main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    :confused:

Jedi Ben and Ulicus like this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Literally for the past year or two talk of having a Game of Thrones style of show in Star Wars has been all over the place.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Fanservice isn't art. I'll leave it at that.

Ulicus likes this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t know, all I see is a handful of folks simply expressing general skepticism and disappointment about the news. Is that really ‘nerd rage’?

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Nerd Rage might have been a bit of a strong word to use. And maybe part of the disappointment is the fact that this is the lit section where some folks prefer reading as opposed to watching something. But I can say in this past couple seasons of Rebels discussions whenever the Mandalorians were brought up in the tv section people would go on and on about how cool it seemed because it was almost like Game of Thrones.

starfish likes this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I do understand that sometimes too much negativity can be irritating

DarkEagle and Duguay like this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    As one of the optimists you're mocking here (you know, the ones whose optimism was proven justified by yesterday's trailer?), I think it's funny that you're doing exactly what you (correctly) accused Ender of. Anyone who thinks there's a chance Solo might turn out okay is a Polyanna preaching "Trust Disney"? There doesn't seem to be much middle ground allowed for you, either.

For the record, there is no change of heart with me. I've honestly never heard of these guys, I've never watched GOT (and never wanted to based on what I've heard about it), and even if I did I wouldn't care less. I'm just thrilled for even more Star Wars and I look forward to seeing what they bring to the table.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    fans of the game of thrones books are having a sook about how these two have adapted the last few seasons its not there fault that george is a lazy prick who cant finish his own books. they have done well with the material and are highly rated for a reason

kalzeth and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I actually think the show has gotten better since they past the point of the books. The show has really picked up the pace a lot now that they are on their own,

I can understand how some who have read the books would think the show was second rate. However you never could/and never should expect a tv show to be as deep as a thousand page book series is.

10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I thought it was cool because it was somewhat like ASOIAF in regards to the House and Clan structure (although Legends Mandalore had the same similarities), not GOT. If it was like GOT, Sabine and Bo-Katarn would have either died or been raped at some point, because D&D don't know how to write female characters who don't suffer that.

The longer I think about this, the more upset I am getting. I don't want those guys making SW.

I don't want the guys who thought having Ramsey rape Sansa was a good plot and somehow empowering while ignoring her great plot in the Vale.

I don't want the guys who killed Ros, a show exclusive character, in what seemed like the middle of her character arc in a horrific manner.

I don't want the guys who turned Dorne, which was home to strong female characters of all sort of stripes, into one of the worst plots on the show by making all the female characters immoral murderers and kinslayers (seriously screw those guys for what they did to the Sand Snakes, but especially for what they did to Ellaria Sand) while completely cutting one of my favorite POV characters.

I don't want the guys who made Stannis kill his own daughter while in the books he ordered his men to put her on the throne should anything happen to him.

I don't want the guys who wrote the completely incoherent Winterfell plot of Season 7 between Sansa and Arya.

I don't want the guys who thought making a show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War and slavery still existing in modern America (although, news flash D&D, slavery does still exist in this country!) a good idea.

I have lost a lot of faith in everyone in charge of SW who thought it was a good idea for them to join the franchise. I'm disappointed in Kathleen Kennedy. I'm disappointed in Pablo. After being so happy about the trailer yesterday, I'm just disappointed in SW right now.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @The_Forgotten_Jedi I can understand you feeling this way. However you need to remember what time period GoT is supposed to represent. That kind of behavior wasn't all that out of the ordinary for the middle ages. I have never read the books but I have had people say the books are even more explicit than the show. What I personally can say about the books is they give you a very detailed description of what Danerys body looks like when they are introducing her (and she is younger in the books than she is in the show). I read the first few chapters of the first book.

And about the idea they pitched about the South winning the Civil War. That is an idea that a lot of people have wondered about and it would get a lot of initial attention because of it.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I know nothing about Game of Thrones (heh), or these filmmakers, so all I can say is that the lack of diversity in Star Wars writing and directing is staggering and disappointing.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, as somebody who does have an explicitly negative opinion about this, I can't really say there's a change of heart with me either. It's entirely possible to feel optimistic about some things and upset about other things.

starfish and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  14. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Like everyone else in this thread I also believe that the work these guys did on GoT is 100% predictive of what we can expect from their work on Star Wars.

I remember fearing that Rian Johnson’s SW would be nothing but Looper in space and boy was I right. And I’ll never forget all the lens flares in TFA because that’s literally all JJ Abrams knows how to do.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    That's true. It did happen in history. And awful stuff like that happens in the books. But they did it to female characters in ways that completely derailed their plots. They butchered amazing characters and turned them into one-dimensional villains. GRRM, for all his faults, handled that sort of stuff far better than they did IMO.

In regards the Confederate AU show, I live in Oklahoma. I've met people who have wondered a lot about what the country would be like if the Confederacy won. And I don't want those people to have a TV show they could point at and say "that's awesome, that's what I wanted!". Those people have been feeling too good about the state of this country lately as it stands.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well it probably just comes down to the fact that you prefer the books. Most people who have read a book version of a story and watched a tv/movie version of a story prefer the book version because books can always add more depth. But we really shouldn't hold that against anybody. The books are about a thousand pages long each. We in no way should expect the tv show to have the same amount of depth as that book series does.

And I live in Kansas so in basically the same part of the country as you. You may have had some bad experiences with some rednecks but there are also a lot of regular people that would be curious about the story they could come up with regarding the South winning the Civil War.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I would rather a person of color tackle a story about the South winning the Civil War, tbh.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    If they have as good of qualifications as the guys who did Game of Thrones than sure.

19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Maybe they'll do a series set in an alternate history where the Separatists won the Clone War. [face_plain]

Xammer, kalzeth, nancipants and 4 others like this.
  20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    It... really does not come down to the amount of depth. At all. I know books have more. Butchering basic characterization isn't a depth problem. It is a ***** writing problem.

And I guess a show about an AU Confederate America could interesting in the right hands. But in a time when Neo-Nazis and Confederates are feeling more empowered than they have in decades, that is not the type of show anyone should be considering.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here; I wouldn't mind an "adult" Star Wars story. Not like we'll ever get it but I'd like it! Most people seem to want Star Wars to match the storytelling of the previous films. I get it, obviously. But I'm not here for the old stories. I love the OT. But at the end of the day those films will still be on my shelf no matter how the current stories go. So I want the new stories to be radically different. All in all the universe is absolutely what's keeping me here. I want different stories in that universe. Wildly different. The ST's stories are just too similar.

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I hope it isn't on the level of GoT when it comes to adult content. Star wars would lose some of its spirit if human/alien breasts or dongs (and sex scenes) were visibly shown.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ah, thanks for that.

Oh yes, indeed. I don't have any concern about that.

I am more concerned about confusing plotting and twists with little build up for the sake of twists

Pretty much.

As much as nerds on the internet can have huge freak outs I am more used to people treating general and mild skepticism and disappointment as frothing at the mouth rage.

I especially got this a lot back in the old days because, since I like to cover all possibilities when I wrote, I wrote very long posts that others took as emotionally charged, even if I was mostly bored writing them. (Personally, when I get mad, I don't post - if I write a lot, it is generally because I am intrigued)

Uhhhh....ummmmm....didn't they say in an interview that...wait, should I say this, does that count as a spoiler...wait, does it count as a spoiler to wonder if something is a spoiler, even though the thing has been on the net for a while now....

As an aside, one thing that bugs me about how audiences to react to movies and tv shows is acting like all the credit goes to one person, or two people in this case, even though movies are very much team efforts.

In particular, no matter what one thinks of the series overall, I think most people can agree that the show owes a lot to its strong cast of good actors, amazing set, costume, and prop design, and music.

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    A lot of their choices in the last three seasons of the show are fairly...bizarre. On some level I can maybe understand undermining Stannis Baratheon so that Jon Snow could take up certain elements of his storyline in order to streamline the whole thing. I don't like it, but I can somewhat get the mentality behind it.

What's baffling to me is how they handled the Martell storyline, which was entirely a last minute choice on their behalf and something that probably shouldn't have been touched at all. Likewise, the late introduction of Euron Greyjoy and the subsequent characterisation was....just odd.

I don't know, I don't think I trust their storytelling sensibilities.