main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    They said hi to each other.
    That too in the 2nd movie.

Thats totally a lovestory for ages.

Yora, Lost_Hope, WebLurker and 3 others like this.
  2. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    While their interaction officially didn't occur until "The Last Jedi", they did meet in "The Force Awakens" on D'Qar and then again in the novelization; both instances especially in the novelization was flirtatous and awkward for both of them.

This excerpt is from the novelization:
    And here is the version from The Last Jedi (which is canon) and we still need exposition with the script and novelization which will be released in March.
    Furthermore, any type of relationship between the two is important because of thier positions in the Resistance and galaxy; Poe Dameron is the defacto leader of the Resistance, Rey the last jedi. They must work together to save the galaxy. If that relationship grows a romantic element may develop, but to completely ignore the circumstances around the meeting, the similarities between the two characters and the visionary elements is being completely unaware. From Poe's mother's wedding band to "I know" their are defintely elements of a relationship there (romantic and platonic)

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Well you would assume that they would have a working relationship on some level. And it would be weird to go three movies without formally meeting. The end of TLJ snugged that up so they can have conversations and the assumption of familiarity moving forward in IX.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    This is Star Wars anything is possible; and they had to meet as they are defacto leaders of the Resistance (Poe Dameron assuming command replacing Leia Organa as she passed the torch in the base on Crait, and Rey as the Last Jedi, Master Skywalker's role) as to the depth of the relationship, it's context and how it affects the heroes moving forward that's for JJ Abrams to now decide. I am just happy to see Rey was smiling at the end of the film thanks to that formal meeting. Regardless of the context of it and whether it had flirtatous or romantic undertones.

mlsw, Darkspellmaster and panki like this.
  5. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I just find the "matching scars = destiny" a little, well weird, because one scar is Daisy's and she'd have it regardless of any storyline.

If we went with this logic, my 11 year old is destined to find true love with Finn because they have matching scars embedded in their eyebrows.

*shrugs*

YMMV.

Yora likes this.
  6. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I would be happy to see more of Finn and Rose as well, even a friendship between Rey and Rose. We already know that Poe and Rose know one another from before so having the four of them hang out and go on missions together will not harm the screen time or story development in other media of any of them.

I agree with your thoughts on the force tree playing a part in Poe's force sensitivity.....maybe the force signaled to Luke that the tree must go to Shara Bey because of the greater purpose Poe had to serve in the future? The Shattered Empire comics definitely point to a connection between Shara mentioning her young son and Luke giving her the tree.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi @Dory Vader .... you do make some good points about Poe and Rey's relationship, and while it is still early to tell, there is something potentially sweet and upbeat about them meeting. Rey hadn't smiled the way she did at Poe through literally the whole movie, and a lot of people noticed it (I'm not taking away from the joy she felt on seeing Finn because that warm hug said it all). Through a large chunk of the film, she looked sad, weepy, angry or disturbed so it was like a breath of fresh air to see her look so pleased. While it does not guarantee them being romantic end game, the possibility is definitely there.

As for the ring, I love its backstory and while it is not discussed in the movie, it appears front and center in most promotional images. Books like Poe's Log indicate that he is a man on a mission against the FO and he really doesn't have time for a love life prior to TLJ. The non-english versions of the TLJ Visual Dictionary indicate the gender of the person he hopes to share the ring with is female. Poe does have a lot of female friends but Rey is the only person he actually meets for the first time in the movie (Rose having met him earlier in Star Wars Adventures #6).

[​IMG]

Great observation on the camera panning on Poe, Finn and Rey during Luke's statement about the future...while watching the movie, my thoughts went to ROTJ where Leia was a rebel leader, Han was a general and Luke became a jedi. The only thing I hope is that Poe continues to be a pilot or at least goes on missions like Leia did (on Endor and later Naboo)instead of being more like Mon Mothma and inspiring the team with her words (I don't mind Connix taking this up).

Anakin fell in love with Padme the moment he met her in TPM and ten years passed with him holding on to those feelings and them never meeting. Leia and Han barely interacted in ANH and yet they were flirting and kissing less than halfway through ESB with little build up to it. There are many romantic movies where people meet their future partners at the end of the movie, after having another failed relationship occupying most of the movie (500 Days of Summer being a good example). I don't think there is a set formula that every movie has to follow when it comes to how a romance must happen.

I have brought this movie up earlier, but one of Hollywood's earliest attempts to explore "The Red String of Fate" was in a 1954 film called A Story of Three Loves, where the girl meets her true love in the last 2 minutes of the story after a failed romance with another guy through most of the film. They even use the visual clue of a red ribbon held by both to show the audience how they are bound together by fate.

[​IMG]

I don't think there is a check list or fixed formula dictating that a pair need a working relationship or familiarity in two prior movies for them to embark on a romance by the end of the third movie.

There is one whole movie (episode 9) and hopefully more Poe Dameron comics (after April) to show them interacting, working together and getting to know one another. At least Rey and Poe are starting from a place where they are actually smiling at one another and seem to like the other, have enough common interests to get along and have common friends like Finn, BB-8 and Leia to bring them together....and having "matching scars" just adds to the cuteness of the pairing, though it is not the primary factor as to why people might see them as a potential romantic pairing. (Coincidentally my better half and I do have matching scars on the same eyebrow from childhood injuries so it happens in real life :p)

7. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I didn't knew about that. Interesting.
    But I pointed out how "weird" it is - imo - calling him the Black Leader, because as you may remember
    I believe the parellels between Rey and Poe all along TFA hide another huge detail:
    the duality Light/Dark
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...g-forward-in-ix.50047334/page-7#post-54763389

As said, to me, that is just too much and too consistent all along the movie to be random.
    It cannot be. I don't know what JJ is going to do in IX, maybe he had an idea in VII and changed his mind
    after VIII. But I just don't believe what he had done with those two in VII was "random".
    It's impossible, imo. The theme is there in every scene that involves/connects the two.

However, I don't think that was to hint he's going to turn evil.
    I believe that was the narrative of male/female principles working together.

The duality in SW is not only Dark Side/Light Side of the force.
    It's between the Republic and the Jedi, Luke and Leia as a male and a female twins, etc...

And I think that is what TLJ did as well. So in this sense it is consistent
    with VII: Poe and Rey are the Skywalker heirs by virtue - not blood - of all of this.

I also said, to me, their meeting on the Falcon is the closest thing we have in TLJ to the final
    scenes of ep. II and V. You even get R2 and C3PO on the back of Rey doing exactly what they do
    in those previous iconic scenes (C3PO is putting his hand above R2 head).

But again, I won't say that is because we're going to get a romance.
    I cannot say that.

But my read is at least that they are uderlining that these two hold the torch now.
    From Anakin (a jedi) and Padme (a senator) - a man and a woman no matter their personal relationship;
    to Luke (a jedi) and Leia (a rebel) - a man and a woman no matter their blood relationship;
    to these two, again a man and a woman.

With that being said, when it comes to the rest of the canon maybe I'm just trying to keep my expectations low.
    Because in all honesty, what came out about Poe it's... crazy.
    I mean, there's just too much to be ignored.
    But... are they really doing this on purpose? I don't know. That's the point.
    But if they are, I only see two chances: or he is Luke's secret child (just like Leia was
    Vader's daughter: he was born, between ep. IV and V - and that is how you won't make Luke break the Jedi's rules - but Luke didn't know it, he never met again the mother and she died soon after the birth. The Demeron adopted the child) or... crazytheorytime.

Since the issue #14 of the comic, the things that may hint to him being somehow force sensive, became more and more frequent.

But the callbacks to both Luke and Anakin are crazy.
    I didn't noticed the last one, so thanx... but I remember I noticed this one, in the previous issue

[​IMG]

He turned off the comms to focus, just like... Luke did in IV.

Then there's the thing that - if I have to believe all those things are meant to mean something - it's literaly insane, imo:
    From Poe's Flight Log
    [​IMG]

An infinite list of callbacks to both Luke and Anakin. Start to finish...
    The podracer -> Anakin
    had to finish my chores first. -> Luke. Same words of uncle Owen to him in ep IV.
    The singed tree -> a force tree burning? Luke ep. VIII
    patience has never been my strong suit -> Both Anakin and Luke famously had not patience.

Or it's a joke... or what the ***** it is? I don't know.
    I think we just have to wait and see.

But for the moment I try to hold onto what only the movies tells.

And I cannot go any further than there: the idea of blood vs virtue.
    And that is another reason, for me, to believe he's not Luke's secret child.
    One of the many (the other being, it would be read as Disney and LF trying to
    aknowledge TLJ backlash, and they won't do it, IMO).

Back to the Black Squadron/KOR... I don't know if given what VIII set up, these are things that may come into play
    for one simple reason: Kylo is now the Supreme Leader; Carrie Fisher died and we're going to meet - I guess -
    Poe as the Leader of the Rebellion.
    Even without the band of brothers on their backs the narrative works.

Finally... is there going to a big surprise in IX?

If there is something that all Abrams works have in common that is not the use of mistery boxes.
    It's that he always tries to re-write the tale that he (or someone else) was telling.

Felicity ends with a twist that changes the way you look at all the last season.
    Lost finale changes the way you look in retrospect at all the show.
    Fringe is a costant re-writing of the story. Same with Alias, even if not that much as Fringe does.
    His Star Trek movies, re-wrote the story of Spoke, Kirk and their crew, told by the show. He re-wrote all that story.
    Now we've got the Cloverfield paradox...
    And what are the first words told in TFA "This will start to make things right".
    Those words are pure JJ Abrams, I think.

Sure he may do a movie that close all the Saga giving some answers.
    He can.
    But I don't think that's all he's willing to do.
    First because when I think about ep. IX, given what we know and what was set up
    until now, I cannot see any "surprise" coming...
    We may debate if kylo is going to turn back to the light and survive or not.
    We may debate Reylo.
    But these are all things that... do not change the way we look at the ST or at Saga as a whole...
    No real "surprise".
    And above all, that is not JJ Abrams. Because JJ Abrams loves to re-write the tales.
    To make people watch with different eyes the previous chapters.
    And no: it doesn't have to be time travel. May do several alternative things.
    Especially if there is something hidden in plain sight that we haven't noticed.
    And if there is, I still think TFA holds the key.

8. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    @panki
    I agree I think all of our heroes will need each other, becasue I believe they all will be tested, emotionally, and physically and need to depend on the others possibly in certain situations to survive. Rose and Rey interaction would be a welcome sight, especially since Rey is all alone in that aspect and gaining a new female friend, and someone she can trust will help her grow as well.

Shattered Empire is such a good read I wish it longer than on four comics, it's one of those story arcs which gave some many character development angles you want to be able to see how it all unfolds immediately. Just the single idea of seeing Leia in a N-1 Naboo Starfighter flying along side an ace in Shara Bey (which shows thier bond) which carries over between Leia and Poe is great.

i think it was intentional foreshadowing and is supposed to tell the audience what to expect in IX, all the while telling Kylo Ren that he may be grossly underestimating the Resistance, and the resolve they have. I think Poe will continue to fly he may end up piloting the Falcon when Rey isn't around and using it a mobile command center for the Resistance (kinda like in RoTJ) this would also allow the heroes to remain close on missions if it went this way (especially Rey and Poe in that regards)

Good points especially the Anakin and Padme points; Anakin literally called Padme an "angel" in the TPM and then after basically no development was all nervous meeting her again for the first time in AOTC; so much so Obi-Wan even noticed.

This is a great literatary comparison and how sometimes, the film doesn't need to tell us everything; we didn't know everything (supposed to know) about Anakin and Padme or Han and Leia (we only knew the Padme/Anakin relationship because it was established decades earlier in a previous film without that if TPM came first we now would be in the same situation and same kind of conversation).
    I am highly anticipating April and the Poe Dameron comic it is such a fun, entertaining read that exploring the dynamics established in TLJ would be something we all could appreciate. No matter what the end of any relationship becomes; because it a relationship that can be help to the overall mission of the Resistance.

9. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Actually we've seen love stories work out like that. Various movies have a lead character be looking for romance and finding the wrong people for most, if not all of the movie, only in the end to connect to someone that they just meet in the second or third act of the film and the viewer has a "Ohhhh" moment where the light bulb switches on making them see that this is who the character is supposed to end up with.

One anime, and I can't recall the name right now, follows the lives of two different characters. The focus is the female character in this, and she and the male character cross paths without getting to know one another, only that they are at the same train stop. Whole show goes on with her dealing with all sorts of complications and then finally at the end of the series, for whatever reason, after she gets off the train she turns back and sees the guy that she'd seen across the way a few times, and something clicks for them. It ends before their romance starts, but the idea is there that these two are to be connected.

Another one is the Paperman short. The story has the two people that meet by chance, and he tries to get her attention with a lot of comedy, but by the end the two have met and are talking over pie. It's a love story because we know that they're going to become a couple.

Love stories come in all sorts of ways. So you can't just say "they say hi to each other, what a love story." because it's been used in other works before, and even in Star Wars itself. EU had Luke say Hi to Mara the first time and, while it took years, he admitted the first time he saw her he thought she was amazing. Very much like how Poe's face looks when he sees Rey the first time. Poe may not have had the most interactions with her directly, but we've seen enough visuals in the movies to show connections between them in regard to parallels.

I think it'll be more then just a working relationship. Poe has shown over and over he's the sort of person that makes friends easily, so I'm damn sure that he and Rey will become, if not romantic, then part of the Besties group that seems to be Rey Finn Poe and now probably Rose. No doubt that the two will, at the very least, find connections between them and I'm damn sure that the force tree factor will come back in some way.

The scars are there to show parallels between the two characters. Both Rey and Poe show force sensitivity, and both happen to have scars that are similar in nature. This is not to say "Hey matching scars equals romance" no, rather it's something that shows "Hey we have something in common here, cool bad ass scars!" Like "Scar bros!" or something like that (which I can oddly see these two dorks coming up with.)

The whole idea of it is finding similarities between them. Poe and Rey have that, a lot, and he has a deeper connection to the Skywalker line then even she does right now (although I'm honestly ReySky) with the connection to Leia, and Luke through the force tree and their family connections.

Which brings me to another point. Thank you @mlsw for pointing out the section in Poe's log and posting it. I knew that he had nursed the tree, but I didn't know how it was damaged. Remember when Rey leaves and Luke talks to Yoda. Yoda says she has all she needs. Now given Yoda's cryptic nature, one could assume he means just the books, and her own know how. But what if that isn't the case? What if he's actually pointing to Poe.

Humor me for a moment. Poe managed to nurse a burnt force tree back to life. This is not an easy feat as naturally the tree would also need someone with some greater understanding of the force to fix it's issues on the spirit side of things with it's connection to the force. If Poe is sensitive, then could it be that he may be the one that explains to Rey some of the ideas that she's missing? Nursing the tree could be an easy way to show how you fix something that was wrecked and how to bring it back to a better state of being. This could be what Yoda meant as, he's always watching things, and given that ghosts seem to have more power now, he probably could have shown up there to examine it from time to time after events in the movies. More over, it would also give a reason for a deeper connection between these two.

Ben-Solo and mlsw like this.
  10. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I adore their meet-cute.
    I ship them hard.

But my one comment is -- isn't Rey a little young for him? Isn't Poe Late 30s and Rey like early twenties? Is the GFFA ageist like that where middle aged women aren't romantic leads but stoic leaders, generals

11. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Poe Dameron is 32
    Rey is 19

It's the same age gap as played by Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher/Mark Hamill characters (Han, Luke and Leia)

12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I guess I'm thinking of oscar isaac's real age of 38 and Rey's age of 19.

They still make a cute couple tho.

13. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Daisy Ridley is 25. And will turn 26, on April 10th

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  14. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    But her character is 19 (Daisy is 25) at the end of TLJ. Kylo is 29 (Adam is 34) and Poe is about 33 (Oscar is 38ish). All of the actors are playing characters that are actually younger than their real age.

15. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Luke & Leia were 10 yrs younger than Han (they were 19 in ANH while Han was 29). Rey & Poe's age difference is 13 yrs since she's 19 & he's 32. Rey & Kylo's age gap is actually the same as Han & Leia/Luke (10 yrs).

Yora likes this.
  16. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

I honestly see little difference between the 10-10.5 year age gap between Rey and Kylo, and the 13 year age gap between Rey and Poe. At the end of the day, it is about finding love and compatibility and the story being told.

I don't get whats so problematic about the actor's ages. It is pretty common for movies to have a romantic pairing of an actress in her 20s with an actor in his 30s so I don't see anything controversial or unusual about it. TBH, all that should matter is that the pair look good together and have chemistry, which they obviously do.

I like your observation on duality, especially seeing the parallel images of Rey and Poe always showing one in the dark and the other in the light....I've mentioned this before but if their relationship wasn't important, they would not have had the onscreen introduction (as many assumed they met on D'Qar) or she could have just briefly nodded at Poe after hugging Finn when they were reunited since Poe was in the same scene.

Rey and Poe definitely fall into the category of rebel leader and jedi, and each trilogy has had an important relationship between a rebel leader and jedi. The one difference is the gender reversal with a female jedi and a male rebel in this trilogy.

Even in the case of Padme, she was one of the most outspoken senators against the Separatists during the Clone Wars and later one of the senators who first questioned the Chancellor's powers, the same group of Imperial Senators who later led the rebel alliance. So in a sense, she too is a rebel.

[​IMG]

Its an interesting thought especially considering so many events in Poe's life being callbacks to Luke and Anakin. Since other canon materials has been disregarded of late in the movies, anything is possible.

Speaking of crazy theories, I have my own regarding Poe's family. Poe's Log and Shattered Empire mention that Shara Bey suffered under the Empire, doesn't like to talk about the past and there is even a mention of young Poe and his grandfather in hiding. After the recent Vader comics showing a list of jedi survivors (and the abandoned story idea that Lyra Erso was a former jedi), I have a head canon that one of Poe's grandparents is a former jedi who survived the purge, which would have made Shara Bey's childhood difficult and could explain Luke giving her the force tree sapling and Poe showing force sensitivity amplified by the force tree. Of course, this is just a crazy head canon of mine. :-B

Since Rian Johnson referred to the Jedi Path book for Luke's force projection ability, it is entirely possible that Poe's ability to heal the burned force tree (and not just any ordinary tree) was also derived from this book and is indicative of his connection to the force.

[​IMG]

Its interesting that Rey and Poe both see the good in people (Rey saw the good in Kylo despite him killing her father figure Han, Poe saw the good in Oddy Muva though he caused the death of Poe's surrogate Uncle L'ulo) and also have this inclination towards healing and fixing things. Rey fixes BB-8's antenna, she finds the compressor in the Millennium Falcon etc...Poe heals the burned force tree, tries to mend things between Snap and Kare and calm Jessika Pava when she gets stressed remembering her childhood traumas. I see both Rey and Poe working together in the future once the trilogy is done, (whether they are romantically involved or not) to heal the galaxy and the force.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Darkspellmaster, mlsw and Ben-Solo like this.
  17. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    I will say that the story of Rey and Poe and Finn and Kylo Ren (…) continues in a way that I couldn’t be more excited about and cannot wait for people to see.
    Interesting that JJ said Rey and Poe first. And Kylo Ren dead last, cause he's not part of the trio, he's the big bad.

Darkspellmaster, panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  18. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    I will say that the story of Rey and Poe and Finn and Kylo Ren (…) continues in a way that I couldn’t be more excited about and cannot wait for people to see.
    Interesting that JJ said Rey and Poe first. And Kylo Ren dead last, cause he's not part of the trio, he's the big bad.

ahsokatano713 and mlsw like this.
  19. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    MOD EDIT: NO PIRATED MATERIAL

YOU GUYS IT'S THE SCENE IN HD! OMG HEARTEYES AND THE CAMERA FOCUSES ON HIM LOOKING AT HER.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Darkspellmaster, panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Poe and Rey's dynamic in Ep. 9? Awkward because he keeps trying to charm her even though she's in a relationship with Finn.

Poe: So Rey what you doing tonight?

Rey: Hanging out with Finn.

Poe: Oh right. Well what about the next night?

Rey: Hanging out with Finn.

Poe: Ah. Is there any night you're not hanging out with Finn?

Rey: No.

Rey: Okay then. I get it. *gets in his X-wing and does a barrel roll while feeling sad*

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    WebLurker and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  21. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Confirmation bias is not a credible argument.

Aetius888 likes this.
  22. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    His eyes look amazed. Not in love. I do agree the looks in the Falcon are more suggestive, whether intentional remaining to be seen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Darkspellmaster, Yora and panki like this.
  23. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Bias? There's no bias. He's the center of the shot, it's more focused on his reaction then anyone else's. That's for a reason IMO.

24. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    MOD EDIT: NO PIRATED MATERIAL

:)

Darkspellmaster, Ben-Solo and panki like this.
  25. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    To be fair, the camera focuses on all of them in this type of framing&composition and...

Well, where should he look during this scene?

At the rocks?

Yora, Darth Smurf and WebLurker like this.