main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, Mitchell is very good. Everyone knew he'd be good defensively, but no one knew he'd bring this much on offense. That's why he slipped as much as he did in the draft, people thought he was mostly just a defender.

My worthless award picks at the moment.

MVP - James Harden

Difficult to decide because so many players, including Harden, have been injured and missed at least a few games. But Harden (last time I looked) is leading in PER, offensive win shares, total win shares, win shares per 48, and total box plus/minus, along with the more traditional stat of ppg. He's carried the Rockets while CP has been out. Honorable mentions to Jimmy B and LMA.

Defensive Player of the Year - Andre Drummond. This is not merely a homer pick, he's leading in defensive rating, defensive win shares and defensive box plus/minus, the latter by a wide margin. Believe it, he deserves some credit.

Sixth Man - Lou Williams. Sweet Lou is just putting up crazy performances that no other player coming off the bench has come close to. Honorable mention to Marcus Smart, who has been the engine of that Boston team.

Most Improved - Victor Oladipo. Pretty clear, he's turning into a legitimate star.

Rookie of the Year - Jayson Tatum. I think he's the best rookie and he's a major contributor on the best team in the east. I don't count Ben Simmons as a rookie, but even if I did, I'd still give it to Tatum.

Runjedirun and Chromide like this.
  2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I believe it re: Drummond, only have watched him vs. the Cavs but came across this the other day and thought it was dope.

Also cool to see Russ pushing back on critics of his defense, Giannis being a boss, Kyrie covered up mostly by Dame, and LeBron where he is without even being in zero-dark-23 mode yet!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So this happened:

Watching Dell Curry clapping as Kemba Walker broke his franchise record was...well, it felt like witnessing history.

It’s been a good day overall for the Hornets. Treveon Graham proved himself to be grossly underrated, Nic and Josh Jackson both played really well, and the Hornets overcame a 21-point deficit.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Give him to us :(

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I was pretty excited about the dunk contest. Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Larry Nance Jr and Dennis Smith.

But looks like Gordon is injured again, like he was last year. He was great a couple years ago against LaVine, but you can't enter a dunk contest with a lower body injury.

Oladipo has been good before, he's in the best shape of his life, and I think he really wants to be a star.

Nance's dad was a great dunker (won the first ever dunk contest, beating out an older Dr J) and Jr can jump, too.

Smith was easily the most explosive player in the last draft, hope his knees are fully recovered.

Also, no big, 280 pound guys. Guys like Drummond and DJ have a hard time doing fancy dunks because they're so damn big. I think the only heavy guys who have ever been worth a damn in the dunk contest have been Dwight, Blake and Javale. Kemp was pretty good back in the day, but he wasn't that heavy, it was before his 80 pound weight gain due to cocaine withdrawal. And lets forget all of Birdman's 113 attempts.

Speaking of Kemp, do you guys remember MTV's Rock n Jock basketball?

[​IMG]

Yes, that's Queen Latifah stealing the ball and getting a lay up on Kemp. I came across this the other day and it came flooding back. Must have been glorious for her, and soooo embarrassing for him.

Remember the bonus shots?
    [​IMG]
    I think the top one was worth 50 points. They also had 10 pointers from deep three point land, Steph would have killed those.

Guidman likes this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Rock n Jock games were amazing back in the day, the softball one was good too. In the very last basketball one they did, Gary Payton hit like 5 of the 50 point shots.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This was thirty years ago:

[​IMG]

I feel old.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That's when the dunk contest meant something. I mean, seriously. Jordan wanted to show up Spud and Dominique. I love watching Jordan and Dominique going after each other. Their rivalry and intensity came through the TV. Nowadays, there isn't that spirit or level of competition. That's why I think they should just have the contestants from "The Dunk King" perform at the All Star Game as these guys do have a sincere rivalry and intense competition as it's a way to make a living, and thus they really practice and innovate.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm just gonna proactively start the "Bezos will buy the Cavs and is going to move them to Seattle" rumors.

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I was just thinking that it might be reasonable to think of this Minnesota team as the second best team in franchise history, behind the KG/Spree/Cassell team that won 58 games and made it to the WCF. No other Minnesota team has won more than 51 games or made it out of the first round. This might be the most talented team they've ever had. If they can make it out of the first round, I think that's enough to seal it as the second best team in franchise history.

Runjedirun and LloydChristmas like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This isn't fun

12. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    lmao, embarrassing. Hopefully a wakeup to anyone who wanted to blame Kevin for anything.

Meanwhile trade deadline in like a day and still have the Bklyn pick. Dan seems content to both A) not use it to give LeBron anymore firepower this year and B) lose him again. What a miserable owner (know you're shelling out cash but PROVE ME WRONG DAN).

The flip side is this (and even last year!) all feels greedy, I only ever wanted *A* championship and we got it and it was one of my favorite days of life on earth. Should we have more is KD a backstabber did Kyrie watch too many Ancient Aliens episodes blah blah sure but none of that is gonna sully those 7 games in June 2016.

Plus LeBron could still go Super Saiyan! That could still be awesome! I'll shut up now!

DarthIntegral likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I don’t blame Gilbert one bit for not trading the pick. LeBron hasn’t committed to anything beyond this season, why lose a great rebuilding piece for yet another overpaid ‘star’ just to help LeBron out when he could (and probably will) walk? Not to mention the fact I doubt there’s anyone really game changing they could get.

Keep the pick, let LeBron and the rest of his franchise crippling wage bill buddies walk, and start fresh.

Also is IT still playing injured or did he just look better under the Celtics system?

In other news, Bull lose to the Kings. LaVine looked alright. That one felt good.

Sucks for KP :(

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean. @LloydChristmas is spot on about the one incredibly important thing. Getting the one title was all that mattered. That it happened in such dramatic, unforgettable fashion made it all that much sweeter. Nothing really tarnishes it.

And I don't blame Gilbert for not trading the pick. But I do blame him for just about everything else. For letting Chris Grant walk in a power struggle and because he was unwilling to pay him market rate, after Grant was the architect behind the championship winning team. For being power hungry and wanting to make the decisions himself, rather than trusting his basketball people.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Porzingis torn ACL

[​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Cleveland is a dumpster fire right now

But at least we're not the Knicks

We're not the Knicks!

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Holy **** Team LeBron-- John Wall, Boogie, Love, Porzingis...maybe it's all black magic leading to KD getting mono right around the playoffs!

And yeah, I get Dan having an eye toward the future and not wanting to pull an Antawn Jamison again just to see Bron leave. You can’t excuse Dan’s role in that even being a conversation tho— fired Griff in the middle of PG-13 talks, which caused Kyrie to look at one too many Instagram Illuminati posts and want out, etc.

Also I think if you have even a chance to keep the greatest player of all time, while he's still capable of dragging your dad’s team from the Y to the Finals, you pony up a likely-not-Top-5 rebuilding piece— god knows a dozen other franchises pull that trigger right now. But I’m biased as a fan and haven’t made a billion dollars loan-sharking people so hey, maybe my risk-assessment isn’t as good.

BACK TO WATCHING THE LAST 3 MINUTES OF GAME 7 ON REPEAT

DarthTunick and tom like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Horrible news about Porzingis.

Cavs fans you still have 3-1.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    warriors looking pretty beatable as well at the moment. it's a long season. i think the cavs need to make a trade to thin their herd of wings almost more than anything. just too many players who all fill a similar role, if they can give up a few as well as the pick and bring in a stud they will benefit not only from whoever the new guy is but from the guys who are left being more solid in their roles and getting more consistent minutes. we'll know by tomorrow i guess.

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw the Porzingis injury happen last night. There was a kid in his jersey sitting right under the basket where it happened on the court. Poor kid. I say that despite being a lifelong NBA fan who's never been closer than 15 rows back and my dad got us those tickets back when I was in high school.

Just finished watching the OKC/Warriors game cause 10:30 is an hour after my bedtime. So who is OKC? And the Warriors have lost 3 of 4. Unfortunately, for me that ship will most likely right after the All Star break.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Dubs on paper didn't match up well with the Thunder in the sense that the Dubs are 4th in the league with like committing 17 turnovers per game and the Thunder is number one in steals, creating turnovers and points off turnovers. Moreover, the Dubs couldn't get defensive rebounds and therefore the Thunder got alot of second chance points as Addams was a beast in the paint. Speaking of the paint, IIRC, the Thunder outscored the Dubs in the paint like 40 points or something crazy like that.

Gotta give major big ups to PG-13's step 3 on KD. That was awesome.

Yeah, I think the Warriors are gassed out right now and are having a difficult time to match their opponents' intensity night-in and night-out.

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That team... what's left of it... seriously need to consider going into a hoodoo shop and buying a spellbreaker kit. If I were LeBron, I'd be sprinkling chalkdust across the locker room doorway.

I was watching the 76ers maul the Wizards and they cut over to the Porzingis injury. What a loss. Not just for the Knicks but the game. Seriously, a night when the Eagles offensive line were on the court to open the game and we put on a 3-pt clinic and the whole thing managed to deflate at the Unicorn news.

24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What's 100% most annoying about the Thunder, especially Westbrook. Every time I see them on a national TV the commentators go on and on about Westbrook bringing it every night. Yea, he seems to, but I have seen him bring nothing to DC three times. Every time I get to go to a Thunder game it's like Westbrook doesn't even want to be there and doesn't show that energy he shows at 75 other games a year. Adams has been a beast with rebounds and points in the paint all season, that's nothing new. I love the Kiwi! Also thank goodness they didn't start Ferguson last night. I want the kid to be good, but he hasn't been. I mean he's from Tulsa, what's not to like :p Hopefully though Grant continues to play like last night. That'd be nice.

Also I hope the Knicks give Ntilikina more minutes. I like to watch him. He hesitates too much and I'm not sure if he's going to survive in the league, but I'm pulling for him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Knicks...enjoy the J. O’B. He did well for us against Atlanta.

I need to hear more about this guy:

Willy Hernangomez