main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Unlearn what you have learned" - The Jedi Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaMatt, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
  2. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    FWIW, that was me on Twitter that asked Stover that.

5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    noice

Dawud786 likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Here's a question that piggybacks off a topic from another thread.

What were the laws governing lightsaber ownership and usage in the Republic? I recall seeing somewhere that only Jedi were permitted to own such weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    That would make sense, but would be kind of weird. That is, unless the law was intended to stop graverobbing and illicit artifact dealing/promote respect for Jedi religious sites.

Also, I was thinking about the question of Ahsoka's Jedi-ness, and the Barash vow, but it seems Vialco you've already made a post about it.
    I'm curious whether there are real world traditions like this, as well as to the boundaries of this vow. The vow to "take no action of [the Order's] behald, no matter the circumstances" is no doubt because a Jedi acting without clarity or focus - even if the intention is good - is dangerous. It reminds me of exile to Bogan in the Dawn of the Jedi comics.

CaptainPeabody, Vialco and Dawud786 like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also that the lightsaber seem to be the Jedis badge of office, so caring one while not being a jedi would be like somebody carrying around a real police badge without being a police

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Its been a while, but wasn't Ahsoka allowed to keep her saber...? For the Siege of Mandalore?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont know about examples of vows done as a form of penance, but it does remind me, in some ways, of Sufi retreats or other forms of retreat. The mystic goes into seclusion for a time(frequently 40 days in the Sufi tradition) to focus solely upon the Real.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't know actually, I have been planing to see those episodes for ages but things have come in the way.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not in an episode, but in the Ahsoka novel I believe.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not read that one either

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Tenel Ka kept her lightsaber, too. I think there's an acknowledgement that a former Jedi may have need of defending themself.
    If I'm not mistaken there's some precedence for this in ascetic Judaism, too. Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and was tempted by the dark side.

15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    She was not allowed to keep it when she walked away. But, when she agreed to undertake a mission for the Jedi Order, Anakin returned her sabers to her. That he didn't do it before and she didn't build new ones after leaving suggests that it was not permitted for non-Jedi to use them.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering all these exceptions being made in new canon--Ahsoka getting her sabers back to fight the war against Maul despite not being a Jedi, and Quinlan Vos being reinstated to Master rank despite being a mass murderer--new canon is making it hard to explain why Anakin just didn't reveal he was married. The way things were going, they probably would have made an exception for him too.

To be fair, Legends also had this problem on why Anakin didn't just join the Altisian Jedi.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the answer was the same in both cases - Anakin wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was.
    [​IMG]

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not so sure about that. This is the same guy who said in the Mortis arc "The Chosen One is a myth."

I have a feeling that deep down he knew they'd be a lot harder on him than Quinlan etc. Like in real life --and we all know this situation-- the one who tries to do everything right, everything perfect. They see other people get away with all sorts of stuff. But if they make one slip up, they end up getting a lot more flak over it than all those other people who frequently purposely break the rules and get away with it.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I guess that's true, but it's not super different than what I said - I don't think we can dismiss the enormous pressure Anakin puts on himself, especially in AotC.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, Quin and Ahsoka's situations were completely different from Anakin's. Remember that the Council did expel Ahsoka for circumstantial evidence linking her to the Temple Bombing. Vos was given a chance to redeem himself after the Jedi discovered that he was a double agent, but after his guilt was determined, the Council gave the order to execute him.

Vos was only given a reprieve after that because he proved his loyalty by saving Obi-Wan and Anakin on Christophsis. The Council's leniency at that point no doubt stemmed from their own guilt at having sent on Vos on the original mission that resulted in his capture by Dooku and subsequent turn to the Dark Side.

Anakin did violate one of the key tenets of the Order by marrying. If he had come forward or been caught, the Council would probably have chastised him and then given him a choice. Leave Padme and remain a Jedi, albeit under closer supervision (similar to Vos) or be expelled. It's a pretty fair decision. Jedi aren't allowed to have attachments, for very obvious and valid reasons. If Anakin wanted to be happily and openly married he just had to turn in his lightsaber and walk away.

People love to accuse the Jedi Council of being overly harsh. But their Order has been around for millennia and their rules are in place for good reasons. If some Jedi are unhappy with the restrictions placed upon them, they're free to leave.

[​IMG]

21. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    This seems to be a fairly direct take-off of Catholicism to me. Clerics that have committed serious crimes are sentenced at times by the Church to lives of perpetual penance. They are still required to pray the Divine Office as clerics (if they have not additionally been laicised), and to spend the remainder of their life doing penance for their sins, but are absolutely forbidden to celebrate the Sacraments publicly or otherwise function as clergy (the one exception being situations where someone is in immediate danger of dying & there are no other clerics available, in which case they are permitted to give absolution). A number of the priests involved in the sexual abuse scandal, for instance, (but who could not be criminally prosecuted due to statutes of limitation) were sentenced to this state.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The difference here being a life of exile and asceticism, with the possibility of returning to full service when their path is revealed to them.

Vialco likes this.
  23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Good ol' Kanan, being great about attachment.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002

25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, if he was really adhering to the Jedi principles of no attachment, he'd be letting his attachment to Hera go. He was pretty intent on pursuing a relationship with her earlier in the Season. It's a bit late for him to recognize how his feelings for her could compromise him in action. This seems mostly like a cheap ploy to have Ezra be in charge, which he hasn't been since the disaster at Reklam Station.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018