main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Surprising Facts/Stats About Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Palpadious, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Sorry, just to clarify - what I meant was that Rogue One was the first film where the lead, top-billed actor (Felicity Jones) had been in Doctor Who. Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Alden Ehrenreich haven't.

Martoto77 likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Peter Cushing is, arguably, top billed in the first Star Wars movie.

I know the big three appear above, but PC gets his own berth. While Mr Genuine Class gets "AND..".

Those are the kind of arrangements you see when ALL the actors involved receive "TOP" billing. :D

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, they haven't yet. Since the 2005 revival, the series has attracted bigger stars and more press outside the UK. We may yet see them on the series, if only in a cameo. (Hmmm...Mark Hamill as a new incarnation of the Valeyard? Or maybe Ewan MacGregor as one of the Brig's ancestors?)

I found this out from "Star Wars Insider": Luke's cool Alliance flight jacket from the end of ANH was a retooled Moonbase Alpha jacket from "Space:1999".

Lt. Hija and Lulu Mars like this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Bossk's spacesuit in ESB was a reused costume from Doctor Who's 'The Tenth Planet':
    [​IMG]

5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Nope! During the Sarlacc battle in ROTJ Han's vision slowly returns and he recognizes Boba Fett. He calls out his name not just once but twice, as if surprised to see him there... "Boba Fett?? BOBA FETT!!" It may be difficult to hear because of the battle going on but it's there. I'm not posting any YouTube links here. Anyone interested can easily check for themselves. Unless of course they removed that in later versions. The line was there both in the original 1983 release, LaserDisc as well as 2004 DVD.
    Let's see if I can find other surprising facts:
    - ESB (one of the "darkest" episodes) is the only SW movie where no major character dies. I have mentioned this before in other threads.
    - AOTC is the only one where the camera pans UP after the opening crawl.
    - RO is the only SW movie where place names are displayed on the screen (unless they are in TLJ as well).
    - The TPM end credits soundtrack is the only one to end not in music but the sound of Vader's breathing.
    - The AOTC soundtrack is the only one to include an electric guitar.
    - ESB is the only Lucas saga episode that doesn't feature Tatooine. It is also the only one where location shooting is limited to a single country (Norway).
    - ANH is the only episode without a ground battle.
    - Only in TPM do "kids"/"minors" play important roles.
    - Only in AOTC do we see a lightsaber that fails, doesn't ignite when activated (Anakin in the droid factory).
    - The only real "ocean world" is in AOTC.
    - TFA is the only one where we see the wreck of a crashed spaceship.
    - Only in ANH do we see a blaster fired set to stun.
    - ROTS: the only saga movie without a "monster", such as seen as a threat. ANH had the (unseen) Krayt Dragon, Tusken, Dianoga. ESB had the Wampa, space slug and that thing in the swamp. ROTJ had the Rancor, Sarlacc. TPM had those sea creatures on Naboo. AOTC had the worms in Padmé's bedroom, then of course the 3 monsters in the Geonosis arena. TFA had those creatures in the ship where we first see Han. ROTS doesn't have any of that kind.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    AOTC and RO are the only movies Wookiees do not appear in.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  7. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    E.T. was released in 1982, the year before Return of the Jedi.

It was only a few years ago that I realised Han was saying "Boba Fett" during the Sarlacc battle. The dialogue during that scene is less than clear throughout.

8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    OK, I know what you mean. But when you wrote his name is not mentioned in SW at all that would include ROTJ, regardless when it was released. True enough, it was not in ESB, but that is not the same.

9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I find it somewhat fascinating that Lucas didn't put Boba Fett's name into ESB because it had been the first ESB toy released and the first new ESB character mentioned in press releases, so that the character's name really didn't have to be spelled in the film.

IIRC, the bounty hunter in the Ord Mantell audio drama wasn't actually Boba Fett but rather an alien (possibly Zuckuss).

10. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    That's not what I said -

My point is the first time his name is mentioned in a film is not even in a Star Wars movie - it's in E.T.

I know it's mentioned in Return of the Jedi, but that was a year later.

11. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh OK... you are right

12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    The dinosaur skeleton in the Tatooine desert in ANH first appeared in the 1975 comedy film One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    There was supposed to be a scene where Obi-Wan got attacked by a Nos Monster, a giant sea slug type creature, on Utapau. It didn't make the movie unfortunately, but I think it was in the novel.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Count Yubnub and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - right after the clones shoot at him and he ends up falling a long way, into the underground sea.. He wakes to find his dragonmount- Boga - dead, and lets the water currents take him some way from the scene:

Some undefinable time later, Obi-Wan felt his head and shoulders breach the surface of the lightless ocean. He undipped his lightsaber and raised it over his head. In its blue glow he could see that he had come up in a large grotto; holding the lightsaber high, he tucked away his rebreather and sidestroked across the current to a rock outcropping that was rugged enough to offer handholds. He pulled himself out of the water.

The walls of the grotto above the waterline were pocked with openings; after inspecting the mouths of several caves. Obi-Wan came upon one where he felt a faint breath of moving air. It had a distinctly unpleasant smell—it reminded him more than a bit of the dragonmount pen—but when he doused his lightsabcr for a moment and listened very closely, he could hear a faint rumble that might have been distant wheels and repulsorlifts passing over sandstone—and what was that? An air horn? Or possibly a very disturbed dragon ... at any rate, this seemed to be the appropriate path.

He had walked only a few hundred meters before the gloom ahead of him was pierced by the white glare of high-intensity searchlights. He let his blade shrink away and pressed himself into a deep, narrow crack as a pair of seeker droids floated past.

Apparently Cody hadn't given up yet.

Their searchlights illuminated—and, apparently, awakened—some sort of immense amphibian cousin of a dragonmount; it blinked sleepily at them as it lifted its slickly glistening starfighter-sized head.

Oh, Obi-Wan thought. That explains the smell.

He breathed into the Force a suggestion that these small bobbing spheroids of circuitry and durasteel were actually, contrary to smell and appearance, some unexpected variety of immortally delicious confection sent down from the heavens by the kindly gods of Huge Slimy Cave-Monsters.

The Huge Slimy Cave-Monster in question promptly opened jaws that could engulf a bantha and snapped one of the seekers from the air, chewing it to slivers with every evidence of satisfaction. The second seeker emitted a startled and thoroughly alarmed wheeepwheepwheep and shot away into the darkness, with the creature in hot pursuit.

Reigniting his lightsaber and moving cautiously back out into the cavern, Obi-Wan came upon a nest of what must have been infant Huge Slimy Cave-Monsters; picking his way around it as they lunged and snapped and squalled at him, he reflected absently that people who thought all babies were cute should really get out more.

15. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    Obviously a SUPERBAD Decision.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...from a certain point of view.

Darth Voorhees likes this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This thread is becoming one of my all-time favorites on this forum. :)

Sith Lord 2015 and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Here's one: the original, theatrical version of ANH is the only movie in the series which features in-universe signage in English. Specifically, the "Tractor Beam Power" indicator that Ben Kenobi switches off. In all of the other movies, including the SE of ANH, this is changed.
    I know standard Earth numbers are shown in ANH (like in the bombsights for the Rebel fighters, and Luke binoculars), but I'm not sure if they appear in the other movies.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bossk was in Jabba's Palace and on Jabba's sailing barge but you really have to look hard for his arm or in the background to spot him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Battle droids have Earth numbers on their upper backs (at least in TPM) and in TFA, you can see them inside Poe's binoculars.
    There might be some in TLJ as well.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ahsoka in the early stages of the clone wars concept was actually called Ashla.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    -Until some point in the development of ROTJ, Jabba was referred to in scripts and ancillary materiak as a Hut, not a Hutt.
    -A dude in the ANH cantina wears that same Doctor Who spacesuit before Bossk ends of with it -- in fact Bossk is a complete kitbash as his head is a modified Saurin mask.
    -Similarly, IG-88's head is also in the ANH cantina as part of some sort of distillery apparatus.

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rex of The Clone Wars fame was originally going to be a Legends character named Alpha, but this was changed because to many characters in the show already had A names.

25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I needed to investigate this find further. Interestingly, this Imperial stormtrooper battledroid had been hiding in plan sight all these years. If you carefully check the screencaps - https://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back-1980/57/ - you can see his helmet and the top of his body to the left of Chewie (or where the Ugnaught is standing in the above picture).

Now - also something to add to this thread - stormtroopers did most of their talking in ANH, IIRC there were only two stormtrooper scenes in ROJ where they talked (when they thought they were about to apprehend Threepio and Artoo and later Han and Leia) and one or none in ESB.

The tone of stormtrooper voices in both ANH and ROJ is rather similar, in contrast the tone of the (supposedly) stormtrooper in ESB who is in Cloud City's droid labor pool Threepio enters ("Who are you?") sticks out like a sore thumb, IMHO, and always sounded to me as if it belonged to another droid (well, one would expect to encounter droids in a droid labor pool, right?).

I'm rather confident, that the stormtrooper who blasted Threepio wasn't a stormtrooper, but rather a stormtrooper droid, in particular the one we now discovered in the incineration room.

And that this stormtrooper droid ended up there would then require little to no rationalization: Trigger happy as he apparently was, he jeopardized Vader's scheme, so his human supervisor had him deactivated and he was the first to be send to the incineration room, but placed aside as the Ugnaughts probably thought he could still be of some use...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018