main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. I_FORCE_I

I_FORCE_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2017
    I think ending the Skywalker(s) in Star Wars is going to put the final nail into SW coffin. I strongly believe that. Look at the "hate" TLJ is getting because of how the Skywalker was treated.. and people want to "kill" them.. Good Luck with that LF. No one cares about your broom boi. The majority care about the Skywalker family. TFA used the nostalgia of Skywalker to real everyone back in and the TLJ threw that over it's shoulder... How is that working out for you LF? would you call the TLJ a success? Fiscally, yeah, but SW is beyond that, if they continue down this path soon the fiscal part will begin to become a actual issue. How does rebels do, in the grand scheme of things? in the grand scheme of things Rebels isn't on the radar.. it's a niche show. You want to know why Rebels isn't a phenom like Star Wars? There are't any Skywalker in it.. Rebels is about the "other guys" teams.. the mass do not care about the "other guys" they care about the Kings line of the Force. Go ahead and kill it off... LF. It will be your HUBRIS that will be the downfall of Star Wars for good and ever..

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The Last Jedi effectively ended the Skywalkers.

Ben has clearly chosen the anger of the dark side.
    Luke is dead, and Rey has taken up the Jedi mantle.
    Leia has effectively handed leadership to Poe.

The baton has been passed completely, and the "Skywalker Saga" will end with the Skywalkers not being the heroes in any way in the film. Unless JJ surprises us and gives Force Ghost Luke a remarkable moment of heroism.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I was so excited to see Luke's and/or Han and Leia's kids be Jedi in TFA. That trailer was so misleading "the force is strong in my family ... you have that power too". I hope Ben doesn't die so he can continue the lineage.

Rodie and sheri1967 like this.
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe it will all deppend on what they want to do with Kylo or if they want to do more movies after IX with the ST cast.

I could see an additional trilogy with Kylo and Rey as the main leads, but I could also see LFL wrapping the Skywalker saga with Episode IX and the death of Ben Solo, the last Skywalker.

5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Wow, I almost forgot about that trailer for TFA! What was that voice over about if not a giant misdirect trying to get audiences to believe Rey was related to Luke??? [face_shame_on_you]

6. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    This thread really sums up the main reason I dislike TLJ. NOTE: I overall liked the film but as it stands now, it can become better depending on how 9 plays out. Here is what I mean:

I do NOT like how the Skywalker line could end with the whole Chosen One prophesy, Luke's redemption of Vader, and Luke's legacy being reduced to a side plot which accomplishes nothing in a manner akin to the whole Canto Bight sub-plot. We all know that the CB subplot was a mission for Rose and Finn and to a degree Poe. However, then entire side plot amounted to nothing. The "heros" didn't do anything and the plot went nowhere. Now, having said that, should Kylo be the last Skywalker having turned evil, LFL risks turning the entire PT and OT into this type of plot.

Kylo is now the main villain. He is on the dark side fully. He can be redeemed. However, it is very difficult for me to imagine a scenario where he lives and is redeemed. He killed is father, is responsible to the deaths of countless millions, and is a very bad guy. So, to me, if he lives the Galaxy will kill him for his crimes. I can see a scenario where he is redeemed in an act of self sacrifice. That would work nicely. However, if this happens, Rey or some other nobody would presumable turn him back to the light and he would wind upo sacrificing himself for them. Thus, a nobody would come in and end the Skywalker bloodline. And as it would turn out, the entire PT and OT really never mattered. The Skywalkers would have not accomplished anything.

Growig up, the skywlakers represented to me the epitome of force users and Luke was the best of them. If it ends as discussed above, then that is for naught. Luke's redemption of Vader was for nothing because he created Vader 2.0. And Vader would not have brought balance to the force; Rey, a nobody would have.

This is why, I am convinced that either Rey is still a Skywlaker and misinformed (like Luke was in ANH) about her roots or that there is "another" Skywalker out there somewhere in the Galaxy. I really don't think that LFL will end the Skywalkers like this. IF they do choose that path, it would be a mistake in my opinion.

NOTE: I do like the idea that anyone from nowhere can be a hero. However, that should be explored in the new RJ trilogy instead of the Skywalker saga.

2 years to wait and see. . . . But I hope that it does not end that way for Luke, Leia, and redeemed Anakin. That would make the whole series a giant NOTHING side plot.

7. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    This makes no sense. That's like saying the heroes on WWI meant nothing cause we had WWII. Luke succeed in redeeming Vader and helping destroying the Emperor. And he failed with his nephew. Which means Luke is no perfect. Not in the way some of the fans who grew up with a predetermined idea of him wanted him to be.

And if the ST story is continued after IX, Rey will have some failures as well. Which would not make her ST arc irrelevant.

8. Dory Vader

Dec 15, 2015
    I hate to disagree so vehemently. But I must. If a random nobody comes in at the end to save the Galaxy from what Luke and Anakin did, then what is the point of the Skywalkers in the first place? What is their legacy.

Comparing that to WWI and WWII is misplaced. The series of events and the Treaty of Paris which ended WWI directly lead to WWII and the legacy of the Leaders post WWI is tarnished. Wilson is considered a failure of a president because the League of Nations failed so miserably. So FDR and Truman get the credit for solving the Europe problem and establishing the UN. The two cannot be compared because it is not a family story for WWI and WWII. Had it been one family, then yes. It would be pointless to have had WWI. If Luke created the peace after WWI and then it crumbled only to fight the same war decades later (which is what happened) then some random bloke came in to solve it, yes. . . WWI was a meaningless event. In actual fact, WWI never ended.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I say let there be new loosely based sequels after Episode 9 ends and put the skywalker story to rest. But of course I love to see Darth Vader in spin off movies. around the time he was alive

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Yes. I think that Kylo is the end of the Skywalker line. At least I really - really - REALLY hope that Kylo is not going to be out there spawning little Force-babies with Rey or some other unheard-of female. And I REALLY do not want some unheard-of Luke love-child showing up unannounced. I very much like to think that if Luke were out there fathering children that he would be responsible about it. He seems like such a serious kind of guy.

I suppose we can't rule out some unknown child of Shmi born after Anakin left and given up before she went to the Lars farm, but that's a stretch. And if there was, how about a Skywalker who is NOT sensitive to the Force? Something that people are not expecting.

11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Honestly, now with the announcement of this NEW series, plus, the RJ trilogy, plus the supposed TV series...it is honestly probably safe to say they're banking on IX being the end of the "skywalker saga" as we know it.

tbh i bet even the anthologies aren't gonna last since they're expanding the universe so much

Palp_Faction likes this.
  12. Dory Vader

Dec 15, 2015
    I have the opposite take on that. With all the new films announced, the Skywalker Saga may come to an end with 9. But I think there is a difference with the Skywalker story ending and ending the Skywalker name/bloodline.

From a purely business perspective, keeping the Skywalker name alive, means the possibility of making more Saga films in teh future. Killing off all the Skywalklers and ending the name/lineage rules that our completely. I do NOT think that Disney will do that. Why wouldn't they want to at least keep that possibility open for future films as part of the Saga?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

LITERALLY!!!! :p

Anyways, although I don't really feel all that intensely about it, I agree to an extent. I actually enjoyed TLJ, but IMO the further they deviate from the general storyline that got everyone into SW in the first place, the more people will eventually lose interest. Don't get me wrong, I am super stoked for all the upcoming things that have been rumored/announced so far. But for the first time I'm asking myself: "WILL I really be a hardcore SW fan forever? Or will I eventually move on?" That is a question I never had to ask myself, while the Skywalker line was still an active (and the only) part of the SW franchise. The idea of "star wars fatigue" is never something I've considered a possibility before....but NOW?????? [face_dunno]

The progression in fan interest over the next 10 years will be interesting......At any rate what I'm REALLY waiting for is the next massively groundbreaking and influential film series (aka the "next Star Wars") released in the future that's completely original, and creates its own ongoing fanbase around that. I refuse to believe SW is the last we've seen of something like that...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Unless Kylo has kids, then IX will be the end of the Skywalker story. I can't see Adam Driver wanting to do more beyond IX.

15. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    Im positive they wont end the Skywalker line, Im sure Ben will live (maybe in exile?) and go on to have children with Rey. I mean, their relationship was pretty much set up in TLJ.

Just because one of the themes of TLJ was about heroes not coming from a famous lineage does not mean they want to end the Skywalker lineage. The lineage/no lineage concepts are not meant to berate each other but go hand in hand and sets up a beautiful and complex relationship between Ben and Rey because they are each others opposites (Adam Driver even said that in an interview). You know what? It is so damn exciting that the lineage lies on the shoulders of a dark-sider, i love that theres uncertainty and a tonne of "will he/won't he be redeemed" discussions, it really puts us on the edge and i love that! Give me more drama!

Ep9 is meant to tie in with the OT and PT, therefore they will not end it on a depressing note, JJ has said time and time again that SW is a space fairytale, imagine watching ANH knowing it all ends in tragedy, how depressinng would that be? Especially for a saga that is all about hope and redemption. Additionally, it would mean Han and Luke die for absolutely nothing, they essentially died to try and save Ben. This is why im positive the Skywalker lineage will have a happy ending! :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  16. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    From a business perspective, they are not killing the Skywalker name. They will keep using it. That's why they keep calling IX part of the Skywalker saga, even when there won't be any charact alive holding that name on the film (although Luke is certanly going to appear, but he is not alive anymore). That's why they keep producing content about Luke, Han and Leia. Vader is the perfect example. He has been dead since 1983, and yet, he still appears in books, comics, tv series, spin-offs...

They can keep the door open to further Skywalker Saga episodes with Ben Solo, as he is the only Skywalker alive. And I would say Mark Hamill will certanly remain open to appear in future films.

I believe the thing here is the people who put business reasons for this are always the ones who are really invested in the Skywalkers themselves. As I have just said, it is clear LFL can keep producing content under the Skywalker name and at the same time have Luke die without any offspring, which seems to be the route they have chosen.

17. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Oh, I have no clue if they'll bury the actual, in-universe Skywalker name. You're probably right that they'll leave the door open for the lineage. I'm just saying that it's more likely than not that there are no immediate plans for Episodes X-XII as many have wondered and speculated about.

I'm thinking they're approaching IX as a more or less definitive end to this saga, with the knowledge that in 10-15 years they could potentially revisit the next generation and make a new trilogy.

18. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    I think we can assume that if Luke was talking to anyone in that trailer then it was Ben! :)

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Bob iger. the head of disney did say there is not one but a few.star wars tv shows heading on the Disney streaming. They say Star Wars is planned for 15 years, I reckon 30 thew 50 years. ^:)^:eek: Please don't let the magic die and make them worthy of remberance.[face_praying]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  20. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The Skywalker Saga repeates itself with every Trilogie, it's better to Stop with 9.

21. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The Skywalker name died with Luke. Ben might still survive though. If they ever do another trilogy they probably won't call it episode 10-12.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Kathleen Kennedy mentioned, before TLJ, that they were in discussions about what to do with the Skywalkers during the summer of 2017. In fact she said that Lucas planned for the Skywalker saga to end at 9 and at the time she was inclined to follow that idea. Now we have rumors about the GOT people doing new stuff on top of Rian Johnson's trilogy. I feel it's possible JJ will spare Ben Solo from death....but if ends up dead at films end because they feel it makes for a better story then that is what will happen.

Honestly, I feel this has to happen. Star Wars is already moving past the Skywalkers what with the 'Rebels' tv series, and two trilogies by RJ and the GOT crew. They can't rely on nostalgia forever so it's time to build something new inspired by what's gone before.

So for my money, the Skywalker line ends at Nine.

mlsw likes this.
  23. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    No reason they can't still do Episodes X-XII and have it be about the further adventures of Rey,Finn,Poe,BB-8 and perhaps even Rose as KK recently said before the announcement of RJ's trilogy. Episode X could come out in 2027 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of ANH. If you're gonna do something special for SW's golden anniversary why not an Episode X or the first in a new trilogy of Episodes X-XII with new long-lost Skywalker kids(the children of Kylo Ren or Luke's long lost kids with Mara Jade) or an older,wiser Rey,Finn and Poe?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That trailer was breaking the fourth wall. Luke was talking to us. The audience were meant to get all inspired by the new film and believe that we can all be Jedi. Or believe that we are all Luke's children. Which is a really weird marketing move.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  25. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I understand the message they are trying to convey. Call me nostalgic but I would truly miss the Skywalker family.