main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Total epicness

2. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    My initial reaction was, after seeing the struggle of all to get the Death Star plans, and the death of heroes in the process up to that point:

Fear.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think I recoiled in my seat, hand gripping the armrest tightly and was like "holy **** he's ****ing psycho" in my head as he was hacking apart all those rebels.

4. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Unpopular opinion, but, I thought it was just put in the film purely as fan service and it made like no sense within the context of the story up till that point. People in the theater started cheering and going nuts, and I starting to think "this is a bit disturbing, why are people cheering this mad man murdering people in order to undo everything the heroes in this film just fought for?"

The scene should have left the audience in awe and fear of Vader's power, but instead the impression was "wow, look how awesome Vader is guys!". It feels more like a cutscene from a video game than an actual scene from a major movie, and after the film was over, it was all people seemed to remember or want to talk about. It also didn't really fit in with what we see in A New Hope. Why didn't Vader just do the same thing on Leia's ship?

If taken out of context it was a cool scene, sure; but within the movie itself, it didn't make a lot of sense and felt out of place.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't see how it doesn't fit in. Why would Vader have to do the same on Leia's ship?
    Just because he went in and took out some rebels doesn't mean that he has to do that every single time. He wants to get the plans, he doesn't know where they are, as such having some survivors to interrogate could be quite helpful. In the first situation, the goal was to let no one get away, in the second situation there was no chance of anyone getting away (unless they took a life-pot, but those would have been fired upon if someone had been on board), instead the goal was to find the plans. There is no reason to assume that Vader would always have to act in such a way just because he did it this once.

I don't see how being impressed by the scene somehow means that someone was routing for the heroes to fail either. Nor did it feel anything like a cutscene from a video game to me. There is a difference between thinking that a scene was awesome and hoping that the villains will win. Darth Maul was popular as well, doesn't mean that people were chearing for him to win.

wobbits, EHT, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was also very happy to see a lightsaber in this film. It was not needed, but it added that much coolness

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    This issue has come up before, and I'll say now what I said then. People cheer because Darth Vader is probably one of the best known and best loved movie villains of all time. He often tops polls carried out for movie magazines and other media for "Movie's Greatest Villains". Fictional villains are very popular in escapist entertainment, and their deeds aren't necessarily given the same kind of consideration as they would if these were real life.

Vader has been in the public consciousness for forty years, but we have never really seen him unleash his destructive ability. We have seen him in duels, but they were against an old man and his own son, and we have seen his ruthless, merciless plotting. We have also seen the way he treats those who fail him and ultimately, his vulnerabilities. However, here was a chance to see Vader in all his brutal glory and see him for the unstoppable machine that he is, and why he is so deservedly feared. So yes, it was fan service to a degree, but I thought it fit the story and was a great addition.

Blobofat, EHT, Avnar and 2 others like this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I remember thinking that RO had restored Vader to the scary villain he was before the PT came along... Man that scene was epic!

9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    First thought was how incredible it was to finally see Lord Vader use so many Force powers in such rapid succession and so mercilessly on the big screen.
    Most pleased to see a Sith Lord in full Force, as it were.

Sarge likes this.
  10. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Vader was hacking Rebels apart at the end of R1, because he was trying to stop them from getting away with the plans. At the beginning of ANH, he is very angry already due to this, but needs to take some Rebels alive to find out where the plans are, or if they passed them on already. It makes perfect sense from a story standpoint.

In my opinion, fan service or not, it made sense in the story, and it was great to finally see Vader fully in action, other than in a lightsaber duel.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Lady_Misty, Hopeless, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That was pretty much my reaction. Yeah, I thought the Vader hallway scene was pretty cool; but I didn't have the giddy fanboy reaction that I know many people did at the theater. I'd have liked R1 with or without that scene.

12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    My reaction was pretty much this:

[​IMG]

13. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    The Vader sequence at the end of Rogue One was very well setup and executed. I was caught completely by surprise and it was a great note on which to end the movie. I immediately went home and started A New Hope. If this was fan service, then it proves that not all fan service is bad.

I understand and agree that fan service can be, and often is, cheap and superficial. I do not believe, however, it is responsible, commendable or any fun to avoid "servicing" the fans so long as such service contributes something meaningful to the overall story.

For example, the training droid's appearance in The Force Awakens is superfluous and disappointing due to the fact that it adds nothing to the story. As a long time fan, this is a very frustrating label as I do not feel "serviced" in any way by its appearance. Yet, it is still considered "fan service". In actuality it takes away from the larger story. To me, its presence seems to indicate The Falcon's life has been relatively boring since we last saw it in ROTJ. Where my imagination could be going wild with speculation as what adventures The Falcon has participated in since it was last seen, I found myself wondering how it is possible nobody cleaned it out in 30 years. For all the scavenging Unkar Plutt seems to have facilitated, he didn't clear the junk out of The Falcon; seems kinda' strange.

If, on the other hand, Rey had discovered the droid and used it in some capacity, its appearance could potentially add to the overall plot as we would see our new hero following in similar footsteps as our previous hero. This all depends, of course, on how well it were setup and executed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Lady_Misty and Snafu55 like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I mean if you liked Rogue One just becuase of that scene then I don't think you really liked RO.

eko32eko7, Sarge and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  15. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Hey, I was already geeking out about the "choke on your aspirations" line.

17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Couldn't believe it. Reminded me of The Clone Wars with the diversity and combinations of Force usage and yea, basically couldn't comprehend everything the first time; so amazing to see it in live action and to realize how it led up to Star Wars is amazing. Horrifying and beautiful simultaneously. One of the best SW scenes ever.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Lady_Misty and Avnar like this.
  18. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I hate it. It's one of the worst examples of fan service in the saga, and it really doesn't mesh well with what we see in ANH and beyond. It's fine in a vacuum, but it's ultimately just a bunch of self-indulgent nonsense.

ezekiel22x and Mark Pierre like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    He stops blaster bolts with his bare hands and can lift a man off of his feet with one arm. This is the first time we've ever seen Vader in open battle. It makes sense. Besides, the scene shows his strategic mindset. He only appears when he finds the Rebels in an ideal place to ambush. A tight corridor where their numbers are made useless which means that he cannot be surrounded or fired upon from multiple angles, melee is more viable and they can't use explosives without either killing themselves or damaging the schematics.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Lady_Misty, wobbits and Sarge like this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's also pretty restrained and believable as OT Vader. It's not like he's doing backflips.

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, which is pretty cool. It shows that he has more weight and restraint tied to his capabilities as a result to what has happened to him since the PT.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  22. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Was just talking about this today. It was the Vader I had been waiting for for nearly 40 years (god, I’m old.) this was the first Vader that frightened me.

jaqen likes this.
  23. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Incredulity. I was near on unspoilt for this film and I found the whole third act magically awesome.

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    That scene made the movie. Iconic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016

This sums it up pretty well for me in the theater.

AndyLGR, Sarge, EHT and 1 other person like this.