main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN: Time for a mobile-friendly overhaul.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Boba Frett, Aug 31, 2017.

?

IS TFN READY FOR A MOBILE-FRIENDLY OVERHAUL?

1. Yes, displays like crap on mobile!

86.7%
  2. Nope, I like the 2005 appearance. We have a magnifying glass for it.

13.3%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like to look at each forum one by one and I can’t figure out how to do that in the update. I only see “trending” and “participated” and “unread” threads. I’ll probably use it to get my PMs because that looks the same but reading the actual forums themselves is a mess.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Was this the latest update from a week ago, 7.0.0? Because if so they've just moved things around- you can still get to the entire forum feed, you just have to press a few extra buttons now. Like, the JCF is under Groups, and then the forum list is under Forums.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Got it. Thanks Todd. :)

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ugh, why they keep trying to make it more inconvenient for use is beyond me...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I gave up on Tapatalk a long, long time ago; I've got no real issues posting via Safari when I'm on my iPhone... don't quite get why more people don't use their mobile browser instead of a terrible app.

Darth Punk , Jedi Knight Fett and EHT like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

You have an iPhone. Any decision has been lovingly made by people who know better than you do what you want, and therefore it's actually what you want. This is best for you, trust them. And juicing beats cancer every time.

(Why are you not on Android, do you just want your mobile telephony to be a subpar experience? Yours is the ancient Persia of phones, whereas an Android capable handset is the ancient and glorious Rome)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I used tapatalk like once and forever since I have just used my phone and the internet. It's not that bad.

8. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001

Ok - I've been looking into the options and I feel hopeful we should be able to deliver a new mobile friendly design by years end.
    I am speaking for TheForce.net, not the boards to be clear.

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Tapatalk doesn't work all the time. I tried it a few years ago; at least then, it was crap.

10. dustinroberts

Aug 23, 2001
    Please check out http://www.theforce.net for our new mobile friendly look.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nicely done, looks great!

dustinroberts and Bazinga'd like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    dustinroberts likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Add me in - looks great!

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Wow, both the forums and the main site look absolutely FANTASTIC.

Major kudos to those who took this on.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I don't know how this forum looks on other mobile devices, but this new version is pretty good on my android phone, except for the red Alerts indicator. It overlaps with the "gregmcph" and Search buttons.

If it could be shoved upwards a bit, or just put somewhere else, then all would be perfect.

That's my sole little whinge, and maybe it's a problem that only affects me. If so, I can manage.

16. dustinroberts

Aug 23, 2001
    RE TFN Main: Thank you everyone! It took me a while to figure it out as we do not use Wordpress and dropping in a new template wasn't an option. So I had to custom built the the template for our custom CMS and deploy it once it was up and functioning properly. I've been tinkering with it since last September/ October. ForceCast.net got a facelift as well, our website where we archive our podcasts, The ForceCast, Jedi Journals, and The Indy Cast. Again, thanks, I'm glad people are diggin it!

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks for the effort.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Responsive design is awesome. TF.N looks better than ever. Well done. :D

I guess the next thing will be moving to HTTPS? I've just done that on my website. Had all sorts of sleepless nights about it but in the end it went smoothly.

19. dustinroberts

Aug 23, 2001
    Yeah I saw something about that in a recent article. Gotta look into it for sure!

G-FETT likes this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, Google in particular are really pushing https now.