodic episodes with the original focus of Star Wars and George Lucas. Keep the episodic films family friendly, but don't be afraid to experiment with the anthologies and new series.

Palp_Faction and dekaneas like this.
  21. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Heck they can just do Alderaan circa Old Republic times. Already got Houses to compete for the throne, and the Killicks can be the whitewalkerish things....

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Oh for sure. He had to force an entire middle chapter as well, it was originally just supposed to be two movies. Hell they could have done it in one.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea.

Me too. This is good news on that front. I am looking forward to the day when it's not white guys driving these things every time. Hopefully we'll get more diversity on the directing front.

24. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    poo-pooing has already started but who cares? This is a huge win for SW assuming they get certain level of creative liberty. They have fantastic sense of epic scale, casting for GoT is spot on and while characters are Martin's work, they did an excellent job with adaptation. All negative spins will fail. Major coup for SW. Major. ^:)^

Now, please, get SW movies that aren't the Saga out of OT era.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Reminder that this was foreshadowed by John Williams back in 2002.

@ 2:54

Grey Matter, 11-4D and Gobi-1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.