main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly Season 5 was pretty terrible all-around imo (and the Sansa stuff was garbage). And Season 7 wasn't that great either.

The problem with the women thing is that I feel like a lot of the time they don't have the right tone for it, and they use it as a cheap crutch to try and get "DRAAMMMA."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't even know how E9 will end.
    Give it 10 years or so and someone will want to do E10.
    Anything else at this point is premature.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope you’re right about that.

I could deal with several Brienne-type characters but without the in-universe focus on her appearance and finding her a “suitor.”

4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Star Wars, now with sexposition.

All kidding aside, I love Game of Thrones and I'm excited at the prospect of these guys working on a series of Star Wars flicks.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Damn. I'm really starting to worry about SW oversaturation

But considering how thoroughly unimpressed I am with these two, I can't say I really look forward to whatever they're writing. Probably will see it anyways, but eh

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmmmmmm... I'm thinking this spells the death knell for Rian's trilogy.

7. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Well, the books have multiple situations where characters mock her appearance, so I probably wouldn't hang that one on the TV show creators.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    My thinking currently is that I want as many Star Wars films as possible as long as the quality is exceptional. I'm a big fan of TFA, RO, TLJ, and Solo looks really good, so keep them coming.

Yora and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  9. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Me too. I feel that new movies, all of them, lack world building and scale and that's something GoT absolutely excels at. D&D are perfect for the job. Bravo, KK! (now please don't fire them! [face_praying])

Palp_Faction likes this.
  10. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011

[BREAKING NEW GROUND INTENSIFIES]

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yes. Women get treated poorly in game of thrones. You know who else does? The men. And the children. And the dogs. And the horses. And the dragons.

The world of GoT is a terrible place that's awful to everyone. There's not a single character that's had things go super well and not terrible for them. Abuse. Torture. Dismemberment. Death. No one has escaped it. It's a bit silly to claim just women have got it bad in that universe.

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    As cool as this is I really wish that they were the minds behind a new HBO-style Star Wars TV series though to be perfectly honest. TV is so good now and Game of Thrones is a perfect example of TV moving to a new high of special effects and stakes.

Multi-season TV shows allow for incredible character arcs that develop over years.

Maybe just getting them into the Star Wars family is the first step and then Kennedy will be able to lock them down on a series after that?

Kathleen Kennedy is amazing to me. I don't care what anyone says. They won't change my mind about her leadership so far. George made a great choice with her and I'm glad she accepted and never seems to stop seeking out more and more talent and is willing to start over when she doesn't like what she sees.

[​IMG]

13. Gabr Saab

Gabr Saab Jedi Knight

Jun 1, 2017
    Interesting that it's a series and not specifically a trilogy. A new saga? A series of anthology films?

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Gwendoline & Emilia must have been constantly talking about how great working on their Star Wars films was on the set of GoT.

B & B: "Hey Kathy, do you like awesome action and creepy family reunions?"
    Kathy: "You know we do!"

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamma626 like this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, no it certainly doesn't.

They announce a new series of movies and specifically mention that these aren't part fo the Skywalker-saga or of the new trilogy Johnson is developing. It doesn't get more obvious that the Johnson-trilogy isn't going anywhere.

This isn't something they could have come up with in a bunch of weeks. Making it all but guaranteed that they started discussing this way before TLJ even came out.

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's how it's portrayed that's the problem. They just lack the subtlety or nuance to make it work most of the time. And they flat-out invent new situations like that for the show that aren't even in the books (coughSansacough).

Lomesa likes this.
  17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well it would be odd if the didn't mention Rian's trilogy in the announcement... But within the next few months I reckon Rian's trilogy will be quietly "parked" and he and LFL will part company.

lavjoricso and Trikuza23 like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Not really at all actually. In the press release they mention Rians trilogy.

19. Jabba'sFirstCousin72

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2017
    I must say I disagree it with wholeheartedly: the treatment of women in GOT is the consequence of the medieval ethic and settings - which definitely is not a place and time where women were treated with respect to say at least. I doubt it has anything to do with the producers and the writer of the original books George Martin and their treatment of women in their lives.

And I agree those series are not everyone. But to each their own.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Sorry, where is this implied? Criticizing D&D's treatment of the story's women characters =/= denying the cultural impact of these characters (that actually Martin created and did the bulk of development for).

Yes, this is the typical argument u always hear in response to feminist criticism of GoT. Again, I disagree and I think the problems are rooted in something much more than "its the middle ages that's how it was." I think on a fundamental level their writing show an alarming trend towards extremely gratuitous violence and rape towards its female characters, trends that weren't in the books (debatable, but not to the same extent for sure). While I'm sure you're right nothing like this will show up in a directly similar form in SW, I don't trust D&D's treatment of these characters and see little reason to assume the underlying writing and views on women will somehow change going into SW.

21. Lomesa

Lomesa Jedi Knight star 2

May 13, 2016
    Ironically, they don't reflect the treatment of women during the middle ages accurately at all. Even Martin got some pretty major stuff wrong. I've seen and read B&W make the same argument for their treatment of women... And it just doesn't make sense, considering its fantasy and deviates from other aspects of medieval life anyway. Why would they bring up accuracy as an excuse when they didn't bother being accurate in other aspects that didn't suit them? When they're doing it simply for shock value. And I'm pretty certain they'll continue doing what has proven to work for them in their other projects too.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And there is absolutely nothing that backs this up in any way.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Johnson's trilogy. It takes more than just a few days to plan things through and get it to the point where you can announce it. The chances that this wasn't already under way before TLJ was released are slim to none. Meaning that they had always planned to have this as well as Johnson's new trilogy.

The only thing that this hints at, is that there probably won't be any more Skywalker-saga movies in the near future after IX is out.

my kind of scum and Yora like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  24. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    So you're telling me a company swimming in cash can plan more than one thing at a time?

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My guess is we will not see a new main film if at all until 2030

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.