main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm not sure about heart eyes but there is a definite focus on Poe's face and he looks completely awestruck. Again, its not surprising that they focused on Poe as he was the one of the few people who grew up hearing about jedi and the force during a time when the galaxy was forgetting about these things....so seeing Rey using force powers to lift boulders was like watching a fairy tale come to life.

[​IMG]

That being said, I found their interaction on the Millennium Falcon a lot more suggestive of a potential romance, though his noticing her as he emerged from the dark cave could be interpreted as the first steps leading to it.

Handsome and charming as Finn is, I don't see him as the type to juggle two romances with Rose and Rey. :cool: Here is what I see in Episode IX:

Poe: So Rey what you doing tonight?

Rey: Sitting here rebuilding my lightsaber and reading old jedi books.

Poe: Oh right. Well, where are Finn and Rose?

Rey: Out on a date, like every other night.

Poe: Ah.

Rey: How about joining me for a ride on the Millennium Falcon?

Poe: Wow! Sure.
    *They get in the Falcon cockpit, bicker over who will pilot it, who is the better pilot etc., and then zoom around gleefully* [face_devil]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Darkspellmaster likes this.
  2. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @panki @cappoe @Darkspellmaster @Lost_Hope

Well, well, well....
    This is going to be particulary hard.. but I'll try to do my best.

I believe that all the scenes set on Crait symbolically are heavily influenced by the alchemic tradition and its symbolism
    That is why it's going to be hard trying to explain it all: alchemist texts and authors in fact are not that consistent.
    One may find the same "object/thing/name" used to symbolize different things and the process of the so called "great work"
    it's not always the same.

But few things are for sure:
    1 - In many works, 2 are the basic elemts of all the alchemical work:
    Sulfur (masculin, fire, gold) and Mercury (feminine, water, silver)
    The two are considered the parents of all metals.
    But, in some views, there are 3 elemets sulfur, mercury and salt.

2- The goal of the great work is the creation of the Philospher's Stone and one way to rapresent it, it's the phoenix,
    a symbol of re-birth.
    As said, several times here, the movie ends with the broom boy and his rebellion ring...
    And the rebellion crest is.. a phoenix.

In addition, usually in SW that phoenix is red (as it is in alchemy to rapresent the "philosopher's stone")
    In the broom boy's ring... it's white.
    One may think it's a random choice. I believe it's not: in fact even tho the movie finale hints
    to the re-birth of the Jedi Order and of the Rebellion, it doens't end (and it can't end)
    where the "great work" ends (red). It ends at the previous stage (the second of three) that in alchemy is rapresented by... white.

3- This is an alchemist motto:
    Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem,”
    “Visit the interior of the earth and rectifying (purifying) you will find the hidden stone.”

The motto has at least a double meaning. It may hint to the goal of all the great work but also
    to its beginning: to creat the philosopher's stone, you have to work on some "stuff" (materia prima) you find inside a cave.

And this is where things start to get even more complicated, because the ideas diverge (a lot).

However, going back to movie, I think it's safe to say that in TLJ we hear Holdo, Poe and Leia speaking about the Resistance
    as the "sparks that will set the fire, etc..."
    On Crait, they are tapped inside a cave.
    A red mineral is everywere: and in alchemy, sometimes the sulfur itself is red, sometimes a red stuff is
    that "materia prima" at a stage that precedes the extraction of purified sulfur from (or using a special)... salt.
    Overall, I believe there's an identification sulfur/Resistance.
    But the cave is also equal to death or to that spiritual death, that precedes the purification and a spiritual re-birth by meeting the light.
    And on Crait, the resistance is about to be totally destroyed: the spark is about to go off (Leia's words). Destrution and spiritual death.

Then.. first comes Luke.
    He is the green lion that dies heating (watching, assorbing) the sun, so that
    the "materia prima" can be prepared for the finale work on it.

He is the so called "V.i.t.r.i.o.l." (an acronomy from the motto above).
    A super-powerfull salt, that frees the sulfur, purifies it and allows the meeting sulfur-mercury.

Rey is both the light at the end of the cave and the purified mercury meeting the purified sulfur.
    Purified, because she's passed through her personal purification (another cave - with water - and whatever happened on
    the supremacy = spiritual death) and because the Jedi were purified as well (they died and were purified symbolically by
    the burning of the tree and with Luke's sacrifice).
    Add to that:
    1- in some textes when the vitriol is used upon mercury (the Jedi) to purify it, a a comet appears on it.
    And what is the last scene of the movie? A comet, rapresenting Luke's legacy.

2- Sometimes, in some textes, it's the mercury that has to frees the sulfur (the resistance), separing it from salt...
    which is exactly what rey (mercury) does lifting the salt stones.

If that makes any sense, and it does - IMO - even tho the similarities are on a very general level and sometimes they
    work on more than one single meaning, just because alchemy is a tradition too much inconsistent, I think
    it's not coincidence that Poe - as the character that rapresents the Resistance and as a character that has passed
    through another personal spiritual death/purification is not only the one that find the way and people follow, but the one literally
    holding the torch (the light) and the first one that sees first the stones that tapped them all inside and then Rey.

And if I'm right, that it's consistent with what I said about TFA (the light/dark duality hidden in the parallels between the 2 characters)
    and with the idea that both TFA and TLJ used these two characters to symbolize the duality male/female principles, Republic/Jedi
    etc... and that the Jedi and the Republic are the elements that are going to creat in IX the "philosopher's stone" whatever it may be (but to those of you who know about my WildCrazyHeadCanon... yes: it adds point to that)

Sorry if it's complicated, but I cannot do better than that.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    There is always bias. (Heck, I'm biased, too.) In this case, in context, there is no reason to believe that the scene is telling us that he's interested in her; "Holy crap, look what's happening" would be just as plausible, probably more so given that everyone else has similar expressions.

I'd say it's a group shot anyways.

Darkspellmaster and Ben-Solo like this.
  4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Dialogue from Ep. 9:

Poe: Rey if somebody asks if you're a god you say YES!!!

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree; the interaction on the Millenium Falcon is the more suggestive of the two scenes; although the escape and him being at the forefront I believe was more about symbolism and passing of the torch (from Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa) to Poe Dameron and Rey, than overtunes of romance. Now the line used and the circumstances surrounding the Falcon scene is very suggestive. Only a few more weeks and we can really find more out with the Blu-Ray release and novelization interpetation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Darkspellmaster and mlsw like this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @cappoe Do not post pirated images/gifs/video from TLJ. If it's not from officially released material it's considered pirated.

And also, do not double/triple post. You have to either edit your posts together into one, or wait until someone else posts before continuing.

7. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    No offense sir but that is officially released material. It's in the Force of Sound ABC special.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/abc_news_features

How about you do your research next time before coming off so rude and accusing me of doing something as low as pirating things.

I hope I get an apology from you for this accusation and to reupload those images you deleted that are not pirated.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    How about next time you have issues with a moderator edit you message that moderator with your proof than trying to derail a thread?

Now back on topic.

9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Also Han to C-3PO in Jedi!

10. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not sure I saw anything that would suggest Finn is romantically tied to Rose. It's consistent with his character to put the well-being of his friends first. The only person he's overtly shown attraction to so far (imo) is Rey, who also noticed he was spending a lot of time looking after Rose. That all said, I'd much rather no romance in the ST than trying to clumsily rush any of these characters together. The only thing worse would be to navigate a love triangle in the remaining film. The pace of the story has been too fast up to this point for any of that.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Darkspellmaster, mlsw and panki like this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Caption Contest:

Poe: And then this chick comes out in a dress with purple hair and I'm like "wait what?"

11-4D, Darkspellmaster and Birkendoc like this.
  13. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    In keeping with Rian Johnson's dialogue style shouldn't that be...

Poe: And then this 'who now?' comes out in a dress with 'what now?' hair and i'm like "wait what?"

That comic looks intriguing. I don't think they'll take us any further than them having a chat on the falcon literally on that same flight in the moments after the end of the movie though.

I wonder if Poe's comic will continue though with ongoing adventures set between 8 and 9. I guess that depends on how sure JJ is about the direction he's taking. Like whether some time has passed or they just pick up straight away on the falcon.

Darkspellmaster and mlsw like this.
  14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Darkspellmaster, panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  15. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    This is exciting and his comic is canon, very excited for the possibilities that can occur moving forward.

Darkspellmaster and panki like this.
  16. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Some leaks came from the novel. Nothing really of importance we didn't know. Reylo was basically torpedoed but that's beside the point. The pass the torch scene was basically interpreted the way I suspected. A passing of the torch that Finn didn't really want to do but knew it was for the best. Especially cause he was about to go on his adventure with Rose where there could be danger. Poe being given Rey's beacon was significant. There's still nothing on the finale of the novel though in regards to Poe and Rey's meeting or what Poe was thinking when he sees Rey for the first time or anything like that.

That was not in the leaks.

Darkspellmaster, panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It seems abit late now for them to attempt a Poe and Rey romance, since how you gonna pull that off in episode 9 aswell as everything else they wanna focus on?

They only just met at the end of episode 8.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    It's going to be a pretty interesting time on that thread.

Color me intrigued.

I'm wondering if keeping it vague would be best. That way, if Abrams goes a different way than Johnson did, we won't have another discrepancy.

19. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    If I understand well every chapter is told from one of the characters pov.
    I think it could be interesting to know from what pov the chapter about the Falcon has been told.

But overall, I don't think the novel validates or belittles any read.

Or to say it better, I think it's pretty much in line with the movie and I think people will find validations
    for their own takes.

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I think confirmation bias is a huge hazard in these circles; a user here thinks that the leaked scraps from the novelization disprove the Reylo idea, while on one of the Reylo threads, I'm seeing a lot of comments to the effect of "the novelization proves us right." Obviously, both can't be right.

21. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Guys!!!!

So star wars rebels recently had an episode called a world between worlds. In it you have a scene where the voices of various force users are quoted. You have Yoda, Obi wan, Luke, Leia, Ahsoka, Kanan, Rey, Kylo, Leia, Anakin. ALL are Force Users.

But the really interesting thing comes from the fact that there are two voices from non confirmed Force Users.

JYN from RO. Her mother was supposed to be a former Jedi. AND
    POE.
    You read right. POE IS QUOTED WITH KNOWN FORCE USERS.

So what does this mean. Well this could be a huge hint and a clue to fans that Poe is probably force sensitive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-rebels-voices-world-between/amp/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    panki, cappoe and Ben-Solo like this.
  22. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I like what you're selling and this could help establish a deeper bond between Rey and Poe especially if they're both force-sensitive; I believe that force tree that fragments of, which Luke Skywalker gave to Shara Bey will continue to have an affect on the overall Poe Dameron narrative; all this does is make me speculate further that he could really be force-sensitive.

The quote used for Poe Dameron is interesting as well...

Not only because of the foreshadowing it gave us, but the scene itself; Poe is literally the first one in the interrogation chair, and the first to initally withstand his mind probe if even for a little bit; before losing that fight (could lead to a force-senstive moment for Poe that he tapped into that he didn't realize?) ~ and then of course his current position as the Resistance leader. (ref. the quote)

panki and Darkspellmaster like this.
  23. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    I've always believed truly that Poe Dameron is force sensitive. The fact he has the only force tree in the galaxy is also a huge plus.

panki and Darkspellmaster like this.
  24. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    We hear Leia’s message to Obi Wan, Jyn Erso telling the time to fight has came and Poe
    speaking about the resistance.
    Once again I think the point is the Republic/Rebellion/Resistence.

Also...the “Jedi’s” quotes are about the nature of the force or about attachment as a problem..
    In fact the point of Ezra arc is that he has to let go Kanan. To accept his death
    and to understand what he is supposed to do.

There is something pointing to the idea that balance is indeed the will of the force.
    Meaning not only that the force seeks balance, but that balance it’s when you do
    what the true will of the force asks you to do...

In this sence Jedi and rebels are instruments of the force will.

But I need to see how Rebels will end... something is till missing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    panki likes this.
  25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    So far as we know, Lyra Erso was not a former Jedi. She had a religious view of the Force, but that's it. As as Poe goes, possible? It would be the only clue so far that he did have a Force connection and seeing as they included Jyn, who did not (once again, so far as we know) have the Force, it looks like being Force sensitive is not a requirement for being represented.

Short answer; I think I'm going to want to see more data before drawing a final answer. It could turn out to be true, but it also seems like there's a reasonable case that we're mistaken.

I feel like the tree has become something of misnomer. There is zero evidence that the tree can influence someone being Force-sensitive. No offense, but it feels like the argument boils down to: "we want Poe to be a Force user, so this could make it happen," instead of "facts XYZ could lead to that conclusion." I mean, there is zero indication in the movies that Poe is a Force user, which there arguably should've been by now if LucasFilm was going to go that route.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Yora likes this.