main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I wouldn't say that. He dealt with Bendu rather easily after all.

2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Going by Filoni's comments from a few weeks back, I think if Palpatine actually steps up to take over as the main threat it's because Thrawn has a more blasé approach to the Force than Palpatine.

According to Filoni, Thrawn sees the Jedi as a tactical problem whereas Palpatine sees them as something that has to be utterly stomped out, and if Sheev is after the Mortis....thing...in the Jedi temple then maybe he feels it's better that a Force User be the one calling the shots.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I will be interested to see Sheev and Thrawn interact on screen.

4. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I'd like to see Thrawn, Palpatine, Tarkin and Yularen all in a scene together and really get a look onscreen at the Imperial hierarchy.

Filoni had ruled it out a few weeks ago when someone asked him in regards to Krennic, but he lied about Palpatine so there's wriggle room.

Darth Caliban and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    There is no Imperial hierarchy. It's fascism. There is the Emperor, and there is everybody below. A convoluted bureaucracy is set up to make an heir apparent ambiguous. There is an upper echelon who are more or less equal in authority: The Imperial Ruling Council, "Lord" Darth Vader, "Grand" Moffs, Generals, Admirals, Vizier and Inquisitor, "Directors", etc...
    Vader and the Grand Inquisitor seem to be outside the government and military structure but still hold the highest authority unless the Emperor otherwise specifies - such as when following Yavin the Emperor placed Vader under the command of Grand General Tagge.
    If I were to guess, Tarkin is the highest authority. Thrawn (the military) receives orders from Tarkin (the government) and Yularen is outside both of their authority. The ISB are outside the hierarchical structure of the government and the military because they're the secret police who watch everyone. Grand Admiral Thrawn suspects Kallus is a spy, but Thrawn has to bring in Kallus' boss in the ISB in order to confirm his suspicions and make a move - otherwise Thrawn would be overstepping his authority.
    In Season 1, The Grand Inquisitor and Kallus aren't obliged to follow Tarkin's orders, but work with him to save face after numerous failures to destroy the Rebels on Lothal. Much like this are the events of A New Hope, when Tarkin works with Vader to secure the plans to the Death Star after the debacle on Scariff, despite neither of them having any real authority over the other.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    V-2 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    He just didn't expect hearing him laugh after he just "killed" him. Bendu will have the last laugh in the end, maybe not in Rebels though.

7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I doubt it. Kinda hard to laugh without a body.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Bendu is adept at the art of disappearing and reappearing at will but yeah, I doubt we'll see him again since they left Atollon.

Vialco likes this.
  9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    There is, by Kallus own words, an imperial High Command, of which Thrawn and Vader are members of. I want to see how those people interact with each other, how they fit into the legality of the Imperial regime doesn't necessarily concern me moreso than how they function together as individuals.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You literally hear him laugh after he vanished.

revan772 likes this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    They work together when necessary but have their own respective commands, which sometimes overlap. Thrawn commands the Seventh Fleet. Yularen commands the ISB. Tarkin governs the outer rim. Pryce governs the Lothal System. Vader commands the missions the Emperor assigns him to, and eventually commands Death Squadron. Krennic oversees the Death Star project. We don't have any evidence that they regularly met to discuss governing the Empire. They did report what they were doing to the Imperial Ruling Council. The Imperial Ruling Council is the body which took care of the boring, time consuming bureaucratic stuff while the Emperor was off doing Sith things.

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I agree, it´s quite an interesting theme to see the inner workings of the Empire! I was wondering, though, if Yularen actually leads the ISB. I imagined he is just the highest ranking member with some kind of visibility. Harus Ison was meant to be Deputy Director (at least close to the creation of the Empire) but maybe things changed later on? In canon, Armand Isard is now the Director of Compnor, so ISB would ultimately report to him...

I always imagined Vader had the highest authority as an outside figure from the military, with Tarkin having a more or less equivalent role to him, being a special kind of authority on his own. Tarkin seems above Thrawn in ranking, because he would be more of an administrator, that´s why he could even call Vader to deal with particular problems. Anyway, I imagine Thrawn and the GA are the highest authority of the Armada, and probably as you said they report directly to the Ruling Council (Pestage, Ars Dangor, Amedda, etc), as the closest political/bureaucratic authority to the Emperor...

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Is the ISB subordinate to Compnor? I thought they were separate bureaus but the ISB worked closely with Compnor. Again, though, I guess that's the point. A convoluted bureaucracy to make sure nobody else in the Empire amasses enough influence to challenge the authority of the Emperor.
    I would guess Yularen actually does direct the ISB considering he instructed ISB agents such as Kallus, who was his brightest pupil. It would also make sense having him among the big shots on the Death Star.
    Anywho I think it's safe to assume that the ISB has a degree of influence over politicians and regular military units such as Konstantine or Thrawn. If Thrawn arrested Kallus without Yularen's approval during the Fulcrum scare, he might have cast suspicion over himself.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Snafu55 and Ithorians like this.
  14. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Sorry if this has already been posited by someone else before me (haven't read this whole thread), but does anybody else find Bendu's whole "many arms in a cold embrace" reference rather interesting in context of Thrawn's ship's symbol:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe Thrawn will be betrayed and forced to go down with his ship?

15. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    I thought the Bendu's comment was so vague, it is impossible to predict what might happen. That being said, I was thinking about a betrayal as well.

In the short term, however, all I am interested in is Thrawn making it out of Rebels alive. I prefer his character in a book where his actions can be explored in more detail. If he has to die, then I hope it is not in the next few episode...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The main betrayal that I could see happening is Pryce, though I imagine she's going to meet her end at some point this season regardless of what happens to Thrawn.

But yeah, I'm not really sure that he dies so soon. It's possible, anything's possible at this point, but I would think that there's more value in keeping the character around longer than his scant appearances so far.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    maybe one of those space cthulu in the Solo trailer kills him while he's charting hyperspace lanes in the unknown regions.

18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I used to advocate for Thrawn's death but even I acknowledge that that would be a terrible way for the character to go out. I actually hope they don't kill Thrawn in Rebels. There's so much untapped potential with that character that they could explore.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I really hope not. any death like that would just be a waste.

20. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Absolutely! it´s so interesting because it seems, as you say, quite convoluted. In fact, I assumed Advanced Weapons Research was part of Imperial Intelligence because of Krennic´s Death Troopers, but apparently it´s ISB too!

Yularen was a top level ISB agent for sure. I´m curious to see if/how we will be portayed in the next Thrawn novel, I did like their interactions in the first one...

21. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I always wanted to know more about the Bureaucracy of the ISB and Compnor, (though I haven't finished the books that go into some detail about them like tarkin).
    But wouldn't the leader of the ISB be a Director (like Director of FBI and CIA in our world). Though I always thought Yularen was a Deputy Director with his Colonel rank, as we see Admiral Versio holding a higher rank...

22. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    My guess is that Yularen's colonel rank is his front for the military, like Kallus has the rank of commander. They do play a secondary role as a military unit even though its the ISB who they ultimately report to. Kallus can order around squads of storm troopers or command a light cruiser for example, though it would be Konstantine who commands the Star Destroyer and fleet stationed at Lothal.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  23. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I could be wrong but how does he have the rank of commander and give konstantine orders?

24. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I dont think he ever orders Konstantine. They work together, like a Vader-Tarkin relationship. I'll have to rewatch.

Snafu55 likes this.
  25. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Newest episodes of Rebels, these finally feel like the Thrawn we should have. And who's stoked to see Thrawn and the Emperor interact (assuming the upcoming meeting is shown)???