main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Last Shot by Daniel Jose Older (Out on Apr 17, 2018)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 16, 2018.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    http://ew.com/movies/solo-star-wars-book-connections/solo-but-far-from-alone

Last Shot, by Daniel José Older

The author of Half-Resurrection Blues and Shadowshaper has penned this novel that connects three eras in the lives of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. “Part of it takes place before the events of Solo and focuses on Lando and L3-37,” Siglain says, referring to Lando’s droid sidekick in the new film. “Part of it takes place between Solo and A New Hope, and that focuses on Han and Chewie, and that’s where we get Sana Starros for the first time.” She would be the character, first introduced in the Marvel Comics, who claimed to be married to Han.

“Part of it takes place post-Return of the Jedi, and that’s where we see Han, Leia, a very young Ben Solo, and Lando come into the story,” Siglain adds. The cover is reversible — on one side is Han's silhouette, while Lando’s is on the other. There’s also a “convention exclusive” cover featuring L3 and Chewbacca …

“We bounce around through time,” Siglain says. “We always wanted to tell a story that had Han and Lando having one adventure after Return of the Jedi. At the same time, we really liked the idea of contrasting that with seeing them much earlier in their lives. A crime lord comes looking for the owner of the Millennium Falcon, but mistakenly thinks it was Han Solo at the time, but it was really Lando — which gets Lando mixed up in something else Han did that was Han’s fault. All these years later, the two of them have to right a wrong from much earlier in their history.”

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Plenty more to talk about this book in the future, but just want to clarify 1 thing.

There is only 1 book jacket. The book jacket is reversible. Han is on one side, Lando the other. So, no matter where you buy the physical edition, you get both covers. You can simply take the jacket off, flip it over, and pick the side that you want to feature.

No multiple editions. No multiple skus, or purchasing exclusive versions from multiple retailers. Buy the book, get both covers in one jacket.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Awesome. So post ROTJ section of the book will actually be post Jakku. Our very first book installment within that time period (after Jakku but still closer to Ep. VI than it is to VII).

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    This may be an annoying question but I'm curious...where does this novel fall on the Del Rey timeline in the front of the book since it spans multiple eras?

EDIT: Also, does the Han Solo side actually have that "flip for Lando cover" thing on it? Is it a sticker?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh I am very much looking forward to this.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Oh my goodness and I just missed the part where it said Sana Starros is going to be in it.Looking forward to it even more now.

Also come to think of it. Could this book also have Aphra in it???? Since Sana and her were a couple at one time and Han clearly knew Aphra prior to that Vader Down arc.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do we have a publication date yet?

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The facebook page says April 17th.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks!

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Dan they are guving us a mini journey to Solo with all this new material.

12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    This sounds great. Multiple eras, Han and Lando, post-ROTJ... lovely.

14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    It is a sticker, and it should be very easily removable. We've been testing them.

As for the timeline, think of Catalyst, or Thrawn. Those books break our general timeline rule which is "put it where the book starts". With those we placed them in the timeline where they make the most sense/the core or most important parts of the plot take place. I'm not going to reveal where Solo is, but expect it to be placed using those guidelines. Where it makes logical sense. Remember that the DR timeline is a tool mostly for newer readers, and is about giving a general grounding rather than an absolute exact recording of the timeline.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    This sounds great. Really looking forward to this. I'm sure it'll be a real good accompaniment to the movie.

16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    When it comes to timelines I generally place cross era books based on where they end

Eg: Lost stars begins a few years after ROTS yet ends after the battle of Jakku therefore it's placed firmly after Empire's End on my bookshelf

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Timeline wise I place novels at the point where the majority of the novel takes place. In Lost Stars case even though it started in about 11BBY and ended in 5ABY 90% of the novel still took place during the OT time period.

18. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Release date?

19. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    April 17th

Mods: possible to add that (and Daniel's name) to the title of the thread?

Revanfan1 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I asked the same thing above. Apr 17.

Edit - I can do it for you. And done.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Scroll up a few posts.

Edit.....two people responded while I was writing that sentence.

22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "A HAN AND LANDO NOVEL" is so beautiful. I was kinda hoping Solo was going to be a Han/Lando buddy comedy.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm excited about a new author. Never read his work before but the more authors the better. Most of the authors of the nu canon books have had two stories (luceno -tarkin, catalyst) (golden - BF2, dark disciple) etc.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but look at how claudia Gray went down after her debut!
    Bring on last shot!

BobaMatt likes this.
  25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Finally, we'll learn how Han met Sana....

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk