main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Currently doing an Indiana Jones marathon.
    Raiders is still as great as ever, it's a masterpiece imo.

Had fun watching Doom again, although it is very different from Raiders tonally. The ending scenes on the bridge are amazing.

I'm about 30 minutes into Crusade. Love the prologue with River Phoenix. I've always ranked this one second after Raiders.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    And I’ve finally stared catching back up on my MCU marathon.

MCU marathon - Week 4

Thor

I really enjoyed this one. We get introduced to Thor, played perfectly by the charming Chris Hemsworth. We instantly see how cocky and eager he is to fight without putting in much thought, then we see some great character develop as he’s stripped of his powers until he redeems himself after growing more mature. His time on Earth was really enjoyable to watch with some really funny moments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The supporting cast was fantastic. Jane Foster, Erik Selvig and Darcy Lewis complimented him really well on earth. I can’t wait to see them all together again in the sequel. Loki was a good villain, but I remember it wasn’t until Thor 2 when I actually started really liking him. Heimdall, Lady Sif and Odin were awesome. The Warriors Three were awesome too, but seeing them again reminds me how annoyed I am with how they handled them in Ragnarok. Heaps of great characters!

The action was decent, but by watching these films again now you can see just how much the action has improved over the years. My favourite shot in the whole film was when Heimdall went to strike Loki down but got frozen in place.

8.5/10.

MCU rankings

1. Iron Man - 9/10
    2. Iron Man 2 - 8.5/10
    3. Thor - 8.5/10
    4. The Incredible Hulk - 7/10

3. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    No, I don’t spend all day watching movies!

I, Tonya

Just give Margot Robbie the Oscar already! She gave an amazing performance as the controversial figure skater Tonya Harding. I really enjoyed this film. It’s not something I would’ve originally been attracted to, but I thought the trailer was decent and gave it a shot. I’m so glad I did. It was a really, really well made film. You don’t have to care about the subject matter at all to get the most out of it. There’s a really solid story with a lot of shocking moments and a bunch of controversial characters, all of which were really well acted, that bring the film to life.

I love the way they handled this story. It was a big thing on the news back in the day with huge controversy surrounding it, and the film does a fantastic job at showing that no one in this story is innocent and not everything can be proven true or false. It sort of let’s you have your own opinion on it. I loved the use of fourth wall breaking. It was a really clever way to add some narration to the story and let the characters give you their own personal opinions on what really happened and what didn’t.

The editing and cinematography were really good and stood out quite a lot for me. The soundtrack was fantastic as well, which isn’t something I expected to stand out going into this film. The only thing I would’ve changed would be to edit down the amount of times Tonya and Jeff broke up and got back together. It did start to get a bit repetitive, and not all of it needed to be shown. Apart from this is was a really enjoyable experience from start to finish.

8/10.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Ok, maybe I do spend all day watching movies.

MCU marathon - Week 5

Captain America: The First Avenger

I was really looking forward to this one. This was a fantastic origin story for Captain America. In fact, I think it’s the best origin story in the MCU. They handled everything so well and got the character spot on. Captain America has, and always will be, my favourite comic book character. I can’t even describe how perfect Chris Evans is in the role.

Like Thor, this film had a huge cast of fantastic characters. Agent Carter - Badass. Colonel Phillips - Awesome, with some of the funniest lines in the film. Dr. Erskine - Really likeable. Howard Stark - What a cool dude. I’m glad we got to see more of Dominic Cooper’s portrayal of him in the Agent Carter TV show. Red Skull was great, but he didn’t do anything to make him stand out that much among the other MCU villains. I hope we still get to see more of him.

[​IMG]

There was some cool action thoughout the film. Some of which was shot really nicely, especially that montage sequence. There’s nothing I love more than seeing Cap’s shield richocheting into an enemy’s head. Cap’s action has always been done incredibly well, and I’m going to be talking about it a lot more when I get to the sequel. The scores have never been the MCU’s strongest point, but the scores in Cap’s films are great.

9/10.

MCU rankings

1. Captain America: The First Avenger - 9/10
    2. Iron Man - 9/10
    3. Iron Man 2 - 8.5/10
    4. Thor - 8.5/10
    5. The Incredible Hulk - 7/10

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Jordan1Kenobi IMO Captain America: First Avenger is the most underrated movie in the entire MCU. And "The Star Spangled Man w/a Plan" should've been nominated for an Oscar.

Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)
    - Plot; There's a showdown... in Little Tokyo.

Taking a different approach to the standard "buddy Cop" formula, Showdown in Little Tokyo sees two mismatched partners start off hating one another only to slowly gain a grudging mutual respect that ultimately turns into friendship. Oh, wait.

The components for a serviceable buddy cop film are here, but the whole thing plays like it was edited w/a Samurai sword (and in fact the studio did demand a series of cuts, bringing its runtime down to a brisk 79 minutes w/credits). The result is less a movie and more of a series of vignettes set to an irritatingly redundant score. For their part, buddy cops Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee bring the physical goods and do their best to bond despite having worse chemistry than Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi. The always good Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa does what he can w/his paper thin baddie and a young pre-Wayne's World Tia Carrere melts the screen as the token love interest. Sadly none of that is enough to salvage this clunky genre bottom feeder. - 4/10

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Captain America The Winter Soldier (2014) I think I've explained vast amounts of times why this is my most favorite MCU movie.

@Juke Skywalker agree about Cap song!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Has anyone seen CHiPs ? yeah they did a remake of it .

it's not great but its played for laughs a bit like 21 Jump St. Michael Pena's in it , I always like him in stuff , and some of the action scenes are damn good .

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Planes 2: Fire & Rescue showed a few clips from the TV show CHoPpers, with Erik Estrada voicing a helicopter. Pixar nailed it. Funniest part of the movie, IMO.

EDIT: Juke, thanks for the earworm for the day. And I didn't get you anything. :(

Master_Lok and Juke Skywalker like this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    @Sarge Giving the gift of Cap is reward enough :D.

Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :)[face_flag]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Had so much fun marathoning the 4 Indiana Jones films yesterday! I need to do that more often.

So the last movie I saw was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I enjoyed even more on my second viewing. It's quite good, not sure why it's so unpopular. The snake gag was cringeworthy and the sword fight on the moving jeeps was rather odd, imo, but overall, I liked the cast, Harrison was great as always and it was neat to have Marion back again. Cool story, I can tell GL wrote a lot of it, and the score is great. Cate Blanchett was really cool too.

My rankings of the four films didn't change after this marathon, except that Crystal Skull has moved up slightly, although not enough to take third place yet.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. The Last Crusade
    3. Temple of Doom
    4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Transamerica (2005)

Felicity Huffman got an Oscar nomination for playing a transgender woman. She's excellent, and the movie is pretty good too.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    If you swapped 1st and 2nd you’d get my order. Really amazing series. Are you looking forward to the 5th one next year? I know I am!

PCCViking and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Re-watched Iron Man 1 for the first time in a LONG time, and yeah. It holds up pretty damn well. Aside from some dated CG work, and a couple poor line readings Fromm Gwyneth Paltrow, I don't really have anything to knock. It's a great movie.

15. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Cool! You're the second person who told me that today lol.

Yes, it is an amazing series, and now I am really looking forward to #5.
    I feel like I have more to learn about #3 and #4, which I've only seen 4 and 2 times, respectively. I've seen Raiders over 20 times and Doom over 10 times.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  16. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    The Last Crusade is my 5th fav film of all time. I love the father/son relationship. Sadly it doesn’t work as well in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I don’t know why they cast Shia LaBeouf.

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Believe it or not, he was seen as a good get at the time. Coming on the heels of Transformers, he was Hollywood's newest "it boy". He'd also worked w/Spielberg, who was a producer on Disturbia and Transformers, so he had a foot in the door.

Whenever I revisit KOTCS I tend to initially get lured into that "It's not as bad as I remember" mindset because for me the first half kinda works in fits and starts. But once they hit South America it begins to careen inexorably toward the abyss.

My personal ranking for the series is the "popular" ROLA, TLC, TOD and KOTCS, w/the first two occupying slots in my all-time top-10. Despite a few remaining quibbles I've grown to appreciate TOD more and more over the years and admit it's always suffered more by comparison than its own merits.

W/2 all-time classics and a 3-to-1 hit to miss ratio, the Indiana Jones series actually has a substantially higher batting average than the Star Wars saga for me. Wow.

AndyLGR likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Captain America the MCU film should get an Oscar? This is why Donald Trump is president.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    MCU marathon - Week 6

The Avengers

This was the coolest thing ever when it came out, and held up well for many years after. It’s still one of my favourite films, but because of how amazing the MCU films have been lately, The Avengers has dropped in my rankings. The new films are just technically better.

There’s a lot to like in this film. The cast and characters that we’ve gotten to fall in love with over the first lot of films all come together, creating one of the best ensembles of all time. Mark Ruffalo takes over from Edward Norton as the Hulk, and he’s really good. Edward definitely suited the role better if we compare it to existing material, but I feel that Mark brings more to the table and makes the character more likeable. By the time of Ragnarok, Mark is just amazing. Iron Man’s story arc that’s been building up since the start of the MCU wraps up nicely, where he doesn’t put himself first for once, and risks his life to save everyone. Captain America is still a badass. He literally fights gods and doesn’t even think twice about it. We get a proper introduction to Hawkeye and he instantly turns bad, which was a bold move, but once he snapped out of it, he was awesome. I really hope Hawkeye gets a bigger role in Infinity War and Avengers 4, or gets a big role in the Black Widow film, because I feel like he’s been underused in the MCU. Loki was a good villain, but like I said in my Thor review, it’s not until The Dark World where his character really starts to shine.

There’s lots of sweet action, but like I said before, it’s not as cool to watch now because of the stuff we’ve seen lately. The final battle against Loki and the Chitauri army is awesome. There’s lots going on with lots of funny and badass character moments. The score was also great. But yeah, it’s fun. It’s a whole lot of fun.

[​IMG]

9.5/10.

MCU rankings

1. The Avengers - 9.5/10
    2. Captain America: The First Avenger - 9/10
    3. Iron Man - 9/10
    4. Iron Man 2 - 8.5/10
    5. Thor - 8.5/10
    6. The Incredible Hulk - 7/10

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah KOTCS goes downbank fast for me too once they go to South America. There were lots of things I didn't like about it, such a shame as I was so looking forward to it, especially seeing as the Indy OT are IMO 3 of my favourite films ever. For me they got the MacGuffin wrong, I just didn't care about it or could get in to what the point of it was, the dynamic between Indy, Mutt and Marion is way too comedic, the waste of a character that is Ox, too many heroes together at the end, Mutt taking too much of the action to name a few of my gripes.

I think times been kind to TOD, I don't watch it anymore with a comparison to Raiders nagging at me like I used to, but in reality I don't think theres much between TOD and TLC. TOD seems to get the rough end of the wedge, yet even so TOD is still one of the best action movies ever made, its just that the original was such a classic. Its still so much better than many actions films IMO. The same applies to ROTJ, always looked upon as the runt of the OT, yet that film is fantastic, its just being judged againt 2 of the best films of all time that came before it.

I watched TLC recently actually, great film. Made even better by the father / son dynamic.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    W/the action moving to the 50s, I get choosing a MacGuffin that ties in w/the predominant B-movie genre of the era (aliens/sci-fi), and the potential to weaponized it was clear enough. I suppose it could've worked more effectively in a better script. That Father/Son dynamic that worked so well in TLC just doesn't here. Again I think a lot of it comes down to poor writing, but Ford and LaBeouf also don't share that magical chemistry that Ford and Connery had. How they mishandled Marion is a flat out travesty. You wonder if writer David Koepp had ever even seen ROTLA.

The TOD/ROTJ comparison is a good one. In both cases their "flaws" are mostly relative and when compared to other entries in their respective series, and particularly to other films in their genre, you gain a new appreciation for them.

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Star Trek - Into Darkness. I had seen the first and last films in the, trillogy? (Not sure if more are going to be more). It was very good, I really love how Zachary Quinto portrays Spock, he is very good, and perfect for the role. The story was also very good. It is very hard to pick a favorite out of the three, as they are all very good and made to a high standard.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    AndyLGR likes this.
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I actually can't believe that when they were making this that no one involved thought 'lets hold on a minute here' when it came to the chemistry between the characters and how they were being portrayed. I was cringing when watching it. Their rubbish attempts at humour, the light heartedness with which they treated Marion, her son and their relationship. They only just stopped short of breaking the 4th wall and winking at the audience when Mutt was doing all the action and saying "see that, chip off the old block right there".

For me both films (TOD / ROTJ) were defining moments in the action adventure genre in their structure, which I think could be argued were both groundbreaking in that regard at the time and they really set the template for action movies to follow. But they are very good films to boot, its just they are / were being judged against bona fide cinema classics.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Will Karen Allen be back for the fifth one?