main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    mavjade likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I tried to research this, and while I think I found Xenforo BBCodes more recent than what we had, I cannot guarantee that it was current...

There did not seem to be any highlighting capability any more, which was what I was investigating.

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm a web dev who's been running forums on various software since about 2002, and I know how this works from the user side. I just wondered if @Grimby and @Grahame have found a way to deal with this, because it's been a while. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What do the tags do?

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    In fanfiction, they add more details as to story genre: humor, action, etc. or characters included. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Cool. That reminds me that I need to checkout fanfiction sometimes.

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Is there a way to turn off drafts? I accidentally pressed a few quotes in one of the Rebels threads when I was scrolling down the page and it saved a draft with them all in.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You can't turn them off completely, but you can delete individual ones that are no longer relevant. Go to the thread in question, click in the reply box, click the floppy disk icon, and click "Delete Draft". I think they may also auto-delete after a certain length of time.

Grievousdude likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    A little late here, haven't been on the boards much since before the holidays, but it looks great! Can't wait to get active again in the coming months and explore the new forum!

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Not a problem, since a refresh clears it, but I am noticing lags between the thread update that the forum thread lists know about, and the last posting when you enter that thread.

Wondering if I am seeing things, and coming back out to the thread list, seems to clear the issue, but it has now happened enough times that I know that I am not imagining things.

I can't do screenshots, as the matter clears once I come back out to do a visual confirmation.

tl,dr - Walk into Twelve's (Peter Capaldi) TARDIS, and seeing a console from the Tom Baker years, then stepping back out to check, it actually is Baker's TARDIS from the outside.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Any news on horizontal rules and highlighted test? @Grahame @Grimby

Not even asking about thread titles this time. :p

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's on me, actually :p

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Then do it. Pwetty pwease? Can't tell a web dev that it's hard. :p ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Seconded and thirded! @};- [face_batting]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I'll get on it this weekend. With the rest of post-upgrade crap, it totally fell of my schedule.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. :)

I totally get that - so many times, I get the important stuff done and delay some random crap that - for some reason - means a lot to a couple of people. :p

17. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I see nothing has changed in terms of the truncation of older threads. What's the status on fixing that?

Looks good otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    It's best at this point to just assume that the truncation will never be fixed and move on. Sucks, but it's the truth.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How is the thread title editing issue getting on?

Turns out that I am **** at getting mine right the first time, so this is impacting me even more now.

Separately, my phone is finding that opening alerts is more of a strain on something, than other page navigation.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Any news on those horizontal lines and highlights, @JoinTheSchwarz? I know you're a busy person, so no pressure, but... ;)

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I gave it a try last weekend, but the new syntax is all ****ed up (main reason both the legacy tags and the original ones I added when we first moved no longer work) and I gave up after a few failed attempts. I'll see if I can find some tutorials or whatever. A bit maddening tbh.
    Same thing: I tried fixing this last weekend but I got no results. Right now we are assuming it's a bug in the software and hoping it gets fixed in the next release.

Good news all around!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, thank you for looking into it, anyway.

Part of my irritation at the situation, is not understanding how having something new (prefixes), is worth an established function (titles), being broken.

Standard operating procedure, used to be rolling back to before the error occurred, and then try and fix it.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yup, tags are a cool sorting method in general, albeit a bit of an anachronism. They were all the hype some 10-15 years ago, but with the modern search engines, including the one on here, they're nothing but useless database fields. Term relationships are cool on CMS', but when self-defined and meaningful in the context of the website itself.

Would the server, in any way, allow you to test how this would work without tags, multiple prefixes or both, without causing load issues?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  24. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Is there anything we, the users can do to help with this? I for one would love to be able to see my favorite fanfics on here (that aren't on the Wayback archive).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nope. The following is what I recall being told by someone several years ago, but take it with a grain of salt as my hazy memory may be playing tricks on me:

The issue, if I'm remembering this right, is that the database file provided by IGN containing the posts got corrupted, and they don't have a way to repair the file or get another copy of the file (IGN no longer has it). In theory, the right professionals might be able to repair the file, but the cost of paying a data recovery company to do that is several orders of magnitude beyond what a small outfit like TF.N can afford, so it simply won't get done.

Keep in mind that IGN basically kicked us off their system and in fact was under no obligation to provide TF.N with the data at all, so we're lucky to have the truncated posts. We could have ended up with nothing at all prior to the move if IGN had decided to be ****s.

Ewok Poet likes this.