main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    My ps4 is hard wired to my modem, not on wifi. My internet is fast. I have zero issues with any games besides BF 2.

These issues are well documented and acknowledged by the devs. Talked about ad nauseum at EA's official BF forums. And if you check the patch notes for the upcoming patch, as well as previous patches, mentioned as issues being worked on.

Believe me, this is not an issue that is local to my set up. It's far and wide.

BF 2015 had the same issues, which were eventually worked out. But did crop up again from time to time. Always after patches.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not doubting you; it's just that I haven't experienced freezes and lags in any of the multiplayer matches that I've participated in so far.

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think a bit of is location-dependent, or to be more precise, over loaded servers in certain areas. My game (xbox) has nearly always run smoothly (nearly because of that 1 week back in December where it was bad) and I'm in England.

4. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    I should add this issue is mainly during Galactic Assault and Starfighter Assault. Not Strike or Blast.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I typically play in GA and HvV. So far I've only played SA, Strike, and Blast a few times.

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I love how Dice said before bf2 came out somewhere along the lines of 'BF2 will have constant change..' Look how long it takes for a damn patch..

Did they not say that??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    vw_jedi likes this.
  7. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    vw_jedi and B99 like this.
  8. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I’ve been a fan on EA/DICE games for long enough to know that those statements were little more than PR.

In saying that the hold up with the current patch is with microsoft and Sony.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh awesome! lol So constant change is 1 patch a month.. Last patch was dog crap.. Should of nerfed Palps instead of Boba..

Grievousdude and vw_jedi like this.
  10. Darth Visor

Darth Visor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 25, 2018
    I have near constant issues with lag in the game, but i also have frequent issues with internet as a whole on my PS4. Makes me wish that I could have a wired connection where I play.

11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I have my PS4 console at the other side of my house from the main router. I actually had my PS3 in the same place previously; and before I connected it to the same wired Ethernet cable as my desktop PC, I used the WiFi. Downloads and multiplayer games were much slower over WiFi than through the wired connection.

13. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    They should give it to Activision instead straight up. And contractually bind them to release more games than EA is.

Same here. Except it's below the router in my basement.

14. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I’m all for more Star Wars games. I don’t see it happening for a few years though.

Here’s the thing though - don’t give it to one developer/publisher. There’s plenty of dev teams out there under different publishers so why limit it to one?

I really like Battlefront and I think under a better publisher they’d actually be able to make the game that they want.

Till then we’re stuck with what we’ve got. I’m okay with that as I love the game and look forward to the new seasons. I’m just also open to other devs taking a crack.

15. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    After the last 2 Battlefront games I'd shed zero tears if this title died completely.

That said if EA loses the SW license, I'd do a victory dance. They are by far the worst thing to happen to SW games in the history of SW games.

Before they took over the license, SW games were varied, immersive, and fun.

Now in the past 5 years all we've had is something similar to COD mixed with having a root canal performed with no anesthetic.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    B99 likes this.
  16. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    It was useless to keep the contract with just one team. If two or three other companies had also been working with the licence, and at least two other games had come out before the first Battlefront, then another two before the second [not counting mobile games], the game side of things would probably be better off.
    As it is, two games in five years within the same genre [not counting LEGO Force Awakens which is probably the only saving grace of the new age so far] is just bad. Between 2003-2007, there were more than ten games, with various genres represented.

vw_jedi likes this.
  17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    EA has the resources to 1) pay the license fee for the Star Wars property, and 2) cover the very high costs of AAA titles expected of the brand. It's why they're making the games at the moment and why we wouldn't see multiple publishers included in the action. Business doesn't work that way. EA also had the ability to bring on several different teams and work on multiple games at the same time, so ostensibly you would see different types of games made by different devs.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked out for EA so far, their other big game got mired in production problems, took way too long to get anything done, and was cancelled. Remember that around this time last year we had 3 SW games in development - now we have just one (Respawn's).

Expectations for SW games are very high. "Why don't they just make Star Citizen Star Wars or Star Was Skyrim?" etc. The answer is that these kinds of games take years and years to do.

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The one corporation i'd trust with the license less than EA. Hell, i'd prefer Ubisoft.

19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    In their golden years definitely but they faded a lot in their later years and completely lost the plot at the end. Too many changes of leadership, changing plans over and over again. A lot of their latest games felt soul less.

1313 sounded promising but they couldn’t figure out what they even wanted to do with that game to the point where it sounds like it would’ve ended up like ME: Andromeda.

My opinion is let EA/DICE continue with Battlefront but end exclusivity and let other developers have a crack.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I can't wrap my around a studio with as many resources as EA only produced 2 console Star Wars games.

vw_jedi and B99 like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It really is so annoying when the game can't balance out teams when players abruptly leave in the middle of a match. I was playing HvV tonight when I was stuck with only one other on my team (versus four on the other). That's just not fair. They should just end the match, credit the team with the most targets defeated, and then return to the selection screen to start from scratch.

Grievousdude likes this.
  22. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    EA's Battlefront series is the definition of soulless. So it's not as if they've provided anything that's been lacking in later years.' So i'd love to see some other studios get a crack at SW games at this point.

All I know is a typical night of SW gaming for me used to be some Battlefront, then Empire at War, and maybe some Jedi Knight. All very different and pure unadulterated FUN.

Now it's grind away for crafting parts. Grind, grind, grind... Fun is minimal.

PimpBacca and bmickey like this.
  23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    So I guess the patch is Monday then.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    I don't know; I still have a good amount of fun with the game. I really don't think the game is soulless. It might not be what you wanted from a Star Wars game, but it seems evident to me that the team that made the game had a genuine love for the brand. I agree that I'd like to see some other studios have a crack at it, but I think you're being too harsh on the games. I have some incredibly fond memories of Battlefront 2015. One of my favorite gaming memories is me and my friends just riding on top of the ATT's on Endor and goofing off. I think I played something like 95 hours of the game and had a lot of fun with it. I know that Battlefront 2 does have a grinding aspect to it--one that I think was a mix of the developers genuine want to create enough content for players to be able to constantly be working towards something (since a lack of content was the main complaint of the first game) and corporate meddling to be able to sell lootboxes--but it also has a huge amount of map variety and a single player campaign and a lot of heroes. Criticizing its grindyness will always be a fair criticism until they fix it, but I do think there is a soul at the heart of the game. I just think a lot of people are so turned off by EA they don't judge the game fairly.

25. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    I like Walker Assault more than Galactic Assault, but Battlefront 2 improved on nearly everything else.
    I don't mind the grinding nature of the cards much, but I just wish each of the regular classes had a shared trait group instead of having to get the same cards four times.