main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Luke sexist in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Droids. Free thinking beings who are slaves throughout the galaxy and everyone is ok with that. I'm shocked and appalled.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This is a light-hearted thread, but since your reply was a bit condescending....In many countries, certainly my one it's a crime to verbally vilify a person based on race. A hate crime is "a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership in a certain social group or race".

So racial slurs can be considered hate crimes in some places under some circumstances.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Probably should have dropped this warning before. Keep this thread on its specific topic, and dont start turning this into a political-social discussion. @anakinfansince1983

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Luke aint even the sexiest on Tatooine.

5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No he wasn't. This is reaching. What's with all the posts trying to make the OT characters look like jerks all of a sudden?

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    @wobbits

I really don't think that's @StartCenterEnd 's intention, and I can assure you as the die-hard OT fan I am, that I have nothing but respect and understanding for the Leia character, but these are first and foremost human beings and not supernatural saints. As human beings they are entitled to make mistakes, because we do that, too, right? Surely we can talk about that?

TBPH after the acting of Han Solo in ANH I have to wonder how we'll see him in Solo, i.e. will he just be as cynical and wordly-wise or will there be some kind of event in the upcoming film, that will explain the Solo attitudes he put on display in ANH?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Many of Han’s lines in ANH were written according to what was acceptable in the late 70s and early 80s, and I think there is a way to keep the cynicism and worldliness in his character without those lines.

Ditto with the idea that Luke is sexist in ANH—by modern standards he might be, but he was written according to late 70s standards, he wasn’t—and Leia would have pushed him into the garbage chute if he were.

Sith Lord 2015, wobbits and Lt. Hija like this.
  8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    They had left the trash compactor room, but there was a better opportunity to push Luke...

[​IMG]
    ;)

Sith Lord 2015 and Master_Rebado like this.
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I wasn't implying they were saints without mistakes. I am well aware this is a fictional character in a fictional universe. My comment was frustration based in relation to the amount of threads and posts I have seen recently regarding this practice. It seems to have become a cool trend to analyze every single thing the OT characters did/said and trash them. Especially with regards to Han and Leia in defense of Kylo. This comment of Luke's the OP brought up was very minimal and a very tiny thing to nitpick.

In regards to Solo, I expect to see some sort of life experience/event that begins to form the cynical Han we meet in ANH. It is a younger Han's story so I figure there will be a difference in personality.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I see, and don't like it either. If someone feels that the OT characters were somewhat poorly written that then should have been encouragement to do better, but not to come up with lame or bad excuses at the expense of the OT characters or story elements. [face_sigh]

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Some people seem to think that political correctness is a philosophy that we're compelled to define everything and everyone with, no matter the context. Not everything is political all the time. Things that are political, when there is a political context in which to apply the correct , i.e. fair, treatment of people and things, is when political correctness is relevant.

I guess some think that by doing so it somehow discredits PC.

12. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Such true words and seen that occur on here a LOT.

The characters of A New Hope all are written from their time and of course take on character traits that their creator wanted them to have,be it naive,mercenary,cynical,hopeful or plain evil.

Their dialogue is of course meant to convey to the viewers a part not all of who the character is as an individual.

Luke if he was sexist would've been thus from his very limited contact with the outside world and based on whatever limited information available to him on Tatooine.

Uncle Owen did not seem like the touchy feely Father figure type who'd have talked to Luke about how to conduct himself around Luke's female peers.

13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    There are valid arenas for PC. A suicidally foolhardy ad hoc rescue attempt aboard a planet sized battles station isn't one of them. Han isn't erecting a glass ceiling here by systematic, institutionalised denigration of her's and every other princess's gender. Hence why Leia responds in kind.

14. Conspirators09

Conspirators09 Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2018
    No. I think we're way overthinking this one.

AndyLGR and Master_Rebado like this.
  15. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    No I think Han was written perfectly as he was a rouge and scoundrel ie: the archetypal playboy. There was no way to get that across if he was some emasculated PC character who was just "cynical" and "wordly."

And to say Luke is "sexist" by modern standards is laughable, he was the boyish everyman/nice-guy stereotype. There was nothing but respect/gentlemanly attitude toward Leia in their interactions. He never said/did anything to indicate he did anything but highly revere and respect her as Princess.

OP is purposely creating controversy where is doesn't exist.

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This has the potential to descend into chaos. Lets go back in history and reanalyse everything from a modern day totally different PC driven perspective.

Whilst we're at it, what about the rights of the driods? Fitting them with restraining bolts.

17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    And let's not forget all the other discrimination in the saga. Han ("slimy piece of worm-ridden filth", "fur ball...) and Leia ("walking carpet") are extremely "speciist" (is there such a word?). So is Obi-Wan in TPM ("another pathetic life form"), Cliegg in AOTC ("vicious mindless monsters"). Han is also ageist ("old fossil"). Leia definitely is heightist ("short for a stormtrooper"). Ben in ANH discriminated persons with (possibly) low IQ ("weak-minded"). I really think Disney should remake ALL SW episodes to comply with 2018 social sensibilities. The way they are now is simply unacceptable and highly offensive! All SW films should be removed from the public and be replaced by PC versions. Most of us fans can not tolerate the extreme sexism and other offensive talk and behavior in those movies any longer.

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    @Sith Lord 2015
    That would be a great idea for a new thread in the Saga section. :D

Let me add Threepio's "disgusting creatures" Jawa remark to your list.

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh yes, forgot that one. Also, there are no ramps in docking bay 94, so R2 has to use the stairs to get to the Falcon. Clearly the Mos Eisley government or spaceport authorities were discriminating against R2 units or other beings with no feet when they designed the docking bay!:mad:

Lt. Hija likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And we’re done here. Feel free to use the Senate Floor to complain about “2018 social sensibilities” . Do not open such a thread in Saga.

@Bazinga'd

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Bazinga'd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.