main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Game of Thrones Creators to [no longer] Write and Produce a New Series of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I've actually never seen an episode of GOT or read the books, so I don't really know what to expect.

revan772 likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    All I can say with some certainty.

Is that some of you guys are hard work.

It’s not gonna be a R18 SW show. The producers have made the kind of decisions to streamline the GoT story that they made with real history in the Tudors and nobody got up in their faces about that. GoT and Troy and Wolverine are very different works thematically and so will their SW work.

However...

If it turns out KK has bowed to fan pressure to pick these GoT producers, we’re in more trouble than anything that Del Rey ever did. I mean, someone listening to us is the worst thing they could do.

I mean, look at this damn thread. The speculation could have killed someone with a lesser constitution just reading it.

Do you want us to have a huge influence on the direction of the Saga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They adapted Martins books really well but as shown in the last 2 seasons when they are doing there own thing, they fail badly.

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, that's another reason the "thing that's big right now" obvious thought process here is really sort of daft. If you could find an actor who (for instance) puts half the effort into Darth Caedus that Stephen Dillane did for Show!Stannis, I think you could make an extremely watchable LOTF TV series; that doesn't mean I'd ever be waving a Troy Denning for showrunner flag.

5. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Yeah can't wait for them to introduce Pellaeon and have him burn his daughter after like 10 seconds of thinking it over.

Actually yeah @Vthuil brought it up better. Just bring in Caedus and have him burn Allana at the end because why not, Lumiya can tell him to do it even though one of the main reasons he's doing what he's doing is for Allana. Maybe he's fighting on Hoth and they need the fire to stay warm, makes sense. Also have the GAG destroyed by twenty good men.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    The_Forgotten_Jedi and kalzeth like this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I wrote a long, inarticulate and rambling post before remembering that my point had already been summed up adequately by someone else:

GoT is very well dressed up schlock that remains enjoyable on most levels outside the dialog and plotting.

Star Wars, of all things, can certainly survive being that.

These movies are by no means doomed.

But I am not expecting anything that demonstrates a solid "command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology" or ability to "break new ground". :p

7. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    It's not about "qualifications," it's about having a certain perspective. Black people in America (especially those whose families were once slaves) would have a MUCH different perspective on slavery still existing than a white people. And those stories are hardly ever told.

Also, the "qualifications" argument is really tired and old. There are tons of qualified minorities who never get the chance to work in Hollywood because the same people make movies/TV over and over. Kathleen Kennedy says she wants diverse and groundbreaking storytelling. She needs to put her money where her mouth is.

8. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Shouldn’t the best person for the job get it no matter the race or sex

Hamburger_Time and Havoc123 like this.
  9. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    The Johnson Trilogy.

And Rian has one too.

Without the books as a guide, GoT has fallen back on usual TV tropes so I'm wary of their getting three films.

Unless we're getting more Star Wars movies annually, I wonder about having the same creative voices for six years while into unknown territory. If the standalones are going on hiatus, it would be a shame to not be getting a new story every other year.

Get away from the OT for a while plz.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    LOL at people referencing X-Men Origins. Funny how Dreamcatcher never comes up when Kasdan is praised here, or Fantastic Four when Kinberg does an episode of Rebels.

Enjoy:

If by "us" you mean broadly not the people who directly post here but the sort of fanboys who grew up watching Star Wars and obsessing over it and nitpicking it... well, they already are the ones who have a huge influence on the franchise.

11. nancipants

Nov 16, 2017
    This implies that there are no non-white, non-male people capable of writing and directing Star Wars movies.

12. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, according to Kathleen Kennedy....

13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Occasionally depending on the material the best person for a particular project is someone of a specific race or sex. If you've got a talented filmmaker who has a personal connection with the specific material then the result is likely to be better.

Roman Polanski was a holocaust survivor, so it informed on his work on the Pianist and helped make the film really hit in a way that it may not have under the direction of someone who wasn't close to those events. I'm not particularly big on Polanski, but in that instance he was best person for the job because of his heritage as a Jew.

There's the matter of general diversity as well, but more to this particular point...there are some instances where it's better served for the creator to have a specific racial/ethnic/religious background or gender.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    In regards to a story about an AU of the South winning the Civil War (which was pitched to still take place in current times) it would have been just as much about government and world building as it would have been about slavery and social injustice. So a story like that should go to the best person for the job regardless of race or sex. If you were making a movie/series dealing strictly with the African American population in an AU of the South winning the Civil War than I could see a person of color being the best person for the job regardless of qualifications. However as far as I know it was intended to have a far wider scope than that.

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I rented that off of netflix several years back. Watched about ten minutes of it and hit the stop button and put it right back in the mailbox. One of the worst things I have ever rented off of netflix. And not because of the overall racist tone of it. It was just a very very poorly done film.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    What about it was either racist or poorly done?

And what might be the reasons why a movie about American racism made by an African-American filmmaker might not be able to have Hollywood-level effects in it?

17. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am excited about another new set of movies. (I may accidentally refer to it as a trilogy though I know that has not been confirmed.) I do not quite understand all the hate this is getting when we know nothing about it. Though I was excited for the last two movies and did not like them as much (I liked TFA, not so much RO or TLJ). I will stay hype for these, and just hope they fit with what I like, which is a fun story that does not kill everyone off.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Now I didn't say anything about a movie made by an African American filmmaker wouldn't be able to have hollywood level effects in it. I strictly said that this particular one was very poorly done in my opinion. It was way too exaggerated and was too much of an amateur product for my tastes. I didn't even realize it was made by an African American until you brought it up. You seem to be far more focused on that than I am. I just want entertaining products to watch regardless of who made them. And this wasn't one of them.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Art is Art. And people are apparently very willing to discount any art by THESE TWO PEOPLE IN PARTICULAR, so i'm not sure what your point is.

20. nancipants

Nov 16, 2017
    This argument is tired and insincere. The vast, overwhelming majority of people who make movies in Hollywood are white men. Is this because white men are the most talented individuals? Or, perhaps, could women and minorities have been systematically excluded from positions of power in Hollywood over the years?

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    This isn't the thread to get into this topic and would be pointless to get into anyways because none of us really know. All I know is that CSA: Confederate States of America wasn't very good and the director who did it really doesn't have a huge resume compared to many other directors. Is he this extremely talented director who is getting passed over because of his skin color? Who knows. Only the people who hire these filmmakers would know that. All I know is that CSA wasn't very good.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd love for Kathryn Bigelow or Jordan Peele to direct a Star Wars movie.

But i'd also love for Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright to direct a Star Wars movie.

It's not a Zero-Sum game here.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I have a feeling this series will be a trilogy yet Lucas film deliberately refrained from calling it one because they didn't want the inevitable "ANOTHER trilogy" arguments getting in the way of hype

24. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    No. It does not. You agrued that qualifications are a ‘tired and old’ practice, but you’re basically saying that a mutually exclusive qualification should have been ‘being African American’. So when they start going through the options, consideration is limited to only African American candidates.

Whereas the ‘best man for the job’ argument is saying that the the process should be absent of parameters that disqualify people based on race,sex religion, etc.

Now, the best man for the job could very easily be an African American. But his race isn’t used as a defining parameter of who this person is or why he was chosen. Instead his heritage and view point were benefactors highlighting the composite of desirable traits that culminated in ‘being the best man for the job’.

It does not always work out this way, and executives often times make bad hires. That said, You don’t do anyone favors by eliminating half the candidates because they don’t fill a check box.

If he had said ‘The best man for the job is always hired regardless of race or sex’ then you could argue his statements had some implications. Simply stating something should be, does not mean things are or have been that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. nancipants

Nov 16, 2017
    I'll repeat myself, and then disappear to the diversity thread.