main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate what should americans do since their government no longer functions and they live in a fascist state

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Feb 1, 2018.

?

what should americans do now that they live in a fascist state

1. seppuku

2. immigrate

3. shoot fascists and then be shot by fascists (except any who might post on this forum)

4. crack up (this is archaic terminology for having an emotional breakdown, usually leads to option #1)

5. other (please specify)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Double post

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Other-Stay living and working outside of the US but continuing to make my cash money on the back of what appears to be a resurgence in the defense industry. Gotta go where the puck is going to be, not where it is [face_money_eyes]

Vaderize03 and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Declare independence. No reason we should get nuked by North Korea because of Donald Trump's stupidity. If red states want to get incinerated, that's their problem.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I say send in the attack squirrels.

5. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Vote for Snowcat.

SuperWatto and Alpha-Red like this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't see how that's going to save us from fascism.

MrZAP, SuperWatto, Ender Sai and 9 others like this.
  7. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    They double down on same person for POTUS which often proves to be equally unsuccessful.

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I've given this a lot of thought. I'll try and keep it brief.

In a nutshell, the governors of the blue states need to hold a joint press conference (after planning this ahead of time, obviously) announcing that based on the available evidence, they believe the President of the United States has been corrupted by the influence of a hostile foreign power, and that the national GOP leadership is actively working to place him above the law via both intimidation of our law-enforcement and intelligence institutions and manipulation of the facts. Therefore, until all available information on the Russia probe is released and Trump is fully cleared of any wrongdoing by Congress:

1) The blue states, effective immediately, are suspending their membership in the Union. Note I am NOT using the term 'secede', which is illegal under US law. A suspension, on the other hand, does not involve leaving the United States, and is a legal gray area. Said suspension will be predicated on the idea that the President has been, and continues to be, the ostensible agent of a hostile foreign power, and that his Party is actively working to conceal this fact in violation of their oaths to uphold the Constitution.

2) All co-operation with Washington DC is immediately suspended. No money will be sent to Washington in any form by the government of said states.

3) All federal officials have 24 hours to leave said states, following which they will be detained.

4) No state participating in the suspension will take any action against any military facility within their state's borders, nor interfere with any federal armory or prison.

5) The National Guard will be deployed in each state's capital to defend the governor's office and all state officials, including legislators, against military retaliation by Washington.

6) The states participating in the suspension will issue a new currency, backed by gold and silver, which will be legal tender for public and private debts within their borders and fully interchangeable with the US dollar.

Now, will any of this actually ever happen? Of course not. It's ridiculous to even think it could--but we are entering a situation that, for the first time since the Civil War, threatens the continued existence of the United States as a cohesive nation. And drastic times call for drastic measures. At the very least, planning for the above scenario might not be a bad idea. We've already seen local officials refuse to co-operate with the federal government on immigration issues, so what I've outlined, while highly unlikely, is not necessarily outside the realm of rational thought.

The fact that I would even type the above words gives me pause, but this is where we are. I'm not sure the US government can continue to exist given the current state of affairs for much longer. Something's gotta give--the only questions is what will that be? If a true constitutional crisis emerges, I don't see a majority of the country falling in behind Trump. He certainly has lost any semblance of institutional support. And one of the places where that could lead is dissolution of the union.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    starfish, Sauntaero, Jedi Ben and 5 others like this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    So, you favour making this situation a thousand times worse? Brilliant.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    wait so what is actually going to happen?

12. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Did you read the bottom half of my post, ie the part where I said this was extremely unlikely to happen, or are you just choosing to ignore it?

I don't know you, but your recent posts seem to consist mostly of dropping drive-by one-liners short on substance but long on invective. If you think what I wrote was stupid, fine. It's not my place to tell what you to post. But no-one forced you to read it. You certainly weren't forced to respond to it. If you want to discuss why my idea is so off-base in a country where the last remaining vestiges of a functioning national government with separation-of-powers is crumbling before the world's eyes, then let's discuss it. If your only answer is a snarky comment designed to try and make you look sarcastic and cool, then don't bother. I gave an extraordinary answer to an extraordinary situation. It's not one I desire or hope for, but given where things are going, some type of formal schism is becoming more and more of a possibility. America is my home, it's my family's home, and if it's a choice between yawning and rolling over while Trump turns himself into a formal dictator vs standing up and fighting, then I choose to stand and fight. You can do whatever you'd like.

Have a good afternoon.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't say it was stupid.

Nor was I being snarky.

If you cannot take someone, occasionally, pointing out mild criticism or a different opinion - then you cannot blame that on me. Then the problem lies with you. Echo chambers are not healthy.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    America doesn't exist anymore. The very name of our country is a bad joke. I would just say leave the country. People here didn't care enough to vote, they're certainly not going to care enough to take up arms to defend themselves.

appleseed and Juliet316 like this.
  16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    But don't come to the U.K.
    We voted to be xenophobic ********s and we don't want no foreigners spoiling our glorious bankrupt dystopia.

V-2, SuperWatto and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Honestly, your xenophobia looks rather mild and it can't be worse than ours. And even xenophobia is a small problem compared to our Republicans' authoritarianism and engineered upside-down reality.

appleseed and Bacon164 like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wonder if 8 years ago, a similar thread was made on (further) right-leaning message boards.

V-2, Point Given and Ender Sai like this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I wonder if there's ever been a time period when the US was something other than a plutocratic oligarchy

Well, maybe pre-1776, but that stretches the meaning of "US", and that wasn't much better

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was a time when it was less of one than it is now, but only because corporations had not had time to grow into entities with the power to take over the government, and political campaigns were not dependent upon corporate donations in order to survive.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Ralph Nader tried to talk about all of this many, many times and look what happened to him. At least he didn't get his brains blown out like other leaders who've tried to speak up and be reasonable. And the nonsense is still going on even as we speak. [face_plain]

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Too soon.

Ender Sai and Master_Rebado like this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Poor Coco. Colo.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll be doing my voting at the midterms thank you very much boom nailed it.

starfish, Sauntaero and Ender Sai like this.