main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Would it be smarter to take a train?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The best thing about Hollywood is the Hollywood Bowl. Everything else is a reminder of L.A.'s stark class disparities.

Edit: Trains suck here so it might take you longer than driving.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    SuperWatto and tom like this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That’s true. I could even provide you with a room in a country I actually live in.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    SuperWatto likes this.
  4. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    What I'm hearing you guys say is that I should actively try to discourage her from wanting to go to Hollywood.

Diggy likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    See, also.

[​IMG]

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Went to the nerd bar last night for Supernatural trivia. Surprised the hell out of us to go from 3rd place to winning. Was so much fun. And just found out 42 Lounge is moving next month to a larger place. Will have food, a patio and more beers. They're planning more parties as they'll have 2 large party rooms. SO excited!!

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I work in San Francisco and live in the area @SuperWatto

I recommend staying that the Hyatt Regency in the Embaracadero Center on Drum St, as it's away from the busy tourist area of Union Square and thus quieter at night. Moreover, all of their rooms have a decent view as all the rooms are on the outerside of the hotel; whereas, the rest of the hotels you might be stuck in an inner room of the hotel where you get a view of the court yard or something you don't care to look at. Additionally, right outside of the Hyatt Regency is the less crowded Cable Car line, as well as the local metro. However, if you rent a car, don't park at the hotel. The parking garages nearby are about $30 day, whereas the hotel is about $60 per day. Also, Hyatt Regency is near the waterfront where you can walk along with the family. The bay bridge is beautiful at night.

Don't take the train down to LA. It will take about 8 hours. If you can, look into Southwest Airlines or perhaps Frontier as it's only an hour flight. And don't fly out of SFO to LA. Instead fly out of Oakland and to Burbank. It's cheaper and less crowded on both ends.

Let me know if you any other questions.

Darth Punk , SuperWatto and Diggy like this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A thoughtful and considered answer. Why are you trying to make the rest of us look bad?

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks Prime! That sure helps. I'm going to check it out.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Not a problem.

Also, driving to LA is preferable than the train. There are two main routes. Highway 5, which is faster, but you'll be treated to 5 hours of desert like landscapes. Highway 101, is longer has more coastal views but probably only amounts to about 1 or so on a 6 hour drive.

If your daughter wants to go to Alcatraz, better buy tickets now as they usually sellout weeks in advance.

If you need any recommendations, just let me know, bestie.

SuperWatto likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is that still there ?

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Last I checked. It's a famous landmark and a popular concert venue. The acoustics are great. The parking is not.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Also a benefit of the Hollywood Bowl: you're allowed to bring in your own booze. They treat adults like adults there... it's really nice.

@SuperWatto

You'll get a nice view of the Hollywood sign from the freeway when stuck in traffic. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hollywood is disgusting, man, but I get why she'd want to see it.

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    no need to use quotes unless you fundamentally disagree or you are afraid of the poopish connotations. it is dumpy. but yes, if you can get out into some secluded areas it is much less dumpy an experience. but never, ever shoot your baby batter onto dried lava. i learned that lesson the hard way.

tom likes this.
  16. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    besties. yesterday was interesting. i got called a third wave feminist by this guy at a bar! i hadn't even really said anything to him. but apparently i hate all men and will die alone because i sat with my arms crossed and apparently have a sarcastic face.
    i always learn so much about myself whenever i go out and meet drunk strangers.

tom likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Why thank you drunk sir! It’s not every day I get a compliment from a stranger! I spent a lot of time on my third-wave feminism and my sarcastic face!”

Juliet316 and Zapdos like this.
  18. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i just sat there with my sarcastic face and crossed arms and let him rage on for a good 5 minutes until he realised i wasn't going to change my posture or give him a response. he eventually ran out of things to call me since i didn't provide him with anything new to use against me, so he left. it's no fun having an argument if you're the only one getting into it, i suppose.

tom, DarthTunick , xblackout and 9 others like this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You handled that elegantly Maia. =D=

20. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i think i'm getting good at it. but i always run into at least one person (always a guy..) that has a problem with my face when i'm out. it's not a night out if i don't get at least one "you should smile" or "why are you so angry". dunno why it's so important to these strangers that i smile at them. does it hurt their ego that i'm not in fact trying to charm them, or something? i always like to rub it in by staring them down with my angry face, then let them see me smile when i'm talking to my friends. maybe they'll note that i can in fact smile, i just don't like them in particular.

but being called a third wave feminist because of my face was a first. at least it was original.

tom, Juliet316, cubman987 and 6 others like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Besties, my parents celebrated their 30th anniversary by vacationing to Aruba! All four of us were planning on going to the Virgin Islands, but after that horrific hurricane season, that fell through.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    do they ever say "Cheer up , it may never happen ." ? I hate that .

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Crossed arms and sarcastic resting face? I think I’m a third wave feminist, too.

I’m also a single parent for the next three days, thanks to a work trip. Boo.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Besties, I have a three day weekend next weekend! So excite

Healer_Leona likes this.
  25. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    hm no, haven't heard that one. i'll put in on my bingo sheet.