main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    It's very interesting that you see it that way : I don't agree but I understand you reasoning and it makes sense.
    The closest to a proper definition of their bond I can get is maybe the one of childhood friends, a combination of deep love and purity. In TFA, they are both treated as children and TLJ is more like their adolescences, separated from each other. And to me they don't appear as simply friends from childhood but you know, THESE KINDS of childhood friends, where basically everyone around them can see it but not them. But maybe that's just me

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Brennan Marshall

Brennan Marshall Jedi Knight

May 22, 2015
  3. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    This is fascinating. Campea was the king of the Finn friendzone'rs after the release of TFA. In fact, if my memory serves correct, he said, " Finn and Rey will NEVER get together (romantically)."

He inflected on the word never to emphasis how ridiculous the idea of it was. Hmmm.... Cool.

People can change.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I get the sense Finn has basically just imprinted on her. Rey barely seems to care.

At the end of TFA she was cradling him in her arms...but then moments later she's stealing Chewie's hug off Leia and leaving for the island.

She never asks about him or indicates she thinks about him in TLJ. She gives him a hug right at the end, though.

Not a very compelling clue that anything will exist between them beyond his puppy love for her.

If he kissed her now I suspect her reaction would be pretty similar to Finn's reaction when Rose kissed him. Befudlement mixed with pity?

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  5. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    That’s just not true. She asks about him on two separate occasions, and one of them was to have Chewie deliver a message to him if she doesn’t get back.

She clearly does care about him. Whether it’s romantic or not will be decided in the next movie, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say he means nothing to her.

La Calavera, Miriedis, 11-4D and 5 others like this.
  6. ImpreciseStormtrooper

Jan 8, 2016
    Cheers.

My lack of an impression even after multiple viewings tells the story really.

The Incidents you mention are emotionally weak. They gave no sense of longing or of her being distraught. To the point I don't even recall them (although the getting a message back rings a bell).

My point is not that she doesn't care. It's that she doesn't care in that way.

I'd love to see them develop something deeper. It just isn't there yet.

He's basically her Chewie - a freed slave that loves her unconditionally and owes her a life debt/is prepared to fight to protect her in return

7. Eeyore freak

May 19, 2016
    @ImpreciseStormtrooper I agree those moments weren’t the most emotionally compelling (although I thought their hug at the end was great and made me feel like there is still some potential with them.) but it did at least establish that he was on her mind.

I really wish either Snoke or Kylo had mentioned Finn to Rey though in the throne room. Or Rey was shown sensing his presence. I really don’t get why Rian would put them on the same ship at the same time and not do anything with that.

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    All of this. I enjoyed the scraps we were thrown regarding Finn and Rey's bond, but overall this movie killed it for me. The middle movie of the trilogy should deepen the bonds between our heroes, but it felt more like the point here was that Rey and Finn are nice friends but irrelevant to each other's stories and the audience should maintain minimal emotional investment in them. Why on earth would they be on the same ship at the same time, each going through these incredibly huge, life endangering trials, and not even be aware of each other or worrying for each other? Heroes typically fight for their friends, and there was none of that here. It crosses the line into bizarre writing as far as I'm concerned, especially because each of them stole FO ships to escape. There's not just one ship lying around for our heroes to hijack, but two! They might as well have been in two entirely different movies. The hug with them at the end is the only exception to that. It was very touching.

9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Eh, I think I of the characters' connection is communicated through the acting, not the script. The tie-ins do also confirm that they are mutually close.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    About FinnRey, I usually just say that it's not out of the question it could happen; bad ideas make it to the movie screen every Friday. It's just that they have all the wrong chemistry and other people have the right one. And if FinnRey were going to happen, why would they bring in Rose, because there's absolutely no way they're going to have a Finn-Rey-Rose love triangle. If KMT returns, it's almost certainly over for FinnRey shippers.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Why would Rey being “distraught” make a better case for Finn/Rey?

She was obviously very happy to see him. The hug was beautiful. That’s what I need for Finn/Rey. If she were ”distraught” upon seeing him again, something would be wrong.

There’s an expression that I believe in very strongly: no one is worth crying over, and anyone who is, will not make you cry.

Finn has not made Rey cry and I would think far less of him if he did.

Which is also why a Finn-Rey-Rose love triangle would be a terrible idea, aside from the fact that love triangles are annoying as hell anyway.

12. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    The ST is so cobbled together nothing would surprise me. And this isn't a prediction of things to come - that's just not possible given the shared narrative format, but if LF wanted to "rule out" Finn/Rey, they would have. They've had two movies to remove the ambiguity of their dynamic and they haven't.

I'm not saying there's any there there, but their ambiguous dynamic is intentional.

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    They definitely want mystery around who Finn will choose and whether Ben Solo will change for Rey, or Rey for Ben, or if Rey will have to kill Ben.

They left the options there for anything heading into IX.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  14. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Pretty much sure Finn made her cry when he left her, unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Yora, RiddleMeThis and cerealbox like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    For me, they are just friends. Not sure Rey will live after IX.

16. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I would give this little hope for FinnReys: I have a theory about romcoms: in romcoms with male creators a lot of times the girl eventually goes manic pixie dream girl and picks the sensitive cartoonist. In romcoms with female creators, they almost always pick the hunk who's kind of a d**k. So with male creators, it's still an open ballgame. If, like, Ava Duvernay were writing/directing, this one would be completely over. But it's dudes so it's not completely out of the question.

Rhyoth likes this.
  17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I think the problem with Finn and Rey that I tend to see here is that they don't form much of a meaningful bond with anyone nor do they ever get ample opportunity to in the story. They hardly develop their relationships with anyone they've met in the previous film. We hardly get anything with Poe since Finn gets chained with Rose (who is a character The Last Jedi could have done well without) and Rey doesn't really have all that much of a good relationship with Luke either in this film. They just seem to hop from one character to the next with little to no emotional investment. I mean, there IS Ben but when that's the only character Rey has formed anything resembling a relationship with given the events of the last two films, it's pretty bad. Sometimes hilariously so, if you think about it.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thankfully Star Wars is not a romcom. And given that Ava DuVernay directed Selma and 13th, pigeonholing her capabilities into romcoms in which the “manic pixie dream girl” picks the “hunk who is kind of a ****” is pretty degrading, as is stereotyping the capabilities of “female directors” that way as a whole.

Finn and Rey, if it happens, has been established the way the best romantic relationships in real-life established. Rom-coms don’t dot that.

@Talos of Atmora I agree that Finn and Rey do not have ample opportunity to form a bond in TLJ and I think that was intentional on the part of Johnson. That can be rectified in IX and hopefully it will be.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  19. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    You know that the TLJ Visual Dictionary says that "the First Order, not allowing for such deep personal connections, would describe Finn's behavior towards Rey as Imprinting. He knows it to be something deeper."

And Rey asks about him multiple times during TLJ. Daisy even confirmed in an interview that Rey is worried about Finn at home. John thinks that Rey's look at the end "says it all."

@Eeyore freak @AhsokaSolo You know why Rian did what he did lol.

20. ImpreciseStormtrooper

Jan 8, 2016
    Really?

That's fascinating. I haven't read the visual dictionary.

I always saw his behaviour as odd. As if his conditioning to follow orders had transferred into a a conditioning to follow Rey blindly in the same way.

The "he knows it to be something deeper" part isn't onscreen unfortunately. It's weak.

Geez. I wish they'd made more of that in the movies. Far more interesting than where RJ left their interactions.

Eeyore freak likes this.
  21. Eeyore freak

May 19, 2016
    “I thought about having a scene where Rey and Finn reunite on the Supremacy, but it would have been too emotional and I didn’t feel like writing that.” - RJ

22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    [face_rofl] RJ has said so much stuff like this that I actually thought it was legit for a second.

23. ImpreciseStormtrooper

Jan 8, 2016
    @Eeyore freak

Finn exploring his new emotions could have been a movie in itself.

In TFA the bloody hand seems to wake him from a trance. Watching it again I'm reminded of an audience member being woken by a hypnotist.

Great visual story telling.

Where is the follow up? Too complex an idea?

Rey could have dismissed him as just being conditioned, treating him like a loyal pet, when in fact he was fighting for his right to his very independence, and for his free will to be respected.

Eeyore freak likes this.
  24. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Honestly, TLJ did a poor job of fully recognizing his past as a Stormtrooper. I know there were a few things here or there, but what I mean is that he could've been just a regular Resistance fighter and infiltrate the Supremacy, as well as get into a fight with Phasma.

The only thing that made those scenes marginally more interesting was the fact that he had a previously established past with Phasma. But if you went in without seeing TFA, you wouldn't really know unless you paid attention. Another stellar option Rian failed to utilize.

I'm curious how his past affects his story in Episode IX, as well as with Rey and stuff, what they could be up to?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @Eeyore freak , I know there was an “I didn’t feel like writing it” comment from RJ regarding Finn so I thought that quote was legit as well.

Both the fight with Phasma and the reunion with Rey should have lasted longer than a minute each. I don’t think it’s too late for Abrams to recognize Finn’s past as a stormtrooper though. TFA did a pretty good job showing that Finn cared about the trooper whose blood ended up all over his helmet as well as the subsequent “**** it, I’m not doing this any more” moment. Plus Abrams did really well with the Finn/Rey moments, especially in Maz’s castle and after Finn ended up in a coma, enough that it would be a sad waste if those moments amounted to nothing.