main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always had a sneaking suspicion that half the reason why some people here tend to exaggerate the degree to which Zahn paints the Empire in a positive light is because they've read fanfic.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I think Zahn just really liked his own characters, and tended to write about the good parts of them and gloss over the bad.

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm planing a Legends of the 5 Rings game that involve the players going into Yobanjin territory (primitive* mountain tribes seemingly inspiered by the people in the mountainous part of China) and am in need for inspiration on how they are going to be treated. I was thining to look at the writings by Marco Polo and Sven Hedin, do anybody have any other suggestions?

* by Rokugan standard

4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Currently having fun picturing this:

MercenaryAce, cthugha, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    KOTOR groups....AREN'T actual groups?

But...Guardian and Counselor!

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    My character, a couple of years ago during SWRPG: Jedi Consular with a blue crystal
    GM: *flips table*
    Didn't play that campaign for very long.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Guys it took me a solid minute to remember Ben Quadrinaros' name. I'm somewhat frightened. (Actually took me longer to remember Shak-Ti's name as well but that's not as disturbing as remembering Ben Quadrinaros. To be fair, she isn't referenced by name in the movies)

I'm trying not to attribute it to old age / killing brain cells with booze but just that there's so much new content it's going to take awhile now to pull slightly older ones from the recesses of brain.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    To help you remember Al, here is a lovely image of San Hill liquidating Ben Quadrinaros and all of his assets. Oh wait he has none. So he'll probably liquidate him and call it dianoga tea.

[​IMG]

...what?

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I want Ben Quadrinaros to be a childhood hero of Han Solo's and the true namesake of his son.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gonk Droid and Ben Quadrinaros really should be the next in line for "A Star Wars Story" film. Or a team up. And Doctor Evazan and Ponda Baba in a Hangover type film. Or, heck, okay all 4, Gonk, Quadrinaros, Evazan and Ponda in The Hangover. Yes, exactly!

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You who are fantasy RPG players might find this interesting

MercenaryAce, Vthuil and blackmyron like this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    "Well, I don't know anyone named Obi-Wan Quadrinaros, but old Ben Quadrinaros lives out beyond the dune sea. He's kind of a strange old hermit."

13. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I was more making a joke that the sheer quantity of Imperial apologist Thrawn-worshipping fanfic out there can give one a bit of a skewed idea of their source material.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Ben Quadrinaros was voiced by Guybrush Threepwood in those TPM-era podracing games. As good a reason as any to celebrate the character.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    the Lone Wolf maps have been fantastic so far.

16. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    He what?!

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Beyond that, I just learned today via Wookieepedia that Ron Gilbert was an extra in Ewoks: Battle for Endor.

BigAl6ft6, Barriss_Coffee and cthugha like this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Not to double post, but I just read the story "Lonely Robot on a Rocket Ship in Space" which was published in 2016, but presumably written in 2014. It involves its teenage protagonists playing a PS4 Star Wars Episode VII game (which has strong BioWare vibes) which includes references to the Coruscant Undercity and quoting from the Jedi Code. I think this is the first time I've seen a non-Star Wars story reference stuff from the Star Wars EU.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So the Assassin's Creed Origins Discovery Mode launched and it's pretty great with the historical tours, narration, and free roam of the map, but more importantly, it lets you play as 25 different NPCs while you wander Egypt.... from kids to Egyptian and Greek commoners and nobles, to Cleopatra, to Caesar himself. So naturally, I'm wandering around Egypt as Caesar.

Originally my plan was to play tourist Caesar and take selfies at the pyramids, until I realized that Discovery mode let you have your character interface with his/her environment as if they were an NPC.

So I spent the rest of my evening doing things like: screenshotting Caesar at a bar drinking wine, Caesar flirting with women, Caesar having stupid expressions on his face because he was drunk, Caesar reading a scroll in the Library, Caesar playing with a toy horse next to a child (!!), etc.

And then on one of my historical tours, they showed Pompey collapsed at the feet of Ptolemy and his men as the narration told us about how Ptolemy had Pompey beheaded. Except for some reason the NPC idle animations were still going on, so while Pompey is playing dead he.... scratched his butt.

I never, ever thought I'd see Gaius Julius Caesar playing with a toy horse, and I definitely never thought I'd ever see Pompey the Great scratching his butt.

...but there you have it. What a wonderful game.

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    PICS NAOW

21. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    The real question is if Caesar can ask the local Medjay “High Decision Garret?”

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Not nearly that in-depth, but here are a couple of scenes from mainstream television you might get a kick out of:

Note that the latter one was uploaded by Dan Wallace, who was understandably stoked to hear his book referenced on national TV.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, no, no. The real question is if Caesar mention that small gallic village that his forces has jet been able to conquer?

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I forgot too, the movie Free Enterprise also has a scene with two Trekkies talking about Shadows of the Empire and Prince Xizor.

jSarek likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

As you wish. Spoiler tagging all but the first for size.

Caesar with the purest bliss playing catch with himself.

[​IMG]

Caesar playing with a toy horse.

[​IMG]

Caesar with the stupidest drunk face expression.

[​IMG]

Caesar trying to be a smoothie (Orange Julius?)

[​IMG]

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Gaius Julius Caesar!

[​IMG]

I love this game.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and 10 others like this.