main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    And it was great!!

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know what JJ sees it as. I see no actual stakes at this point other than perfunctory ones.

He's gone (for now anyway).

Actually it was her innate connection to the Force of which she had no idea but in mere hours she goes from that to TLJ where she fights way better, saves Ren, takes the Lightsaber away from him again (he's knocked out) and with the books that whisper the Force to her she will have astounding power that will overwhelm him by all rights when she actually does some training. With no training at all she is already past him.

Which there is no indication he will ever get over. I doubt they are going to change either of them now. Maybe they will both be virtually un recognizable in the next movie but that seems unlikely at this point. They didn't grow them to any real significance they simply adjusted what was there and added or subtracted things from TFA with little to no story.

It had no serious effect at all.

Which is shown to be totally irrelevant to her.

He's a terrible leader who can't even take out a handful of people. He lucked into taking out Snoke then Hux who was shown a fool throughout TLJ was suddenly tactically smart out of nowhere making Ren look like a total incompetent. He obsesses over the Lightsaber then when Luke has it on Crait he doesn't even recognize it as the one just destroyed.

Changing and growing Rey has been just about the last thing on the movies minds for two entire episodes now. Any growth she got in TFA was taken away and done over again in TLJ or completely forgotten. Rey has also been relegated to support player for Ren so to establish her as anything but an instrument of the Force which is where she is now means spending a ton of time to recraft the character to give motivations and purpose not yet seen. It's hard to work that into a single movie with little support from the previous two movies.

Imagine if Anakin had been an idealized and completely likeable hero (that Rey is) for TPM and AOTC in terms of character and story then in ROTS the whole movie suddenly switches to being Anakin-centric and out of nowhere he is a completely different character with motivations not hinted at before. This is done just because we know that he has to become Vader but there is nothing in TPM or AOTC that even hints that this would at all be possible.

Can a writer do it? Sure. Does it make any sense? No.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    It still shows she is NOT the all powerful character you are making her out to be.

Nope, the movie flat out states that Kylo was so unbalanced he was vulnerable at that time she defeated him. In TLJ she actually get's some real guidance and uses that, her years of fighting on Jakku, and the link between her and Kylo (Confirmed by the Story group) to hold her own in a fight. In truth Kylo fought better than her during the Throne scene since he took on more people at once than she did. Now that she's closed the door on their link she's lost an advantage.

Yeah they did grow them. Kylo was a Vader wanna-be during TFA. Now he's moved past that, supplanted his master and become the Supreme Ruler. He might be bad at it for now but he has become his own villaing with his own goals (Destroying the past)

Yes it did, she helped Kylo Ren ascend to power, driving him further into darkness and handing him control of the largest military faction currently in the galaxy. That is NOT good at all.

Incorrect, she came to Luck seeking guidance and it's only at the end when she embraces his example that she succeeds at something on her own. She's still got a long way to go.

This I can't agree with at all. The majority of the film focuses on Rey, it's her interactions with both Luke and Kylo that cause her to learn and grow and by films end, as she leaves with her new family on the Falcon, trying to connect with a surrogate mother figure it's clear to me that this is more her tail than Kylo. Heck, even her shutting the door in Kylo Ren's face at films end makes it clear who the focus is on in the end. Rey like our other heroes actually learned from her mistakes...Kylo did not.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have just posted a new rules and policy thread. Everyone should take a look:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

This part in particular:

Make no mistake from here on out the staff here will be vigilant and absolutely unforgiving in its enforcement of this rule. Above all else these forums are meant to be a fun place to discuss Star Wars but for far too long they've been little more than a cesspool. No more. If you want to rant endlessly about how awful the films were or if you refuse to hear any kind of criticism about them I have only one thing to say... go get your own blog and post there. If you wish to engage in constructive conversation that remain respectful of one another then please stay. There is no middle ground. This is how it's going to be. To paraphrase a certain campaign slogan... We're Gonna Make the Forums Fun Again!

5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Doesn't shooting start in April or May? Aren't we just a few months away? Should we expect a press release announcing returning/new cast sometime before cameras start rolling on day one, so before Solo drops?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    This is pretty much Spy Pic season coming up.

Strongbow likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If Episode IX is indeed "the war to end all wars," as John Boyega described, hopefully Abrams is a bit more liberal with scale, which was a facet somewhat missing from TFA.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep, can't wait. I remember all the Canto Bight set pics. Good times.

9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe shooting is expected to start in June, not April.

10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...adox-star-wars-9-movie-industry-a8201316.html

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    At the Disney expo in Japan JJ confirmed that filming begins in the summer.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  12. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I just realized that basically what has happened here is that Lucasfilm has taken the chance on JJ Abrams being able to write a better story in 4 months than Colin Trevorrow could in 2+ years. Pretty remarkable when you think about it.

(not making any statement about this...I like JJ a ton...it's just crazy how one person had 2+ years and they didn't like his story attempts but they bring someone else in and only give them about 4 months to come up with everything)

kalzeth likes this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Perhaps that was the problem. A clear sign that Colin wasn't the right guy. They are confident JJ can turn out a story, finding the right people to help him out, and Colin couldn't.

They know JJ can get it done.

Skillzwalker and MrElculver2424 like this.
  14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    After 'The Book of Henry' I'm inclined to agree with Lucas Films.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    A big part of that was Carrie's death. She was central to CT's story. He had to basically start from scratch after that, and was having a lot of trouble. Book Of Henry tanking didn't help matters, either. Also, it's unlikely JJ will "come up with everything". He's just a speedy filmmaker, and gets things done fast. I'm sure he'll "borrow" plenty from various sources, including CT's script.

16. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I agree and if anyone could do, it JJ can. I am very excited for ix and glad he is back.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I am still waiting for the breaking news:
    Disney fires J. J. Abrams to put Colin Trevorrow back in place.

Hopeless and kalzeth like this.
  18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Perhaps that's why everybody has to run in a JJ Abrams movie? Nobody is allowed to walk lol

19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Keep waiting...

I really loved TFA, though I realize a small segment of fandom did not like it.

20. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I was joking. I like TFA a lot and was happy that JJ does IX now.
    Regarding Trevorrow: I found and still find the discussion about what leaded to him being fired still not fair (no matter if you like him or not)
    We simply do not know the real reason and with the death of Carrie he definitely had a problem with his entire story.
    Maybe he wanted to have Luke back in the story, or he was unable to rewrite a Carrie focused story entirely new. We will never know.

MasterPrince713 and kalzeth like this.
  21. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Oh I got that... sorry if that came off short... I'm on my phone.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Trevorrow and Connolly seem to be listed as co-writers on EpIX. Abrams and Terrio have probably reworked whatever they'd come up with, not made up an entirely new plot from scratch.

23. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Interesting, do you have a source?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think that there is any official list of writers who will be credited for the movie. It's way too early for such a thing.

If you mean the list at imdb, they tend to list all writers associated with the production at some point until they have an official statement of who will get credit.

Artoo-Dion and Lulu Mars like this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I was referring to IMDb :)

It does seem improbable that they'd reset the writing process completely, though.
    My guess is that, as with TFA, they've been writing a story from the ground up, using a lot of ideas from Trevorrow's and Connolly's story. I think it'll be essentially the same story, only told in a markedly different way.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.