main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    But kilts though.
    For the Space-Scotsmen.
    Flaming orange hair. Bad tempers. Stingy with money. Possibly dwarves.

But in Space.

bluealien1 likes this.
  2. Tobi

Tobi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    It feels like Its going to be something like kotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trikuza23 likes this.
  3. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Are the creators of GOT also the directors?If not who do we think might do it?

4. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    They are not.

Marathonjedi77 likes this.
  5. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Although to be fair, they have each directed a few episodes of GoT. From what I understand they are just going to be writers/producers for the new series and not the directors.

ETA. Just realized the question was if they are the directors for the new series. My mistake.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    KembaSkywalker likes this.
  6. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Didn't know that. Neat! But yes, for this SW film series, they will almost certainly just be writers/producers.

Starkiller17 likes this.
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Wonder if they're do something like produce all three (or however many the series is) all at once. Similar to how they make an entire season of GOT. Do everything they would have done for a season of GOT, but do so for SW and for theaters. One movie p year.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    What about space togas?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It's funny how my memory works sometimes. :oops:

Krueger likes this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Okay I’ll allow it.

11. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I'll still have a peak.

12. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I will say, if you make it through the first few seasons, the gratuitous nudity is tuned down a lot. But yes, the first few seasons are pretty eye rolling when it comes to that, and it's good to give a warning.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  13. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Yes that is true. After season 3 it tones down a lot although there are still obviously some scenes that will not be for everyone. @Demsa Aztor i hope you do take a look and would suggest focus on the storytelling, world building and most of all the characters and their development, especially if you get hooked and watch all 7 seasons. One other thing that is important for SW is how they foretell things subtly and tie things up that happened many seasons earlier.

Baron_Papanerd and Demsa Aztor like this.
  14. iluvupadme

iluvupadme Jedi Master star 1

Oct 19, 2009
    and while they're at it hire a female to direct it

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Trilogies upon trilogies! I'm looking forward to what they bring though.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't understand why they hire top-talent for writing the SW comics, but for the movies they chose these mediocre writers.
    I want a Nolan or Del Toro directed SW-film, no more BS like TLJ. At least JJ is one of the more experienced guys, even though his stuff tends to be pretty derivative.
    If you want these SW-movies to be a hit, you need to invest into the writing. Flashy CGI shouldn't be the sole focus here.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    "Flashy CGI" wasn't the focus at any point, so I have no idea what you are even trying to get at. It seems rather absurd to argue that you not liking a movie must have been because "they didn't invest in writing" and only cared about flashy CGI. That's just such an dishonest way to argue.

Nothing wrong with not liking something, but it is simply insulting to suggest the people involved in making the movie didn't care or are bad at their job just because you don't happen to like what they delivered.

And where exactly did they choose "mediocre writers"?
    Rian Johnson's prior movies had tons of nominations and wins for best screenplay. TFA first had Michael Arndt, who won an Oscar, and then Lawrence Kasdan, who was nominated for a few and had the obvious Star Wars connection. Rogue One had Chris Weitz as writer, who was nominated for an Oscar. Solo had once again Lawrence Kasdan, and his son. IX will have Abrams and Christ Terrio, who also won an Oscar. Granted, he had some duds lately when it comes to DC movies, but those weren't entirely his works.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh yes, because they did such a great job? They didn't even plan the whole trilogy in advance, that's an almost unbelievable degree of amateurism when you already know you're making a trilogy. How can you possibly look at that fact and surmise from it that they're doing a good job?

But sure, continue mentioning meaningless awards and even more meaningless critics opinions.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Tosche_Station, Shadao and kalzeth like this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    You mean like George had the OT and PT mapped out and planned from the Beginn...ohhh wait. Well this is awkward.

George may have had ideas about where the OT may have gone but it changed constantly throughout making them. The PT despite having a clear end point also constantly changed during their creation deviating from his original ideas. It’s called development.

He didn’t stick to his original ideas so why should the creators of the ST be locked into telling a pre-mapped story? Why aren’t they allowed to express themselves to tell the story they want to tell? Way too rigid.

We can surmise that they’ve done a good job because we like the writing. Simple as you not liking it. You suggest the comics get top tier writing while I think overall the comics have been sub par.

TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Oh yes, because all Star Wars trilogies have been mapped out in their entirety, and George Lucas never ever had to sit around and come up with a story after just having finished the movie that came before...
    Darth Vader wasn't even Luke's father until some time into the development of ESB, that's a rather significant story-item wouldn't you say?

Hahaha, you are too funny. Awards and critics are entirely meaningless, but your opinion, now that's the one that defines what good writing is... :rolleyes:
    For some reason I'll take the opinion of a ton of people who work in the industry over a random fan who can't even voice her opinion without insulting the people involved, while also questioning their interest in even making these movies. It's hard to take someone seriously whose argument amounts to "I didn't like it, therefore these people are incompetent and don't care about Star Wars". Again, nothing wrong with disliking something, but it is getting rather absurd to question the motives of people you have zero clue about. Star Wars fandom is split into a thousand different factions defining what is "good" and what is "bad" about SW. Are all those who don't share your exact view on that matter also somehow not truly interested in the franchise, caring only about "flashy cgi", or does this weird stance of yours only apply to a certain bunch of people?

21. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    This. There is suddenly this revisionist push to paint the OT and PT as being painstakingly planned out years (OT) and decades (PT) in advance. IN reality, Lucas continually kept changing what his vision was. We heard 9 episodes, 12 episodes, and then finally 6. Vader wasn't originally supposed to be Lukes father. Luke and Leia were never supposed to be brother and sister as evidenced by the love triangle subplot in ANH and ESB. We weren't supposed to see the emperor in the first trilogy until Lucas got burnt out and decided to rest the brand after ROTJ and had to scramble with a way to end the trilogy that tied up all loose ends. "There is another" was never supposed to be Leia and we would find out Luke had a sister training on the other side of the galaxy sometime in the sequel trilogy, again when Lucas got burned out.

The PT felt very much like something put together on the fly. The Clone Wars were obviously never something he truly put much thought into until he had to write II. Midichlorians certainly weren't something mapped out in 1975. The Syfo Dias mystery was set up as a huge plot point in II, but abandoned in III and left to be fleshed out in books and cartoons, thus rendering AOTC somewhat irrelevant.

So, I don't get this idea that everything was so well planned out by Lucas. It wasn't.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I highly recommend reading "Star Wars FAQ", by Mark Clark, for anyone who forgets just how chaotic the development of Star Wars has always been.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Per the revised rules, found here:
    If you hate the ST thus far, we have places for you to wail and gnash your teeth about it to your heart’s content. But what we not gon’ do is have folks preemptively peeing all over peoples’ parade in regard to a series of movies we know nothing about. Consider this your only warning.

24. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I am looking forward to seeing what they develop and I am quite optimistic.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree I might not like GOT, but I will definitly give whatever they make us a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.